logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BriarPatchMedia  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2023 6:55:41 AM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello -

I would like to make a suggestion about the same project on 2 computers w/ up to 8 VMix callers. I recently ran a livestream with 7 VMix callers, lower thirds, moving backgrounds, etc., and during the last panel - my computer locked up and had to reboot.

My wiring diagram:

I9-9xxx Processor w/ 64GB RAM / RTX 3xxx series 8GB card / SSD OS Drive and SSD Playback and Record Drives / 1GB Internet Connection (NO NDI) / BMD Decklink card w/ SDI output to BMD ATEM Switcher (#1 Input) --- BMD SD Card Playback as #2 Input --- Output of ATEM Switcher to BMD Hardware Encoder.

Please consider being able to have to exact same project w/ VMix callers on 2 separate computers at the same time --- My thinking is that under this configuration, I can have the 2nd computer as a separate input to the ATEM Switcher, so if the Primary computer locked up, I could "flawlessly" switch to the Back-Up Computer and still be able to run the livestream with all the VMix Callers intact - while the Primary computer rebooted.

Thank You!
Jonathan

haloflyer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2023 9:04:06 AM(UTC)
haloflyer

Groups: Registered
United States

A good solution to your issue would be to run your encoding on a separate machine that you send your feeds to via NDI. You could for example, install OBS as a final encoder on this machine and put two NDI sources in the scene (or run two scenes) and just hide one of the sources. That way if your primary goes down you can just swap NDI sources to the one on the second machine with little to no downtime.

I see you mention (NO NDI) in your post, but with a 1Gbps connection you can do that over LAN perfectly fine since your LAN switching would be able to handle that with no issues.