logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mediZA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2024 7:33:49 PM(UTC)
mediZA

Groups: Registered
South Africa

I work within hospitals for training, and typically run 3x PTZ cameras and one feed from an angio lab which has a DVI out using Blackmagic Atem ISO extreme with SDI PTZ cams quite successfully. But audio has had a lot of noise which we think links back to the long cable runs and the proximty of medical diagnostic equipment (CT Scan). Also issues creep in with the SDI/HDMI adapters and long cable runs from time to time and thus have decided to try and switch to NDI. Important note equipment moves frequently and only gets set up for a day or so a few times a year. No permanent cabling etc (the hospital is completely wired though with 6E and 10gb switches connected via fiber.

As a first step we are experimentign with Dante for Audio to try and solve the noise issues. Since we switchng to Ethernet the plan is to dump the ATEM go to VMIX and switch to three NDI cameras and use an ndi encoder to connect to the DVI from the CT Scanner as well.

Currently the 'broadcast' is sent to a large training room and displayed via projectors to the learners.

In the future there is a desire to now also add up to two camera's in the training room, with a presentation also on NDI and have a video of the training room going back to the O.R. for the operators to see whats happening in the training room.

I think I will need two VMIX PC's one in the OR processing the 4 video feeds from the O.R. and the Dante audio there and one in the training room with 2 cameras and a presentation and dante there. Everything is local on 10g network an in its own domain.

The final future goal is two have up to three people 'dial in' on a zoom call or the likes to be added into the mix.

Ideally all 5 PTZ's, the dvi out from the diagnostic CT Scanner, the powerpoint presentation, and the callers can be controlled/mixed from one location in the training room. Understanding that Rome wasnt built in a day, the first computer is about to be bought and the following broad thoughts are being discussed and YOUR input would be massively appreciated. Additionally 1080p is more than enough and NDI HX instead of Full NDI should be adequate.

Intel® CoreTM i9-14900K and a 4080 Super with 32gb memory and two seperate 2TB Nvme drives all in a 5U Rackmount Server Chassis screwed into a Stagg ABS 10u case for easy transport between hospitals with the group. Should we consider AMD, is the 4080 the right GPU how much memory do w really need?

Thanks
AudioGreg  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2024 1:26:53 AM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I've done OR (actually Cath Lab) setups in many hospitals. We run a single fiber cable between the CR and OR and have a breakout box for 6 SDI inputs and 2 SDI outs, plus a managed switch for things like Dante/Coms, PTZ control, and a 10G NDI network we typically don't use. We use Barco ImagePros to convert several imaging device feeds in addition to 3 PTZ cams. We would feed off-site conferences and take a return feed for live questions during the procedures. We prefer a hardware switcher for these events, but using NDI/vMix instead would not be a big deal IMO.

I don't think you need 2 vMix computers, provided it is build to handle enough sources, esp if your sources are all local. 6 NDI/PPT/3zoom isn't all that taxing for the right computer, I've pulled this off frequently with a i9-9900k. I've done multi site conferences from home on one computer, with inbound and return feeds to several locations. Easy to setup return monitor feeds that auto-follow the stream content so each venue gets what they need without having to manually switch each feed. This provides for good interaction between the sites.

The big red flag for me in your setup is relying on the hospital's IT infrastructure to connect your NDI/Dante gear. Over here, hospitals are about the most locked down networks I come across, and never optimized for AV traffic. I run all of my own IT over my own fiber. Dante/NDI/engineering all have their own vLans and settings to ensure I don't have issues. As such my IP address plan never has to change either.
thanks 1 user thanked AudioGreg for this useful post.
mediZA on 4/30/2024(UTC)
mediZA  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2024 5:23:46 AM(UTC)
mediZA

South Africa

Thank you, I will do some homework on the Barco ImagePros. I will take your advice and settle on the i9. One question which graphics card would you recommend.

With regards to the hospital network, they network administrator have preconfigured certain ports when connected to automatically route the traffic onto a different IP range and subnet mask, completely seperated from hospital traffic. I am not sure how to check how they'll cope with AV traffic. With the long run (yes we're in cath lab, which is about 200m away and on a seperate floor where we cant run our own cables between point a and b).

Tx again!
AudioGreg  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2024 6:52:04 AM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
well the best way to check is to just plug it all in and see what happens. Routing (if that is what they do) isn't the best plan, keeping your stuff in isolated vLANs is the best way. Dante needs certain QoS in place in the switches to make sure the clock and audio packets absolutely get to where/when they are needed - no clock no audio :-( NDI needs different tweaks to keep it happy. Multicast management (or lack thereof) is what usually gets most people in trouble. problems you may see include no/glitchy/static audio, and no/stuttering video. good luck.

as far as running your own cable, we have many tricks to get cable thru doorways/stairwells and off of floors where gurney traffic would be bothered. 200M isn't really that far of a run IMO. it's always worth it for us to stay out of facility provided cables. most can't transport our SDI and WDM fiber signals anyway.

GPU, we use Quadro RTX4000 in our older systems, most of the new builds get A4000/A4500. This with i9-14xxx should serve you very well. The great thing about the Barcos is that they have loop thrus for all of the input sources. Stick them between imaging device and monitor, then convert to whatever you need. they support vga/dvi/hdmi/sdi/analog component.