logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SethLT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2023 3:47:17 AM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Hello, I am working on a set where I am utilizing the setlayer function to force my inputs into predetermined sizes for a "2 box" show. It works fine for direct camera feeds but I was wondering if there was a way to set this up where I could also play my b-roll in a box and when it finishes, to switch the layer to another source so the b-roll doesn't just pause.

I've tried a few things but my knowledge is pretty limited here and it's the first time I've ever attempted it.

I was hoping I could set up a trigger that whenever the clip completes, it can setlayer to my "scene 1" and using the "index, input" as "2, preview". I knew it probably wouldn't work, and it didn't, but is there a value I can put in input that would queue up the preview?

Thank you!

Edit 1: I thought I had made myself a good work around. I added preview as an input and then set my input to that input number. At the end, the clip still froze and would not take the next. So it seems like this way of thinking is not possible at all because the trigger doesn't seem to trigger because it's not the actually source being taken. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get the trigger for the source to go even though it's playing within a layer of another source?
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2023 4:51:02 AM(UTC)
doggy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 5,111
Belgium
Location: Belgium

Thanks: 285 times
Was thanked: 926 time(s) in 765 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SethLT Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am working on a set where I am utilizing the setlayer function to force my inputs into predetermined sizes for a "2 box" show. It works fine for direct camera feeds but I was wondering if there was a way to set this up where I could also play my b-roll in a box and when it finishes, to switch the layer to another source so the b-roll doesn't just pause.

I've tried a few things but my knowledge is pretty limited here and it's the first time I've ever attempted it.

I was hoping I could set up a trigger that whenever the clip completes, it can setlayer to my "scene 1" and using the "index, input" as "2, preview". I knew it probably wouldn't work, and it didn't, but is there a value I can put in input that would queue up the preview?

Thank you!

Edit 1: I thought I had made myself a good work around. I added preview as an input and then set my input to that input number. At the end, the clip still froze and would not take the next. So it seems like this way of thinking is not possible at all because the trigger doesn't seem to trigger because it's not the actually source being taken. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get the trigger for the source to go even though it's playing within a layer of another source?


While i dont really understand what you are trying to explain, if a trigger doesnt work one can always check the API XML of an input status with a script and go from there.
WOuld also say not to think as a preview for a usable input, its just what it is , a preview . work with your inputs
SethLT  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2023 5:32:22 AM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SethLT Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am working on a set where I am utilizing the setlayer function to force my inputs into predetermined sizes for a "2 box" show. It works fine for direct camera feeds but I was wondering if there was a way to set this up where I could also play my b-roll in a box and when it finishes, to switch the layer to another source so the b-roll doesn't just pause.

I've tried a few things but my knowledge is pretty limited here and it's the first time I've ever attempted it.

I was hoping I could set up a trigger that whenever the clip completes, it can setlayer to my "scene 1" and using the "index, input" as "2, preview". I knew it probably wouldn't work, and it didn't, but is there a value I can put in input that would queue up the preview?

Thank you!

Edit 1: I thought I had made myself a good work around. I added preview as an input and then set my input to that input number. At the end, the clip still froze and would not take the next. So it seems like this way of thinking is not possible at all because the trigger doesn't seem to trigger because it's not the actually source being taken. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get the trigger for the source to go even though it's playing within a layer of another source?


While i dont really understand what you are trying to explain, if a trigger doesnt work one can always check the API XML of an input status with a script and go from there.
WOuld also say not to think as a preview for a usable input, its just what it is , a preview . work with your inputs


Hey doggy, thanks for the reply.

I will try to explain what I am doing better. Typically, I run a show where everything is full screen. I trigger my B-Roll to automatically take whatever is in the preview when it completes. For this new show, everything is constrained into 2 boxes IE: Big/Little. I was hoping to find a way that when I call my B-Roll into the big screen, when it completes I could get whatever I had in preview to then automatically start in the big box.

How I made my "big/little", I started with a blank virtual set and set my graphic or "big/little" as a layer all the way at the top. Then I put 2 layers for my sources, scaled to each box size. I then took every input and short-cutted it to automatically fit in the dimensions of the box using the "setlayer" function. It works great for live video but when I want to play a package or b-roll I am running into this issue that unless I actively cut just before the clip finishes, it will freeze until I pick a new source. I was hoping to simplify this and automate it a bit more to what I was use to when doing a full screen show.

