logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Posebo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2022 8:11:10 PM(UTC)
Posebo

Groups: Registered
Norway

Greetings!

I have a bit of a confusion around best practice when it comes to Master and Solo in Vmix.
In my example "Master" and "Headphones" is routed to the same output due to our rigs being mobile and we have one headset with us.

How I would expect it to behave is that if nothing is Soloed I would hear the master and whatever goes there and if the master is muted I would hear nothing. This is indeed true, however if I solo or activate an input I will hear the audio regardless of Master being on or off. This is potentially risky as a technician could end up thinking the sound goes Live since it is audible.

I realise a fi for this would be only outputting only the Master channel to headphones, you then however lose the ability to Solo things.

I guess the way I would expect or hope it to work is that you would hear the master only UNLESS something is soloed, then you can listen to that channel like a PFL would let you on a console.

This would give full control of what goes out on the master as well as the possibility for "listening" to inputs. Is this achievable in any way?
jpetrie  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2022 8:42:45 AM(UTC)
jpetrie

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Whatever output you set Master to will always receive whatever is sent to master. Setting master to something else (or enabled) may be what you're looking for as this allows you to solo channels to a headphone output (also needs to be set to where you want to listen). All inputs sent to master will be heard by default, and hitting solo will make it so that you can only hear that input. Also note that in the audio settings of each input, in the lower left, there's a headphone icon. This controls the "master" volume of that input to the headphones output only. If you are soloing the input it does not affect the volume of what you're hearing in any way.
Posebo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2022 5:42:09 PM(UTC)
Posebo

Norway

Originally Posted by: jpetrie Go to Quoted Post
Whatever output you set Master to will always receive whatever is sent to master. Setting master to something else (or enabled) may be what you're looking for as this allows you to solo channels to a headphone output (also needs to be set to where you want to listen). All inputs sent to master will be heard by default, and hitting solo will make it so that you can only hear that input. Also note that in the audio settings of each input, in the lower left, there's a headphone icon. This controls the "master" volume of that input to the headphones output only. If you are soloing the input it does not affect the volume of what you're hearing in any way.

Yes well it makes sense that you hear whatever you sent to master when listening to it, but it doesn’t make that much sense to me that you still hear them when the master is turned off.
The reason you do is because you hear them from the “headphones” part when both are routed the same place.

I guess the thought behind it is that you have master monitors in a studio environment for hearing the master and headphones for soloing etc. however in smaller on-site rigs monitors usually isn’t an option, so you would either have to have two pair of headsets or switch between the sources in some way. And that’s what I’m trying to find a workaround for. One pair of headsets that hears master only when it’s actually outputting with the option to still solo inputs. Hope that makes sense!
jpetrie  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2022 12:59:35 AM(UTC)
jpetrie

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
BTW, are you @Posebo on Twitter? We can DM there, if you prefer, for faster back-and-forth communication. Or we could set up a Zoom meeting and you can screen share and I can help walk you through your settings.

Originally Posted by: Posebo Go to Quoted Post
The reason you [still hear [whatever you sent to master] when the master is turned off] is because you hear them from the “headphones” part when both are routed the same place.

You're right 😃 so don't do that if that's not the behavior you want to experience.

Originally Posted by: Posebo Go to Quoted Post
I guess the thought behind it is that you have master monitors in a studio environment for hearing the master and headphones for soloing etc. however in smaller on-site rigs monitors usually isn’t an option, so you would either have to have two pair of headsets or switch between the sources in some way. And that’s what I’m trying to find a workaround for. One pair of headsets that hears master only when it’s actually outputting with the option to still solo inputs. Hope that makes sense!

Set Master to Enabled or none (experiment with those or other options to find your desired outcome). Set headphones to where you want to experience hearing master when nothing is soloed and only what is soloed when something is soloed.

ss.png (114kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

I hope this helps!