logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ddywz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2022 2:21:14 AM(UTC)
ddywz

Groups: Registered
United States

We use this windows 10 pro machine to do live streaming from our church. There are 3 cameras 1 PTZ optics and 2 i Pads all using NDI and an external sound card for the 4 mics. This setup has been working for 2 years now without a single hiccup. Recently, the last two Sundays the stream just dropped as the PC loses all network connectivity, cannot even ping the local gateway. There is no way to bring the network card back unless I reboot the machine. There's another WI-Fi adapter on it. Same happens with it too if I use that. It does not happen immediately. You can stream for about 10 to 15mins and then network cuts out.

There is no issues with the NIC, (Intel 1GbE). I setup a copy job to copy a 15GB file from PC to the local NAS devise which is an outgoing traffic and all works fine, no issues. If vMIX starts and streaming button is pressed to start streaming (Youtube is the receiving end) after 5 to 10 mins the network cuts out.

Anyone has had this issue? any windows 10 updates or any driver's update maybe?

Last night I rolled back the NIC and Wi-Fi drivers to previous ones and re-installed vMIX back but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ddywz  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 3:33:19 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

I was streaming at 6Mbps and our verizon wireless allows for a symetrical 10/10 Mbps speeds. I have tested the speed from same streaming PC and I see 10/10 from ookla. I tried to lower bitrate to 5.4Mbps and the stream worked fine with no drops or lockout. Today, the 5.4Mbps started having issues and exhibiting the same issues. After lowering the stream bitrate to 4Mbps everything worked fine.

Anyone has any advice as of what's going on? The PC and its hardware is good enough for this task.

Windows 10,
Intel Core i7 9th Gen - Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 4133
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6,

There are no GPU/CPU alerts from vVMIX and they are at 10 to 13% range in use during streaming.

When I brought the PC home and connected to a comcast network I did not see any issues at all streaming even at 6Mbps.

Does anyone know if youtube recently limits the high bitrate streams?

Anyone has any ideas?
AngusFindlay  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 12:11:27 PM(UTC)
AngusFindlay

I generally try to keep my stream to about a third of my available upload bandwidth. Is it more reliable if you stream closer to 3 Mbps? 10/10 is a pretty lousy connection, unfortunately.
mavik  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 10:39:05 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Bandwidth can be an issue. The other option i can think of is some protection software like antivirus or such. Scanning a stream isn't that easy as it never ends and AV software might struggle with that fact. Files do have a definitive start and end which could explain why the file transfer worked and the stream not. If my thoughs are right you should be able to extend the periode until it breaks the smaller bandwidth you use.
Just try disabling the protection and see if taht helps.
ddywz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 1:28:04 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

Thanks for the replies, I don't have any AV scanners in the system. As far as dropping the bitrate to 3Mbps is like going backwards. Again, it has been working with no issues in the last two years and streaming at 6Mbps. The other thing that puzzles me is after I stop the streaming and close vMIX altogether I lose the NIC as it is disabled and there's no way to enable it back without rebooting the PC. Have opened a case with vMIX support. They have asked to send a report from About view on software. Will see if they find anything else.

Thanks,
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 4:10:46 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Anyway you can use a direct Ethernet connection and not rely on Wi-Fi?
ddywz  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 5:51:10 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
Anyway you can use a direct Ethernet connection and not rely on Wi-Fi?

Do you mean Hardwired versus 4G? I don't use any Wi-Fi in the setup, but yes, final hop is a peepwave verizon 4G router that gets us to internet. Due to the building location it is impossible to have a hardwired Internet connection like comcast or FiOS. Till now our option is only 4G wireless. Again, this setup was running ok for 2 years and with no issues streaming.

Thanks,
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 6:25:18 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Yes, I was referring to hardwired/hard line connection. We were streaming a big softball tournament years ago with 4G and no problems. The next year, we'd have good 4G streaming in the morning. However as the day wore on and more fans showed up using their phones, we couldn't stream because of very poor connectivity. No change in location. We were in the exact same spot/field.

Unfortunately 4G can be inconsistent and sometimes almost unusable when there are too many users in the geographic location of cell.
ddywz  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 8:49:10 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I was referring to hardwired/hard line connection. We were streaming a big softball tournament years ago with 4G and no problems. The next year, we'd have good 4G streaming in the morning. However as the day wore on and more fans showed up using their phones, we couldn't stream because of very poor connectivity. No change in location. We were in the exact same spot/field.

Unfortunately 4G can be inconsistent and sometimes almost unusable when there are too many users in the geographic location of cell.

I agree, but for now we have no other options other than 4G wireless. We only stream on Sunday at 10am and location is center city so not much can change at that time but who knows.

ddywz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 8:51:51 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

Again, my concern is why the NIC gets locked out so bad from vMIX that only rebooting the PC enables it back. If 4G is weak it can stutter but not lock out the PC. I cannot even ping the gateway in the LAN, is that bad.