Let me know if that helps you understand and if you have any other questions or ideas about what I can do.

Thank you!
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2023 8:17:15 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/7/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,608
Man
Location: Canada

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 471 post(s)
@ SethLT

With vMix 4K and above you can add the Preview (and the Output) as an Input, which should work for what yo describe::



Ice
SethLT  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2023 9:26:11 AM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ SethLT

With vMix 4K and above you can add the Preview (and the Output) as an Input, which should work for what yo describe::



Ice


Hey Ice, thanks!

So I actually had figured that out and wrote that in my edit. It still didn't seem to work that way. It seems to be the triggers is the issue so now I am focusing on any other way I may be able to get an input that is set as a layer to play preview in the same layer.

SHORT.png (496kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Here you can see how when I press my button, it puts b-roll 1 into my scene as layer 2 and using the source which is 23.

trig.png (6kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

And this is the trigger I tired to use to get it to take whatever I have in preview but that doesn't seem to work. My preview input is 26.

Not sure what else to try from here...I figured someone should have done something like this before?
SethLT  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2023 2:03:13 PM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Are we allowed to bump? Looking for any other ideas, thanks!
dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2023 3:13:21 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2019(UTC)
Posts: 524

Thanks: 62 times
Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Scripting is the idea...

- Use a Mix input for your b-roll
- Make adjustments to this script:
https://forums.vmix.com/...ng-for-Dummies#post71985
- i.e., read the duration of the mix input's active video, choose a trigger time close to 0, let the video from preview play in the mix input
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2023 8:20:28 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/7/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,608
Man
Location: Canada

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 471 post(s)
@ SethLT

A couple of reasons why your Trigger might not be working:
(a) Your Value appears to be configured wrong (should be no space after the comma)
(b) The "OnCompletion" Trigger is only executed when the playing Video is the Input or DSK Overlay in the Program Output and not a Layer in another Input


Ice
SethLT  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2023 9:56:04 PM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ SethLT

A couple of reasons why your Trigger might not be working:
(a) Your Value appears to be configured wrong (should be no space after the comma)
(b) The "OnCompletion" Trigger is only executed when the playing Video is the Input or DSK Overlay in the Program Output and not a Layer in another Input


Ice


Thanks for that. I had fixed a. since I posted this and I guess according to b. this isn't possible. I also tried putting "oncountdowncomplete" on my main input that has the scene built in it with the same values but that doesn't work either.

I guess my next question is, how would someone do this the "right" way? I feel like it wouldn't be uncommon for someone to run a show with two sources at the same time (not an overlay) and if they had B-roll a way for it to queue one of the sources when one completes (not in a playlist because I need to be in control of it). I'm not a traditionally trained TD or an engineer. Most of vMix is self taught and from these forums and faq. Scripting might as well be another language to me but it seems like the "simple" or "I can figure it out" is not going to work here.
SethLT  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2023 6:18:19 AM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Scripting is the idea...

- Use a Mix input for your b-roll
- Make adjustments to this script:
https://forums.vmix.com/...ng-for-Dummies#post71985
- i.e., read the duration of the mix input's active video, choose a trigger time close to 0, let the video from preview play in the mix input


Thanks for that information, I had missed it. I've never scripted before and am a little anxious to try but I will give this a read and report back with my findings. Thank you.
dmwkr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2023 4:27:42 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2019(UTC)
Posts: 524

Thanks: 62 times
Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Btw, another possibility could just be a list input, where you place all videos and set it to auto next. You can reorder the videos while the list is playing, so instead of sending the next video to preview you cue it in the list.

Or instead of placing your b-roll on a layer use one of the four overlay channels to make triggers work (like IceStream mentioned).
SethLT  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2023 1:49:18 AM(UTC)
SethLT

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 16
United States
Location: East Coast

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Btw, another possibility could just be a list input, where you place all videos and set it to auto next. You can reorder the videos while the list is playing, so instead of sending the next video to preview you cue it in the list.

Or instead of placing your b-roll on a layer use one of the four overlay channels to make triggers work (like IceStream mentioned).


I can try the input list. Unfortunately, I will be using all of my overlays already or need them to be available. Thanks for more ideas!
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.