logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davelindmpls  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2022 5:20:05 AM(UTC)
davelindmpls

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a MSI Stealth GS66 i9 laptop with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GPU. 32gb RAM
Setup the laptop to run in discreet graphics mode.
Vmix is running in 1080p 59.94

I have 1 external display (HDMI port off the GPU) which is configured to 1080p 60hz to match project settings.

According to recommendations that all monitors be setup the same, I setup the Internal laptop display as 1080p 60hz

In this resolution, I see in vmix Statistics there are massive amounts of frame drops on the full screen output... and anything being displayed on the output is very stuttery.

If I change the laptop's internal display back to it's preferred native 2560x1440 (239.97hz), the full screen output frame drops have been eliminated in vmix statistics.

My problem however, is that when I have a project open with just a single 1080p 59.94 video file outputting to the connected full screen output monitor, I notice random jumps on the monitor every few seconds or so... sometimes lots of them... however, they are not being reporting as render drops on the source.

I am seeing the middle number on the fullscreen dropped statistic ticking up at a steady rapid rate (not sure what that number represents as it's not stated in the manual). My latency is fluctuating at between 3-15ms...

Is this a problem with the resolution & frequency mismatch? My problem is a lot worse when not running the laptop display at it's native resolution. Does vmix require a laptop with native 1080p 60hz? Thanks for your thoughts.
tonycba  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2022 2:36:06 PM(UTC)
tonycba

Brazil

I have the same problem in my acer predator helios 300. My screen is 120hz.
davelindmpls  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2022 1:39:51 AM(UTC)
davelindmpls

United States

An update here... I'm having this issue on multiple machines running vmix. My second laptop has a native 144hz display... again, setting up the secondary display off the gpu via hdmi at 1080p 60hz.

I did a local recording of my 1080p 59.94 camera and can verify that the capture is great and no noticeable frame loss (even though I see it being jumpy on my fullscreen output during the recording). However, if I play the recording back on my secondary display (either in vmix or VLC), I notice that the video starts shuddering and is choppy for a second or two, then it is smooth again. This is the same thing I am experiencing with my videos on full screen output in vmix.

I've tried playing back multiple 60fps video files and 60fps cameras and they all seem to be doing the same thing.

I've tried custom reinstalling nvidia drivers and verifying settings are optimized for vmix properly... Anyone have any thoughts on what might help?

I really need to run in 60fps because I regularly project videos in a live venue and 30fps projects do not seem very smooth on 60hz projectors.

Thanks for any insight.
davelindmpls  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2022 1:48:04 AM(UTC)
davelindmpls

United States

I found a similar issue in a gamers forum thread... They are having issues with stuttering of videos on a secondary display. Might give this a try...

https://www.reddit.com/r...rs_when_video_or_stream/
davelindmpls  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2022 2:08:38 AM(UTC)
davelindmpls

United States

Originally Posted by: davelindmpls Go to Quoted Post
I found a similar issue in a gamers forum thread... They are having issues with stuttering of videos on a secondary display. Might give this a try...

https://www.reddit.com/r...rs_when_video_or_stream/

Well, I downloaded the NVIDIA Profile Inspector app... I was able to change the NVIDIA settings for Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration to "Multi display performance mode". Initial results seem to be that my stuttering issues on the secondary monitor are now gone. Hmm. I'll do more testing on my other machines, but looking promising.

Also, I notice that this app has settings to change Sync and Refresh with GSYNC mode settings. Might try that to see if it helps performance.
tonycba  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2022 12:44:37 AM(UTC)
tonycba

Brazil

An update here... I'm having this issue on multiple machines running vmix. My second laptop has a native 144hz display... again, setting up the secondary display off the gpu via hdmi at 1080p 60hz.

I did a local recording of my 1080p 59.94 camera and can verify that the capture is great and no noticeable frame loss (even though I see it being jumpy on my fullscreen output during the recording). However, if I play the recording back on my secondary display (either in vmix or VLC), I notice that the video starts shuddering and is choppy for a second or two, then it is smooth again. This is the same thing I am experiencing with my videos on full screen output in vmix.

I've tried playing back multiple 60fps video files and 60fps cameras and they all seem to be doing the same thing.

I've tried custom reinstalling nvidia drivers and verifying settings are optimized for vmix properly... Anyone have any thoughts on what might help?

I really need to run in 60fps because I regularly project videos in a live venue and 30fps projects do not seem very smooth on 60hz projectors.

Thanks for any insight.

Exactly! it's like with my VMIX. In streaming it is running smooth with no frame loss.
davelindmpls  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2022 2:40:05 AM(UTC)
davelindmpls

United States

Another update... I seem to have a couple full screen output issues.

The first is that I was seeing a repetitive shuddering effect on the screen that would happen every 10 seconds or so. However, the statistics would not show any frame drops while this was happening. I believe I may have resolved this by changing the NVIDIA settings for Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration to "Multi display performance mode". Thinking this might make sense since my laptop display is running at 239.97hz and my external displays are 60hz.

Secondly, I am noticing consistent frame drops on the full screen output with my system. Again, I've tried changing my internal laptop display to 60hz to match the framerate & external display, but that makes the whole system go wonky and tons of frame drops. So, I'm assuming I should keep my laptop display at the native frequency, but I can't run my external displays at the same frequency of 239.97hz.

Again, I have the system set to utilize the Nvidia RTX 3070 ti GPU, with external display hooked up to the GPU's HDMI port... while setting the GPU to run in discreet graphics mode.

I'm still getting consistent frame drops on the full screen output which causes me to see jumps on the external monitor. I also don't know what the statistic numbers mean on the full screen output side. The manual is clear for all the input statistics, but doesn't say what they mean for the output.

Appreciate any help in figuring out why I'm getting these drops, I'd assume my machine is beefy enough for a simple project with 1 camera source.
Thanks,
thanks 1 user thanked davelindmpls for this useful post.
tomtailford on 11/21/2023(UTC)
tomtailford  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2023 3:39:44 AM(UTC)
tomtailford

Another update...

I've just bought a laptop with 4070 / 240Hz screen (Dell) and hoping that I don't run into these issues...

That said, a year has passed, so you might have another update?!

Thanks!