logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VideoE  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2024 8:50:30 AM(UTC)
VideoE

Groups: Registered
United States

Desperately Seeking Portability, I remembered this video from Tim. video.

That tablet was on-sale here in the states and I went for it; and overall it's a great box for my niche. I mostly do live conference video engineering, Tech/Cam Dir., Hi-Rez switching with Barco E2's etc. Which means packing a portable ref. monitor, tools, cables and adapters that end up weighing a lot in a backpack. But even in these shows, which are with primarily dedicated hardware boxes using SDI in/out, my vMix skills often come into play. So adding this tablet to my already heavy backpack as a secondary camera switch for an online audience, to supply lwr 3rds for both live and online content, for extra records, etc. is relatively painless.

So the tablet seemed perfect. But I've run into some gotchas, and was wondering if anyone here got the same computer and experienced the same problems, which didn't get highlighted in the video. Maybe I'm just missing something?

Problem 1: The thunderbolt 4 port is what ASUS wants you to use with their special 100 watt charger. If you use the other usb-c port, by the opti-con connector, it won't recognize or pass the full 100 watts from that 'special' 100 watt charger, clamping it down to 65 watts. So no 'Turbo' mode. Did Tim experience any of this, because with a decently loaded project like his and power thru the usb-c port as opposed to the TB4 port it needs to supplement power with the battery, so the battery drains a few percent every hour. (I don't know if using a Thunderbolt 3/4 dock with a usb-c PD port would bypass this issue or not, then the tablets' TB4 port could be used for both full power and Data.) But using the usb-c 3.2 port for limited power and
the TB4 port just as a Data port, I'm encountering...

Problem 2: Using an external box with a Magewell capture card, Tim got his 4 cams just fine. Using my BM Decklink Duo 2 in a Sonnett box the ROG z13's TB4 port, it rarely acknowledges/connects with it and so far it has not let me access all 4 ports, ever. That same port WILL readily hook-up to the BM ultra-studio mini recorder. And my Legion 7i laptops' TB 4 port will readily connect with both the mini-recorder and the Sonnett/Decklink Duo 2 combo. So the maybe the ROG z13s' TB4 port is picky?

If anyone else has tried using this notebook, the ASUS ROG Flow z13 and had similar, perplexing issues, I would love to hear from you. And if you have answers/work-arounds I would really love to hear from you.