logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arthurbr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 2:44:07 AM(UTC)
arthurbr

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

The situation is as follows: we have 3 studios with vmix and one 24/7 broadcast pc. The studios will send their output to the broadcast pc via NDI. The Broadcast pc will send its output via HDMI to a television. The broadcast pc will get its regular content from an automated scheduler. But when a studio is producing live content, I want the automated scheduling to stop or be overruled by the live content. And would like that process to be automated or require as little intervention as possible.

For context I work at a school with 3 vmix studios. One TV studio, a radio studio, and a podcast studio. I know how to manually overrule the broadcast pc but to make everything work seamlessly and preferably also when I’m not present, I would like as much to be automated as possible. And don’t want the students to be able to access the broadcast pc. I’ve thought of maybe adding a stream deck with companion where a button loads in a preset on the broadcast PC but that would require some VPN magic witch, which I don’t think IT would be happy with. Anyone with a better idea please enlighten me. and thanks for reading.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 5:43:07 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: arthurbr Go to Quoted Post
The situation is as follows: we have 3 studios with vmix and one 24/7 broadcast pc. The studios will send their output to the broadcast pc via NDI. The Broadcast pc will send its output via HDMI to a television. The broadcast pc will get its regular content from an automated scheduler. But when a studio is producing live content, I want the automated scheduling to stop or be overruled by the live content. And would like that process to be automated or require as little intervention as possible.

For context I work at a school with 3 vmix studios. One TV studio, a radio studio, and a podcast studio. I know how to manually overrule the broadcast pc but to make everything work seamlessly and preferably also when I’m not present, I would like as much to be automated as possible. And don’t want the students to be able to access the broadcast pc. I’ve thought of maybe adding a stream deck with companion where a button loads in a preset on the broadcast PC but that would require some VPN magic witch, which I don’t think IT would be happy with. Anyone with a better idea please enlighten me. and thanks for reading.

Hello. The broadcast pc runs vmix 24/7 and the time that live broadcast start is known before it begin? If yes,there is a free solution-workaround to do this.
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
arthurbr on 12/23/2023(UTC)
arthurbr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 6:27:15 AM(UTC)
arthurbr

Netherlands

Well, that’s the tricky part, live shows are prescheduled. But they are of course students, and it’s quite common for them to delay or cancel a show. Or spontaneity decide to make a show or change the duration. And that would require me to always be hands-on with the scheduling something I don’t necessarily want to do but more importantly can’t do on some days.
What solutions are there / would you recommend? And cost within reason is not a problem.
nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 6:42:20 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Well, that’s the tricky part, live shows are prescheduled. But they are of course students, and it’s quite common for them to delay or cancel a show. Or spontaneity decide to make a show or change the duration. And that would require me to always be hands-on with the scheduling something I don’t necessarily want to do but more importantly can’t do on some days.
What solutions are there / would you recommend? And cost within reason is not a problem.

ok if i understand you dont have exact time for start-stop. I will tell you what im doing for the sunday service church we have to start-stop without me to know the exact time. But you dont answer if you run vmix broadcast 24/7.And how you run it. In a manual way or auto with a tool?
My way to do this
1. I have a ndi input in vmix from church.
2.In this input i have a trigger that says-->onaudiodbmeter6-->transition-->cut direct-->church
3.So when they start to broadcast and have sound vmix will cut to this source
4.Here you must stop if you have a 3rd party tool for scheduler in vmix. im using scheduler for vmix so the between time i stop it
5.For transition out from this source,im using a vmix script that monitor the audio and if there is silence for x seconds it will cut to other source and then im using again the scheduler for the next show
Other way to do this in vmix from students pc vmix is also with a script, if a condition exist or not. For example if the students when they go live,they press record or stream in their vmix, you can run in combination in their pc and your broadcast vmix pc scripts that will "see" if record in their pc is active or not and if yes cut to the broadcast vmix in this source and when not,continue your vmix broadcast program
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
arthurbr on 12/23/2023(UTC)
arthurbr  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 8:05:21 AM(UTC)
arthurbr

Netherlands

My bad for not clarifying that part, I’m thinking about using an automation tool. so, it can send the 24/7 broadcast to vmix over NDI. That way I have just one source in Vmix, but if there is a better way I would love to know. I’m currently considering V-Task.
And your solution with the sound is brilliant. I had not considered it, but that would work flawlessly... the only problem I could imagine is that in the tv studio vmix is already sending out a lot of external sources for in-studio monitoring. So, I would have to figure out a way around that. But I think I could make a shortcut for that. Or would changing external outputs require a vmix restart?
Your solution with scripts sounds clean as well, but what would that look like? What is the best way to make two vmix PC’s talk with one another on a local network?
nikosman88  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 9:26:49 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

