logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
simonemessina  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2022 3:25:43 PM(UTC)
simonemessina

Groups: Registered
Italy

I know vMix uses the free SDK for NDI at the moment. But i was wondering wouldn't be great if vmix have the advanced SDK in order to run every great feature that NDI had to offer ?
I use NDI a lot in my productions, and i also use tricaster, what i notice the most in between the two systems is that tricaster doesn't have huge bandwidth consumption until the NDI Feed gets the program windows, this due to the amazing feature of proxyin' the inputs so it uses a small amount of bandwidth while preview or in general when they're not in PGM.
I kinda wish vmix has this feature so far, it will save a lot of bandwidth in general.

Another think that would be really great will be the addition of more outputs channels, maybe with full routing capabilities ( instead of the First 2 been locked as stream/rec/ext1/ext2).

manage NDI output bandwidth for example would be a killer feature in my opinion, with 4 NDI outputs always active as output i start to see slowdowns with gigabit Ethernet on laptops, of course is less noticeable while using workstations and 10gb nic by the way.

I've also discovered that the NDI thumbnail feature caused a lot of issue in between tricaster and vMix, but actually don't know if this can be fixed by using the advanced SDK or not.. anyway I want to share my opinion here in order to see if others might think the same thing about the argument .
Andreas O  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2022 8:57:17 PM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Seconded. I'm also banging my head on the output sources in particular. You can work around this if you route your sources to NDI before ingesting them into VMIX, but that does mean you have to commit to an NDI workflow.

(I.e. my cameras go to a Kiloview SDI to NDI box instead of a capture card on my computer. This means I can route camera 1 to Teams as well as VMIX, so my external presenter can see who he's talking to in studio without going through VMIX. But it means I do have to feed a copy of that mic signal to the camera with XLR.)
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2022 1:09:56 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simonemessina Go to Quoted Post
...due to the amazing feature of proxyin' the inputs so it uses a small amount of bandwidth while preview or in general when they're not in PGM.

Choosing to receive proxy or full-res frames on a frame-by-frame basis is available in the free SDK, but there are reasons why you might not want to do this - aside from the added complexity. For a start, it means that you don't necessarily have a full-res frame available to cut to when needed, so have to set the request for the next frame to be received.