logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rockyrobins  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 1:50:19 PM(UTC)
Rockyrobins

Groups: Registered

LOVE vMix. Using it for all kinds of things. We're currently using a copy of vMix to stream our local cable channel 24/7. But sometimes streams die. Probably because our cable modem provider resets, or some other reason, not sure why. When it does happen, the big error message comes up. But, if the system's un-attended, nobody's there to hit "ok" and restart the stream.
Is there a way to enable an auto - restart the stream feature? Maybe if it fails again it retries until connectivity returns?

Or perhaps even if there's a way to enable a text or email to just say, the stream's down, when that error happens.
I realize, if there's no connectivity at the moment, there's no way to get that message out, but if it could check to see when the net's back, then send text/email?
I'm finding that if I do notice the stream's out, I almost always can log back in remotely and click ok and restart streaming, or even restart vMix if I have to.

To those who do that sort of thing, stream 24/7, are there any other ideas?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:07:31 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the vMix community

you have to understand that vMix is a Live Production software, e.g. it is not designed to be run unattended.

If you decide to use it for something it was not designed for, here a playout server, you must understand that it is obvious and logical if it misses features for you.

Regarding your issue, instead of expecting vMix to take care of your connectivity or send alerts, just look for a software which focuses on this: there are thousands of freewares that can check your connection and send you a notification.

However I would rather go for a SMS (text message) than expecting for an email if the internet is down! My 2 cts...

Regards
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
stigaard on 5/8/2017(UTC)
ask  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:44:41 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
vMix does auto-reconnect by default. That is what you are seeing when the stream button turns orange instead of red. Sometimes however it is better to manually stop and restart the stream. To do that remotely, simply use Teamviewer, RDP, LogMeIn or any preferred remote control software. I would look and see if you get any info from Event Viewer to indicate the stream is down, then use that tool to send an email/sms. But if your modem is down even that won't help.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
stigaard on 5/8/2017(UTC)
grantcoll  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2023 6:55:16 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Screenshot CtasRoute.jpg (213kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
We are currently working on a software application that runs alongside vMix. It monitors the vMix logs, and you can select if you want to stop and start, or stop and do nothing etc. It can monitor 2 live streams. It also has SMS facility so you get notified if a stream stops. Note: we have done a lot of research in building this. I can assure you that when you see the vMix button turn orange, it is not stopping and starting, it is simply dropping frames. This software also handles the issue when vMix does lose a stream, and brings up the error window. Also, this software can handle several internet connections, so you can have streams on two different connections, and change to another on failure. etc.
melody  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2023 8:50:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: grantcoll Go to Quoted Post
Screenshot CtasRoute.jpg (213kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
We are currently working on a software application that runs alongside vMix. It monitors the vMix logs, and you can select if you want to stop and start, or stop and do nothing etc. It can monitor 2 live streams. It also has SMS facility so you get notified if a stream stops. Note: we have done a lot of research in building this. I can assure you that when you see the vMix button turn orange, it is not stopping and starting, it is simply dropping frames. This software also handles the issue when vMix does lose a stream, and brings up the error window. Also, this software can handle several internet connections, so you can have streams on two different connections, and change to another on failure. etc.

thats realy interesting... can the software provide more information like active connections and ip geolocation?

edit: for livelan feature
grantcoll  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2023 9:25:22 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
We have not had any requirement to do geolocation. If you look in the image, under the Interface Data Flow, you can see all the active connections.