logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matkeane  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 10:18:34 PM(UTC)
matkeane

Groups: Registered
France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
After installing vMix, there appears to be a conflict with Dataton Watchout software when importing video files in .mov containers.

The laptop where I'm experiencing the problem is my general-use production machine, mainly used for project preparation rather than live production, so there is a bunch of software installed : Disguise Designer, Dataton Watchout, TouchDesigner, Notch, etc. This hasn't been a problem in the past on other machines.

Watchout uses its own internal HAP codec for playback, and so doesn't rely on codecs suppled by the OS or Quicktime. After installing vMix (the problem first happened after installing v23, but the same problem occurs with v24), Dataton Watchout no longer recognises .mov files (encoded with ProRes or HAP codecs) upon import, and gives an 'Unrecognized media file' error message. HAP Files already imported in a test project still play back OK in Watchout and in other software.

I've made several attempts to fix this by uninstalling & resintalling vMix, Watchout and other software, but once the problem occurs, reinstalling Watchout makes no difference to the problem. The only solution I've found so far is to perform a factory reset on the laptop and start from scratch. After a clean installation of Windows, with Windows and Nvidia drivers updated, Watchout functions as expected. Installing other software (Disguise, TouchDesigner, VLC) does not affect things but, after installing vMix, the problem reoccurs.

As I said, playback of HAP and ProRes media already imported in Watchout is not affected - only the import of new media files. I assumed this might be down to the vMix installer changing file-type associations, but the Windows App settings don't show any apparent change for files with .mov extension. It has been suggested in the Watchout forums that some registry entries may be changed by other installers, but without any detailed information about which entries may be responsible, so I'm stuck on what to try next. I've contacted Dataton support, but

I can reproduce the problem, but I'm not sure what else I could try to resolve it, so I'd be grateful for any ideas.

MSI Creator 15 laptop. Intel i7-10875H 2.3Ghz, 32Gb, Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, Windows 10 Pro v1909.
thanks 1 user thanked matkeane for this useful post.
Jaron on 4/21/2023(UTC)
Jaron  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2023 5:04:16 PM(UTC)
Jaron

Australia

Yes, I have found the same issue still. Caught me out once and had to format and rebuild for a Watchout show on-site.

I know this is an old post but would be nice to not have to re-image machine when I need to run WO. Did you ever find a solution @matkeane?
matkeane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2023 10:12:54 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hi,

After a bit of back-and-forth on the Watchout forum, somebody said that uninstalling the Haali media splitter and vMix codecs was enough to get Watchout working properly again.
https://forum.dataton.co...win10-production-laptop/

Since live event work has picked up again, I've been doing more media-server work than vMix lately, so I haven't taken the time to try installing vMix again to see if uninstalling those elements works. Like you say, time is bit short to keep re-imaging machines.