logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bretts@mac.com  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2022 12:00:44 PM(UTC)
bretts@mac.com

Groups: Registered

Pretty happy with my vMix Pro on my 10900k/128GB/Nvidia RTXa4000, but intrigued at gaining more PCIe lanes, faster NVMe speeds and the potential of the two new CPUs and chipsets from AMD and Intel. This build is mainly used to live stream 3 call in guests, while simultaneously recording all video and audio in ISO form, at the highest 75Mbps speed. My vMix usuage never really goes much higher than 30% utilization for CPU and GPU, and I shut down every extraneous Windows 11 Pro process while streaming/recording.

So, my question is, what will I lose in terms of optimization, by going for the 7950x, which now includes both an iGPU, and much improved encode functions? In either case, I need to upgrade my motherboard, and RAM to DDR5. So, cost is nearly identical, although I have yet to see a Z790 version of the Asus ProArt Creator board, while there is a brand new X670e for the AMD. I would need to use the older Z690, which is likely fine, with the 13900k.

Thoughts? Thanks!
bretts@mac.com  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2022 11:05:47 AM(UTC)
bretts@mac.com

Wound up ordering the AMD 7950x and Asus X670e ProArt Creator MB. Getting everything in a few days, and I will follow up with my impressions. I am certain the 13900K would have been cheaper, and slightly higher performance. BUT, Intel has allowed it to draw massive amounts of power, and the constant power consumption is easily tamed on the AMD CPU. I just hope the vMix team finds a way to leverage the iGPU on the 7th gen, AM5 Ryzens.
Moosa  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2022 8:22:49 AM(UTC)
Moosa

Really curious to know how you go with this build as I'm looking to also make a new build for 4 x 4K NDI inputs and not keen on the power consumption of the intel 13900K trying to get my hands on the intel 10900X. But I'll be using a 3080 Ti. So hoping that GPU will be enough.