logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beamic  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2022 2:33:42 PM(UTC)
beamic

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all. I've been using vMix for almost two years now to produce remote broadcasts for various esports events as a freelancer. Generally in this niche of remote gaming broadcasts, it is commonplace for the hiring party to provide adequate hardware through a PC-over-IP solution (often through Amazon Web Services EC2 GPU machines)

However, as a freelancer, I've been running into more and more broadcast gigs that don't offer a PCoIP solution and require me to use my own hardware and internet connection (or pay for my own pay-as-you-go cloud alternative, eating into my profits). I feel that my personal workstation should be adequate to encode/decode and run a vMix show; however after extensive testing that is NOT the case.

My specs are as follows:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X
  • Mobos tested: ASUS ROG B550-F Gaming, Gigabyte X570-I AORUS PRO
  • GPU*: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+ SE (16GB GDDR6)
  • *note: I did try also installing a Quadro P4000 in my second slot on the B550-F mobo, though with the 5800x CPU there aren't enough PCIe lanes to run both the RX6800XT and the Quadro at x16 bandwidth. Running only the Quadro is not an option for this workstation, as I need the compute power of the 6800XT for other 3D compute applications unrelated to vMix (not at the same time of course)
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2400 CL16
  • Storage: Assorted NVMe SSDs (tried installing vMix on boot SSD as well as secondary SSD)

A normal vMix workload for what I often do is 2-4 vMix Calls, 2-5 1080p NDI/SRT ingest feeds, and a dozen or so PNG inputs. Video assets vary, but always 1080p and no more than 5-ish minutes of local video assets.

When even halving the above workload, my rig is pinned to 50-90% GPU usage, 70-100% CPU usage, and Avg. Render Time being 12-50ms. Encoding this feed to Twitch.tv or similar services often reports upwards of 60% frames being dropped.

I have tried almost everything I can from software. I have reinstalled drivers (chipset, gpu, et al.), I've tried reinstalling Windows 10, I've migrated to Windows 11. Additionally, I've ensured that I'm using High Input Performance Mode (and tested Advanced > High Output Performance Mode at the suggestion of a colleague), and just about everything else myself and my colleagues can think of.

Basically, it seems that the only thing stopping me isn't even the compute power of my GPU; but rather the brand. I've never encountered an application (excl. CUDA workloads) where there is such a stark performance difference between GPU vendors.
Is there anything else I can try before I shell out the money to replace my RX6800XT with a 30-series? I know 20-series+ is the requirement, but this is my personal workstation and vMix is not the only thing this computer does.
ggudnason  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2022 5:40:37 PM(UTC)
ggudnason

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You definitely want a single Nvidia card running in your machine. Run a test case with just the quadro card installed. If everything runs fine you will know your baseline. Everything better will be your decision and maybe not based on vmix requirements. But do note that quadro cards have more nvenc capabilities.
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2022 7:29:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: beamic Go to Quoted Post
Basically, it seems that the only thing stopping me isn't even the compute power of my GPU; but rather the brand. I've never encountered an application (excl. CUDA workloads) where there is such a stark performance difference between GPU vendors.

Yup. vMix is written to take advantage of specific features on nVidia GTX/RTX cards. Your AMD GPU can't touch that. Get the RTX card. You won't regret it.