logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fbcgulfport  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2023 11:02:19 AM(UTC)
Fbcgulfport

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm using an xKeys XK68 Joystick to control a few DataVideo PTC-300 cameras. The only issue I'm having is the PTZ speed.
Currently, I have 4 buttons set to "SetDynamicValue" with different numbers, which can change the value of the PTZ movement speed.
This is a bit clunky as I cannot change the speed mid-movement. I've also tried checking the "Pressure Sensitive" checkbox as well.
This functions much closer to what I'd like, but the speed on the high end is much much too fast. What I think is needed is an option when
enabling the "Pressure Sensitive" option for joysticks, is to be able to set a minimum and maximum speed value.
For example, the ability to set the minimum speed to .1 and the max to .5. Then the full scale of the joystick would go from .1-.5 rather
than from 0-1, since (at least in my case) 1.0 is much to fast.
JessShake  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 3:23:59 AM(UTC)
JessShake

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the same issue. Using an Xbox controller, it is just too sensitive to be of any practical use. Even using the slider to set a maximum speed would be a huge help. Maybe adjusting the response curve would work also? ( the area around the center of the joystick that allows for slow movement is just too small. It ramps up to breakneck speed very quickly!
mavik  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 5:29:56 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
To my knowledge the PTZ in vMix is digital.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 6:40:08 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 921 time(s) in 760 post(s)
if one can read the pressure value one should be able too convert it to a speed value (script?)
(are you sure you mean pressure as Most joysticks use pots to give analog position/throw value?)

A vMix PTZMovexxx function is asking for a speed

Have done it with a RC remote and VISCA commands for a birddog cam zoom ( arduino to serial)
JessShake  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 12:19:14 AM(UTC)
JessShake

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
mavik, you can connect to PTZ cameras and control their physical movement and zoom from within vmix shortcuts, via several different protocols. There is also a virtual PTZ which I believe you are referring to, which you can use with a static camera.

doggy, I haven't dipped into scripting with vMix yet. I don't know how the Xbox controller measures the position of the joystick. I used the term "pressure" because there is a checkbox in vMix, "pressure enabled," in the joystick controller template shortcuts. When you check that box, vMix responds to different positions of the joystick to determine how fast to pan or tilt. The problem is, it is nearly impossible to use. the speed of motion is too fast for over 80% of the possibly joystick positions. Only an extremely tight circle around "center position" results non-dizzying movements. to make matters worse, there seems to be a delay, or ramp-up to speed, that makes it even more difficult to judge movements. There needs to be a way to adjust this sensitivity, with a non-linear (or at least a lower) joystick position-to-speed ratio, or a simple way to limit the speed. Do you think this is achievable with scripting?

We have a couple of Skaarhoj PTZ controllers, which let you set a speed limit. This works beautifully, but there are a lot of use cases where we need to use vMix to control PTZ cameras.