logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chabad360  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 5:06:15 AM(UTC)
chabad360

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First of all, thanks for the new Zoom Features, they're really great. I didn't think I'd care that much about them at first, but being as I have some Zoom based broadcasts in the near future, I was testing this feature set out, and it's actually very helpful (esp. cause the Zoom UI slows to a crawl if I enable HD camera capture, and Zoom ISO only works on MacOS and only for Zoom Rooms).

Now that I've played around with it a bit, a few feature requests come to mind:
  • Support for using the user token (TK/ZAK) from the URL (e.g. `https://zoom.us/w/1234567890?tk=<user token str>pwd=<abc>`).
    This makes life much less complicated if you don't have login access to an actual account registered for that meeting or if that account is part of an org and doesn't have permissions (yet!) for the Zoom app.
  • More error visibility.
    It's not clear why -when using the recording capture mode- nothing works (if local recording isn't allowed), if there was some indicator of some sort, that would make it a lot easier to use.
    Also, if something is blocking the connection (registration required, etc.) there's no indicator either.
  • Basic meeting controls.
    Zoom seems to like streaming the video in higher resolution only if said video is pinned or spotlighted. Having the ability from within vMix to pin and/or spotlight the participant sources would make it a lot easier to not need a separate client open.
    Some other controls would also be nice, like spotlighting/pinning the vMix output, kicking a user, letting them in from the waiting room, etc.
  • Chat with specific people.
    As the chat is integrated, it would be rather nice to be able to both control who you send messages to and who you can get messages from (or even to allow approving messages prior to putting them in the data source).
  • Allow just streaming to Zoom/using Zoom as an output.
    If I want to just stream to Zoom, I don't want to prompt users with notifications about the meeting being recorded/live-streamed.
    While we're at it, being able to (at least) stream to multiple Zooms meetings would also be very helpful (in general, multiple meetings support seems like it would allow one to skirt the 30mpbs limit).
  • Mix Shared Screen Audio and Participant audio.
    It's a little funny to me that you can pull either the user, their screen, or everyone. Seems like an oversight not to also allow getting just the user and their screen together.
  • Disable output.
    There should be an option to disable the Audio and video outputs (separately). Very useful if you just need to capture a feed (as otherwise you end up sending the participant's output back to them).
    Also, it would be nice if we could use an audio bus without needing to also give that bus a real output.
  • Enable stereo as a separate option.
    Zoom warns that this incurs an extra cost on clients, and while I imagine that the effect is probably negligible, the fact that they warn about it makes me a bit more apprehensive to just enable it anyway.

This is the initial list of things that came up after my bit of playing around. There's probably more things that I will want after using it over the weekend, but so far this is it (not to disregard the fact that as it is, this is a very useful feature set).
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 11:04:03 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
chabad360,
An interesting set of requests. But...

Generally it is a good idea to search the Forum for same or similar requests. Most of the things you ask for have already been discussed. Including the notion from Admin that the idea with the (current) implementation with Zoom in vMix is to bring guests IN, not to produce for Zoom.

Also, please post only one (1) request per topic. That makes it easier for us users, and the vMix team, to focus the discussion as well as evaluate the need and the use cases.

Thanks,

/richard
chabad360  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2024 2:53:18 AM(UTC)
chabad360

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post
Generally it is a good idea to search the Forum for same or similar requests. Most of the things you ask for have already been discussed.
I do usually, but being as this was a brand new feature, I didn't think there would be much about it. But good to know for the future.

Quote:
Including the notion from Admin that the idea with the (current) implementation with Zoom in vMix is to bring guests IN, not to produce for Zoom.
They did, however, ultimately provide those features, and, save one, my requests aren't exclusively about output (or are rather important for capturing input).

Also, most (but not all) of my requests are QoL improvements not major changes. Which is why I brought them up. I would be surprised if all of these were actually anticipated during pre-implementation discussions.

Either way, thanks for the feedback, and I'll keep it in mind for the future.
thanks 1 user thanked chabad360 for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 2/1/2024(UTC)