My bad for not clarifying that part, I’m thinking about using an automation tool. so, it can send the 24/7 broadcast to vmix over NDI. That way I have just one source in Vmix, but if there is a better way I would love to know. I’m currently considering V-Task.
And your solution with the sound is brilliant. I had not considered it, but that would work flawlessly... the only problem I could imagine is that in the tv studio vmix is already sending out a lot of external sources for in-studio monitoring. So, I would have to figure out a way around that. But I think I could make a shortcut for that. Or would changing external outputs require a vmix restart?
Your solution with scripts sounds clean as well, but what would that look like? What is the best way to make two vmix PC’s talk with one another on a local network?

Yes you can realtime when vmix runs to change "on the fly" the external outputs. V-task i tried a little it seems to me too complicated but for you,maybe is ok. If you want to have one input on the broadcast vmix and change it to whatever pc it streams,there is 2 shortcuts in vmix api that do this. Select ndi source by the number it count on the ndi input in vmix https://vmixapi.com/?fun...n=NDISelectSourceByIndex
or by name https://vmixapi.com/?fun...on=NDISelectSourceByName
So 1 vmix ndi input can change to multiple ndi sources
You can talk from 1 vmix to another vmix in the local network by using scripting. Of course this means you have 4k or pro/max version of vmix
A script you can use for that is
Code:

Dim request As WebRequest = WebRequest.Create("http://192.168.88.110:8088/api/?Function=StartStopRecording")
 Dim response As HttpWebResponse = request.GetResponse()
 Console.WriteLine((CType(response, HttpWebResponse)).StatusDescription)
 response.Close()

For example this script in vmix pc that has in my local network ip 192.168.88.110:8088 when i run it from another pc in my lan it will do start-stop record
This is a simple example. You can run also with this way a script more complicated that exist in the other lan vmix pc and do what you need
Here in forum there a thread called "Scripting for dummies" to take a lot of ideas. Also me im dummy and most time i improvise and workaround things to succeed my goal.
For the monitoring sources you mentioned, maybe you can somehow work with the audiobuses in vmix and triggers on/off etc
Edit
There is no need even for scripting from scratch. Bitfocus companion programm with vmix companion module can do it with some actions depending on your needs. You add in the programm to watch some action in 2nd pc and when this change on-off will do the magic thing in the main pc! I started to use this program today and im really impressed on the almost infinite combinations you can do to do things!
arthurbr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 10:02:38 PM(UTC)
arthurbr

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post

Yes you can realtime when vmix runs to change "on the fly" the external outputs. V-task i tried a little it seems to me too complicated but for you,maybe is ok. If you want to have one input on the broadcast vmix and change it to whatever pc it streams,there is 2 shortcuts in vmix api that do this. Select ndi source by the number it count on the ndi input in vmix https://vmixapi.com/?fun...n=NDISelectSourceByIndex
or by name https://vmixapi.com/?fun...on=NDISelectSourceByName
So 1 vmix ndi input can change to multiple ndi sources
You can talk from 1 vmix to another vmix in the local network by using scripting. Of course this means you have 4k or pro/max version of vmix
A script you can use for that is
Code:

Dim request As WebRequest = WebRequest.Create("http://192.168.88.110:8088/api/?Function=StartStopRecording")
 Dim response As HttpWebResponse = request.GetResponse()
 Console.WriteLine((CType(response, HttpWebResponse)).StatusDescription)
 response.Close()

For example this script in vmix pc that has in my local network ip 192.168.88.110:8088 when i run it from another pc in my lan it will do start-stop record
This is a simple example. You can run also with this way a script more complicated that exist in the other lan vmix pc and do what you need
Here in forum there a thread called "Scripting for dummies" to take a lot of ideas. Also me im dummy and most time i improvise and workaround things to succeed my goal.
For the monitoring sources you mentioned, maybe you can somehow work with the audiobuses in vmix and triggers on/off etc
Edit
There is no need even for scripting from scratch. Bitfocus companion programm with vmix companion module can do it with some actions depending on your needs. You add in the programm to watch some action in 2nd pc and when this change on-off will do the magic thing in the main pc! I started to use this program today and im really impressed on the almost infinite combinations you can do to do things!

hey,

thanks for all the quick replies. I believe this would solve my issues, I'll update the thread once I've achieved what I was looking for with the solution I ended up with. but indeed some local scripting seems like the cleanest solution. audio levels would work, but as you said I would still need scripting to cut back to non-stop. so might aswell use the stream/record trigger to cut to that NDI input. Thanks a lot!