logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2022 7:04:35 PM(UTC)
nomski

Groups: Registered

We use the SetVolumeFade shortcut all the time in our productions. However, the value in the shortcut refers to the fader position not the percentage or dB value of the fader. Therefore, if you set the fader manually while sorting out your mix, there is no way to quickly read the fader position and write it as part of a shortcut or script.

Ideally there would be a new shortcut (or just a tweak to the current one) where if you put the value in the shortcut as "25" it goes to 25% volume (-12dB) not the 25% fader position.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2022 7:22:42 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nomski Go to Quoted Post
We use the SetVolumeFade shortcut all the time in our productions. However, the value in the shortcut refers to the fader position not the percentage or dB value of the fader. Therefore, if you set the fader manually while sorting out your mix, there is no way to quickly read the fader position and write it as part of a shortcut or script.

Ideally there would be a new shortcut (or just a tweak to the current one) where if you put the value in the shortcut as "25" it goes to 25% volume (-12dB) not the 25% fader position.

Might be of interest (for conversions):
https://forums.vmix.com/posts/m45658-API-SetVolume-scale#post45658

in API XML volume value = slider pos
nomski  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2022 12:57:26 AM(UTC)
nomski

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can see, the XML gives the % volume not the fader position. I.e. if I set the fader to around the halfway point (which would be 50% in terms of fader position and that is how the shortcut works), the XML says it is at 5.7. If I mouse over the fader, it says 6% which is about right.

The issue that I have is there is no shortcut to set either the dB or the volume percentage. I can only set the fader position which means for every script, trigger etc. I would have to do the math (if I even knew how) to calculate the translation to the shortcut fader position to get the same volume that I've just setup manually.

My usual workflow is to use the faders/midi controller to setup a mix, then translate that to a script so I can jump to that mix easily when required. It's the values in that script that are always painful to sort out/guess.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2022 2:17:28 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nomski Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply. As far as I can see, the XML gives the % volume not the fader position. I.e. if I set the fader to around the halfway point (which would be 50% in terms of fader position and that is how the shortcut works), the XML says it is at 5.7. If I mouse over the fader, it says 6% which is about right.

The issue that I have is there is no shortcut to set either the dB or the volume percentage. I can only set the fader position which means for every script, trigger etc. I would have to do the math (if I even knew how) to calculate the translation to the shortcut fader position to get the same volume that I've just setup manually.

My usual workflow is to use the faders/midi controller to setup a mix, then translate that to a script so I can jump to that mix easily when required. It's the values in that script that are always painful to sort out/guess.

Why not the shortcut to call a script that does the math and does the volumefade . if I am not mistaken the calculation has been addressed more than the in the link i gave
nomski  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2022 6:43:37 PM(UTC)
nomski

I'm afraid my math skills are clearly not up to the job. If it was a case of take the fader position and /X or whatever then no worries, but if we going into calculating exponential curves etc. then I'm definitely in the "wish I listened more at school" camp! And I'm sure there will be other people in the same boat.

Aside from anything else, it seems to me that people would want to directly set a volume level as opposed to a fader position as the norm.