logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jiraka7  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2022 10:48:29 PM(UTC)
Jiraka7

Groups: Registered
Czech Republic

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, I have a question about a computer for streaming ndi productions. My setup consists of four ndi inputs in full hd 50fps of which one is a screen capture laptop and three are from ndi converters at the cameras. I need to stream to youtube, record and also have one ndi output.

My main question is how vmix encode ndi inputs. Does it load more cpu or gpu. I also wonder if it is still the case that vmix does not officially support amd video cards. And what would you recommend for an amd or intel cpu. I know that amd usually has more cores so it allows for more different processes, but I guess that doesn't play a role when streaming is the only main process.

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2022 8:10:40 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Jiraka7

NDI encoding and decoding is a CPU task and so the faster the CPU the better (3.0 GHz +), having 8 cores or more at that speed, even better.
vMix supports current generation AMD CPUs but is only optimized for NVIDIA GPUs, so while AMD GPUs will generally work with vMix, performance will not be as good.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Jiraka7 on 8/9/2022(UTC)
Jiraka7  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2022 1:24:05 AM(UTC)
Jiraka7

Czech Republic

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ Jiraka7

NDI encoding and decoding is a CPU task and so the faster the CPU the better (3.0 GHz +), having 8 cores or more at that speed, even better.
vMix supports current generation AMD CPUs but is only optimized for NVIDIA GPUs, so while AMD GPUs will generally work with vMix, performance will not be as good.

Ice

Thank you for your reply. If I understand correctly so in case I turn on hardware encoding in the stream and record settings, vmix should use more gpu and less cpu, is that right? Is it a big difference or not?
Andreas O  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 10:36:09 PM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Originally Posted by: Jiraka7 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ Jiraka7

Ice

Thank you for your reply. If I understand correctly so in case I turn on hardware encoding in the stream and record settings, vmix should use more gpu and less cpu, is that right? Is it a big difference or not?

You probably figured this out already, but if you turn on hardware encoding it uses the NVENC encoders on the Nvidia GPU instead of the CPU. Most Nvidia RTX cards has 3 NVENC encoders, so you could use this on Stream, Record and perhaps an output source as well. That would mean that in practice, the performance hit you take when you turn on Stream and Record should hit the GPU instead of the CPU, where most of your input strain is.

This link will show you which card has how many NVENC encoders: https://developer.nvidia...e-gpu-support-matrix-new

My RTX 2080 Ti has 1 NVENC chip which supports 3 "sessions" (encodes) at a time. An RTX 6000A card still only has 1 chip, but does have an unlimited amount of sessions at once. That's a great but expensive way of offloading your encoding work to your GPU. I've been considering it since I run several output sources from VMIX to NDI, for instance countdown clocks, teleprompter input et cetera.