logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjbutler83  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:55:44 AM(UTC)
jjbutler83

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello out there,

Long time vMix user, recently built a new traveling vMix rig.

Everything is great with the exception of all h.264 and HEVC program records are coming out with an intermittent "green flickers" throughout the recording.
The flicker does not show on my multi-view, main vMix program window, or on my Atomos Sumo & Ninja V broadcast monitors, which are capturing a full screen output via HDMI.
The flicker is just in the MP4 record files. Have played them back on other machines, and the flicker is present and does not appear to be a playback issue.

Recording in vMix Avi does not appear to produce the issue.
Recording in FFMPEG does not appear to produce the issue.
Recording in WMV does not appear to produce the issue.
Recording in AVI does not appear to produce the issue.

Toggling "Use Hardware Encoder" makes no difference.

Machine Specs:
Windows 11 Pro (21H2)
vMix Pro 25.0.0.34 x64
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200
OS Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 M.2
Record Drives: SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB 2.5 (x2 in a Windows Storage Space)
GFX: ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti OC Edition
Capture 1: Blackmagic Design DeckLink 8K Pro Cinema Capture Card
Capture 2: Blackmagic Design DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder

And yes, all relevant drivers and software are up to date as of this moment.

I have another rig, my original permanent home studio machine, that has the same MOBO, but with an i9-12900K, same amount but slightly faster RAM, also 3070 Ti OC but ROG Strix version.
That machine can record MP4 program just fine without any issues. Also running current drivers and relevant software.

Hoping someone might have some ideas on what I can try as it's quite puzzling at the moment.

Thanks!
mgrayeb  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2022 10:29:03 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Not sure if this might be related to what you are experiencing, but I have previously experienced a small white flickering box in the upper left corner of my .mp4 vMix recordings. After it happened several times to me, I reached out to vMix support last year and after some back and forth correspondence trying to determine the cause, I received the following email which helped me to find a work-around (I no longer check the "use hardware encoder" box when recording):

From vMix Support: "In exploring your issue a little more it appears to occur in all mp4 recordings when using the Hardware Encoder (does not seem to occur with mp4 recordings encoded by the CPU), but it is really only visible on a black or dark screen.
I am not specifically aware of what causes the issue, it was just the size of the box that lead me to think it was a scaling artifact of some sort (which it still may be).
I will need to pass this by our developer for further clarification as to what causes it."

By the way, I had experienced the issue on multiple HP OMEN gaming laptops using vMix 24 last year (I don't recall if I've tested checking the "use hardware encoder" box when recording in .mp4 in vMix 25 and I only record in .mp4 format).

On the two laptops, the specs are i7-9750 or i7-10750, nVidia 2060 or 3060 gpu, 16GB or 32GB RAM, Windows 10.
jjbutler83  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 9:18:15 AM(UTC)
jjbutler83

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the reply!

As I mentioned in my first post, the toggling of "Use Hardware Encoder" didn't seem to make a difference to me.

As I continued to troubleshoot, I set my master resolution and frame rate to 1080p@60 vs 1080p@59.94.
Being an experienced, traditional live event video broadcast professional, I typically stick to the North American broadcast standard of 1080p and or sometimes 1080i and both at 59.94 and so just out of habit and muscle memory used to selecting those settings for anything video.

Anyway, after doing this, the MP4 recorder in vMix no longer seems to have issues putting out a clean recording.

Will be continuing to monitor.
mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2022 1:12:36 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sorry, I missed your mention that you had tried turning off use hardware encoder. Glad you found another approach that might help.