logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MALOCK  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:49:32 AM(UTC)
MALOCK

Groups: Registered

I am a videoartist who for the first time needs to mix recorded video pieces (AVI files) and send the output to a projector to accompany a live musical performance. I am able to send the full mixing screen to my projector but cannot work out how to just send the mixed 'output'. I am attempting to use a Dell Studio 1555 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics card (DirectX 10.1, Shader 4.1, Features Open GL 2.0, PCI-E 2.0 x16, Powerplay, DisplayPort support up to 2560x1600, HDMI support up to 1920x1080 (both with 7.1 AC3 Audio), 1x Dual-Link/Single-Link DVI, 1x Single-Link DVI Support) I have searched vMix help/forums but I cannot work out a solution (if there is one)Do any members have any idea if/how I can do this with this kit? Thanks. Maurice
HWL1223  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:38:05 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
"to send the full mixing screen to my projector but cannot work out how to just send the mixed 'output'."

Please be clearer on this. How are you getting the PROGRAM VIDEO from vMix out of the computer - what card are you using as a video output? This is not the computer display card.
thanks 1 user thanked HWL1223 for this useful post.
MALOCK on 6/24/2014(UTC)
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:00:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Try the Fullscreen output described here:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help12/Fullscreen.html

You will need to configure Windows to output to dual displays.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
MALOCK on 6/24/2014(UTC)
MALOCK  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:40:05 PM(UTC)
MALOCK

Thanks HWL...OK... do you need to have a second video card for vMix to operate, if this is the case I apologise for my ignorance. I had assumed that the mixing software "somehow" separated and sent the final mixed output to one of the laptops outputs (eg HDMI) and left the "digital mixing desk" still visible on the laptop screen.
Rehan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:23:56 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Assuming you have both your monitor and the projector connected to your PC, you have to send your desktop to "Extend" mode rather than "Duplicate". The easiest way is to press the Windows key + P, and then select the Extend option.

Once you have the desktop extended, use the Fullscreen option as Martin ("admin") mentioned.
HWL1223  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:09:51 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
you don't necessarily need a "video" card, but you would want 2 output cards.

One is for the computer & vMix management (usually out to a computer monitor), and the other, a PC display card (to a mating projector PC in) and/or a Video output card (to a video "system" of some sort).
thecloudmediagroup  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:27:42 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
There are multiple options for an output screen.

1. Run your vMix windows from your video card. You then can install a Black Magic Intensity Pro or Black Magic DeckLink Mini Monitor. vMix will recognize these video cards and you will be able to send the fullscreen output via these cards.

2. Most higher end video cards support 3 or more outputs. You can use outputs 1 and 2 for vMix and any other windows that you want. You then use output 3 or higher for your vMix output screen. Some video cards may require an active DisplayPort adapter for use of any displays over 2.

The downside to using an Intensity Pro or DeckLink Mini Monitor is that you are limited to 1080i60. Most video cards should be able to do 1080p60. Links for these products are below.

http://www.blackmagicdes...products/decklink/models

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

-Seth
thecloudmediagroup  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:32:40 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

MALOCK wrote:
Thanks HWL...OK... do you need to have a second video card for vMix to operate, if this is the case I apologise for my ignorance. I had assumed that the mixing software "somehow" separated and sent the final mixed output to one of the laptops outputs (eg HDMI) and left the "digital mixing desk" still visible on the laptop screen.

That is how vMix should function for you.

Hook up your HDMI device to your desired output device (Projector, TV, etc).

Right click the Desktop and click "Screen Resolution"

There should be a window marked 1 and 2. Click on the second output and make sure that Extend This Device is selected.

Open vMix and open the system settings. On the first tab there is an option to select what screen the fullscreen signal goes to. Make sure that you select display 2.

Once you are ready to output to the HDMI port, click the fullscreen button at the top of the window and the button should turn green. This should start sending the final output of vMix out of the HDMI port.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:47:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Another important factor to consider is the inherent "Video Delay" that is not always palatable in a live music environment. Outputting to the second screen of a dual display, as Martin suggests, may offer the least amount of delay and is certainly a readily available option with most video cards as opposed to using additional capture/output cards.

Ice
MALOCK  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:07:35 AM(UTC)
MALOCK

A big thank you to Rehan, HWL, the cloudmediagroup and Ice for all your potential solutions to my "problem", I greatly appreciate the thought you have given to bringing me up to speed on this matter. I will now work through your suggestions and let you know how I get on. Cheers, Maurice.
MALOCK  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 10:00:18 AM(UTC)
MALOCK

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my "problem". I began with the cloudmediagroup's (Seth?) proposal first (being the one requiring no additional hardware) and worked through the screen setup procedure via the Desktop then into vMix settings and there it was...the mixed output, was projected on the wall. I now just have one very minor issue when coupling the lap-top to the projector, the resolution of the lap-top screen is changed to a lower resolution (to match projector resolution?)The consequence of this is that the line of video inputs at the bottom of the screen are now physically larger and so I get fewer visible and need to scroll right to see/cue all inputs (currently 7). Once again thanks everyone for attending to the basic problems of a very new newby. Maurice
thecloudmediagroup  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:58:31 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Hey Malock!

Glad you were able to get it started. Can you go into your resolution properties within windows and raise the resolution of the laptop display. You should be able to get the native resolution of the laptop as well as a second display at a good resolution as well.

-Seth
MALOCK  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 4:00:32 AM(UTC)
MALOCK

Thanks Seth, I'll give that a try.