logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SherSlick  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 6:40:36 AM(UTC)
SherSlick

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I am working on setting up an eSports channel and want to leverage vMIX instead of endless instances of OBS running on a production PC or four. Everything is going great so far, but I could really use to have a final delay before sending to the three streaming platforms where I can dump out profanity.

I am aware there is a way to do this with Replay, but it would help the setup greatly if it were inside the primary vMix that is running Replay for game footage/capture.

While I know there are some clever ways to build/breakdown a video buffer interactively, (double frames, detect blackness, other compression tricks) my needs would be served just by being able to blank or beep the final audio output for a specified amount of time. Say 7 to 10 seconds.

Shortcut that I can hit from my stream deck when I hear the profanity, for the next 10 seconds the audio send to the platforms is now blank or beep.

Not that I wouldn't love for a RAM-based video/audio buffer that could drop both, the hope is audio-only wouldn't be a massive to implement.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 1:23:04 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
how about:

Output to ndi
Ndi back to vMix
Delay ndi input
Stream ndi input instead of main output.

or one of the multiple ideas mentioned in this forum

Quote:
Shortcut that I can hit from my stream deck when I hear the profanity, for the next 10 seconds the audio send to the platforms is now blank or beep.

Check the audio shortcuts from the list , also "scripting for dummies" post to add a wait time or play specific sound and combine multiple commands etc
SherSlick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 2:27:38 PM(UTC)
SherSlick

United States

I am not in front of my setup, but I am already using 3 of the Outputs for SRT capture fed into Replay and I believe NDI 'loopback' would require use of one of the outputs right?

As for SRT directly into Replay in 26: that is a different thread/issue.

Look, work-arounds are fine, but this is a request for a feature in the application.
mavik  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 5:03:54 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I believe I understand your request but I don't think it's possible with one system.
Once you hear the audio on program/master it's too late as it's out of the system already. You would need one system to lisen into live then a second with a delay of 10 sec or so. With the stream deck you conrol the second system and mute the audio there.
SherSlick  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 1:00:24 AM(UTC)
SherSlick

United States

You would only need to listen to live and hit the drop/dump button. This is how professional radio does it. No one is monitoring the post-delay to ensure the cutoff is "just right", you hit the button and enough of the program is cut to ensure the foul language doesn't go on the air.

Yes you lose a lot of the surrounding program, but that is better than an FCC fine.

This is how the Ross clean air (that someone else who was looking for the same feature in vMIX referenced as what they use, but wanted it native so as to avoid extra equipment) works.

vMIX support suggested using a time-slip via Replay to accomplish this task, which would work nicely, but I am using Replay for my program.
mavik  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 4:59:39 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
The most stupid approach then would be some loop setup. If you used the replay already you can use the NDI approach from doggy or the way I did it for really long delays (more minutes than seconds) is to loop the stream through VLC. In VLC hit he pause button for as long as you need the delay and press play again. VLC will timeshift your stream. Maybe the local LAN can be used easily for the loop/VLC approach.
SherSlick  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2023 3:05:46 AM(UTC)
SherSlick

United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
The most stupid approach then would be some loop setup. If you used the replay already you can use the NDI approach from doggy or the way I did it for really long delays (more minutes than seconds) is to loop the stream through VLC. In VLC hit he pause button for as long as you need the delay and press play again. VLC will timeshift your stream. Maybe the local LAN can be used easily for the loop/VLC approach.

This is another interesting workaround for sure. Net-net: I am still kindly requesting a native feature in vMIX for this.
Thaddeusb  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2023 3:35:22 AM(UTC)
Thaddeusb

United States

I believe the new "stream delay" setting of version 26 released 2 days ago can be used for this purpose (even if not technically why it is there). If I understand correctly, if you broadcast with say a 10-second delay and hit stop the last 10 seconds will be lost. If you then restart immediately, the broadcast should pick back up without the missing 10 seconds and be similar to a dump button in practice. (Not a perfect solution, but should be trivial for vMix to implement a proper dump now that they've added a delay option already.) If you give this a try, let me know as I'm interested in the same feature.
SherSlick  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2023 6:41:49 AM(UTC)
SherSlick

United States

Originally Posted by: Thaddeusb Go to Quoted Post
I believe the new "stream delay" setting of version 26 released 2 days ago can be used for this purpose (even if not technically why it is there). If I understand correctly, if you broadcast with say a 10-second delay and hit stop the last 10 seconds will be lost. If you then restart immediately, the broadcast should pick back up without the missing 10 seconds and be similar to a dump button in practice. (Not a perfect solution, but should be trivial for vMix to implement a proper dump now that they've added a delay option already.) If you give this a try, let me know as I'm interested in the same feature.

I hadn't put that together when I read about how the stream delay does lose the tail when stopped... I also wonder if it leaves enough reaction time to ensure the language is dropped.

Will have to give it a try as I do send streams to two and sometimes three hosts, see how quickly it can cut and re-start.
WaltG12  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:52:07 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SherSlick Go to Quoted Post
I also wonder if it leaves enough reaction time to ensure the language is dropped.

I've commented on this before.

Speaking as someone who has had to hit a dump button on a traditional radio station, it's not as easy as people think it will be.

Before you can even act, it has to sink in what was said and the implication.

If you're focusing on other things in the stream, that will take more time than you think it will, especially if you're very into what you're doing.

I'm sure we've all had those moments where we're working on something and someone talks to us, and, while we know they spoke to us, we don't actually catch what they said because our mind is elsewhere, right?

And then, once it does register that you need to hit the button, you need to actually hit the button. That requires physical and mental reaction in the face of pressure and even almost panic.

It's almost definitely possible, but it's a lot more difficult than I think a lot of people realize. Just look at how many uncensored live moments have aired on TV and radio because someone didn't hit the button in time.