logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TechDad  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2024 1:26:59 PM(UTC)
TechDad

Groups: Registered
United States

Not sure what I want to do is possible or how to set it up if it is.

Our PA system feeds into our USB audio interface and then into or streaming PC. I would like to be able to use the audio out jack on the PC to play our choruses through the PA system. Hope that makes sense.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2024 9:36:36 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Hello. If i understand well what you need to do. You have to go vmix-->settings-->Audio outputs and in one Audio bus to select your pc audio out jack. Then in your choruses vmix input in audio mixer you select the audio bus from A to G (right click for buses C to G) the one you assigned your audio out pc jack and connect your audio out jack cable into your PA system. So now you will send the audio out to your PA system
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
TechDad on 6/8/2024(UTC)
TechDad  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2024 10:29:44 PM(UTC)
TechDad

United States

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. If i understand well what you need to do. You have to go vmix-->settings-->Audio outputs and in one Audio bus to select your pc audio out jack. Then in your choruses vmix input in audio mixer you select the audio bus from A to G (right click for buses C to G) the one you assigned your audio out pc jack and connect your audio out jack cable into your PA system. So now you will send the audio out to your PA system

Yes,thats what I want to do. Thank you for the info.

TechDad  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2024 8:17:54 AM(UTC)
TechDad

United States

Well,not sure if it's doing what I want it to do or not. The audio from the PC is louder than the audio coming into the USB audio device.

If I try to add an audio input,I can't since I'm already using 4 and I have none left.
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2024 7:11:38 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TechDad Go to Quoted Post
The audio from the PC is louder than the audio coming into the USB audio device.
If I try to add an audio input, I can't since I'm already using 4 and I have none left.

Unfortunately (speaking as an audio engineer) your description is too ambiguous for me to know exactly what you mean. However, here's what I think you should be doing.

1) Assign one of your hardware audio devices to an audio bus in vMix (eg Bus B), and (most importantly) make sure no other software (eg. Windows itself) is using that device for audio output (as may be the case if you've selected the built-in audio output). You need to make sure that no other sound is being sent to the PA apart from what you select in vMix, via the chosen bus (eg Bus B).

2) Physically connect that audio output to an input on your PA mixer/amplifier. Adjust levels on the PA, presumably so that the playback audio is at a similar level to other audio going through the PA (and then to vMix).

3) Route the audio playback from vMix (that you want to send to the PA) to that designated bus (eg Bus B), and that bus ONLY (not to Master as well). You will get to use it in vMix as part of the return signal consisting of mixed audio from the PA. That signal, from the output of the PA and coming in via your USB interface, should be sent to the Master bus and not to the one used for playback.

TechDad  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2024 12:28:21 PM(UTC)
TechDad

United States

If I'm just playing voice audio,then things are ok. If I start to play our Chorus music,the music is so loud that you can't hear anyone singing when I play back the video.

I though about just using external powered speakers to play the music. Our mics would pick up the music and then voices will still go through the PA system.
zenvideo  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 4:12:40 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
If I'm just playing voice audio, then things are ok. If I start to play our Chorus music, the music is so loud that you can't hear anyone singing when I play back the video.

Let me check that I understand what you're saying. Are you playing two different types of file, (A) a type which has "voice audio, and (B) another type with "Chorus music", in which the level tend to be much higher than in type A?

If so, then can you not set the audio level in vMix to a lower level for playing the (B) files than for the (A) files?

Or another solution would be to produce a set of "lower level" Chorus music files by loading them into an audio editor like Audition, reducing the level, and saving them back out (with a slightly different name), and using the modified files in vMix.

It's not entirely clear from your statement as to where the level is too loud. Is it in the streamed output from vMix (in which case lower the level in vMix) or from the speakers of the PA system (in which case lower the input volume on the PA mixer/amp of the signal coming from vMix). Traditionally, there would be no expectation that all levels from a playback device would be the same, so there would be an element of human intervention to adjust the levels on the PA system according to what the source was sending and how loud the output needed to be in relation to other sources.
TechDad  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 7:15:55 AM(UTC)
TechDad

United States

Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
If I'm just playing voice audio, then things are ok. If I start to play our Chorus music, the music is so loud that you can't hear anyone singing when I play back the video.

Let me check that I understand what you're saying. Are you playing two different types of file, (A) a type which has "voice audio, and (B) another type with "Chorus music", in which the level tend to be much higher than in type A?

You are correct. The main audio is coming from the PA system in the the Motu M2 that feeds the audio to the live stream. The Chorus music is played form the same PC using a USB DI box. This is probably the issue then.
https://www.kopulcables....-PA-Systems-&-Mixers

If so, then can you not set the audio level in vMix to a lower level for playing the (B) files than for the (A) files?

Or another solution would be to produce a set of "lower level" Chorus music files by loading them into an audio editor like Audition, reducing the level, and saving them back out (with a slightly different name), and using the modified files in vMix.

Didn't think of this.

It's not entirely clear from your statement as to where the level is too loud. Is it in the streamed output from vMix (in which case lower the level in vMix) or from the speakers of the PA system (in which case lower the input volume on the PA mixer/amp of the signal coming from vMix). Traditionally, there would be no expectation that all levels from a playback device would be the same, so there would be an element of human intervention to adjust the levels on the PA system according to what the source was sending and how loud the output needed to be in relation to other sources.

Yes. I have tried to lower the volume in vMix,but doesn't work.

I'm out of town for a few days,I'll have to mess with it more when I get back. I may have the output bus settings set up wrong.