logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nsb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:24:51 AM(UTC)
nsb

Groups: Registered

Hey,
wow, I must say that I'm quite astonished. Having been testing for a loooong time both the trial versions of Wirecast and Vidblaster, I was about to conclude, that I had to make compromises in order to stream with the highest quality possible. Now I just discovered vMix, and I'm completely blown away. So far I thought Vidblaster and Wirecast where the only options in order to do professional livestreaming. However both programs have big pros and cons.

I really liked Wirecast and especially the possibility to use animated lower thirds and stuff. But the output quality (I want to do low bandwidth streaming) was horrible - and there was no virtual video output option so that it could be combined with FMLE in order to improve the stream quality (FMLE is really a great encoder). Even though Wirecast is supposed to utilize the same Mainconcept codec as FMLE, the output quality from Wirecast is very bad.

Vidblaster has a great interface, but really lacks a lot when it comes to mixing graphical/animated stuff and also making PiP. Apart from that, it's extremely CPU intensive and brings my i7 system to it's knees. It's also creates some kind of motion blur that makes output look like it's almost slow motion - even though it's not. I was about to choose Vidblaster as my mixing platform, when I just bumped into vMix.

This program is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I'm amazed about how little CPU it needs. I love the GUI and the incredible amounts of different settings. This is really pro stuff. And the audio delay function is something that saves me a lot of headaches.

I have just started testing vMix and so far it looks like my future mixing platform.

I have just one question:

I don't see the borders of the video frame in either the preview nor the output window. Especially when I do a PiP I would very much like to see the borders in order to make the output look good. Is possible to have the frame sizes indicated in some way in these windows? Or maybe just have these windows match the video resolution settings? Hope the question makes sense :-)

Thanks a lot for a great program so far!
nsb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:08:05 PM(UTC)
nsb

Well, I'm actually having some issues getting the audio delay to work properly. I've tried to ad the audio source (line in) together with a video input, and also as an own audio input. But I can't get the audio delay to work, no matter how much I adjust the delay setting. What am I doing wrong??
melody  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:23:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

hi nsb, welcome...

maybe i can help you with a single audio input... so, what you want to do?

1. record from vmix?
2. streaming to external device?

1. if you are trying to record from vmix go to "setup" (near "add input"), select audio input device and audio delay (miliseconds)
note: to mpeg-2 recording only 96khz audio format doesn`t work.

2. if you are trying to stream to external device go to Settings -> External Device and write at "Audio Delay"

thank you for your words above, Martin will be very happy to know it. i was too a vidblaster user and now i use vMix.

regards,
melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
nsb  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:36:06 PM(UTC)
nsb

Hi melody,
thank you for replying! I guess there will be even more ex-Vidblaster users here in this forum in the future - vMix is really far superiour (and even a lot cheaper) in my opinion.

Regarding the audio delay issue: I want to stream to an external device (FMLE). I've tried what you suggest, but with no effect on the audio (I assume I will hear the delay immediatly through my earphones). I've also tried Mixer -> Inputs -> Delay and then adjust, but with no results.

I've also noticed that when I create a new input only with audio from Line in - and then press the green audio button - I get an echo (well more an extra sound, like a 'double sound'). But I guess thats more or less irrelevant for the delay discussion.

Well, audio delay is not that big an issue in vMix compared to Vidblaster. In Vidblaster I needed the Behringer Shark to delay the signal. In vMix the audio and video is pretty much in sync, which is very nice. But it would of course be great to see the effect of using the audio delay in vMix. So if you or somebody else have a suggestion about what to do, I would be very happy.

All the best,

Nicolai
admin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:12:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Nocolai,

First of all, thanks for your kind words about vMix.
vMix has been designed from the beginning with the latest technology in mind, it makes no sense to us that other programs rely so much on the CPU when even budget graphics cards
these days have full mixing capabilities, and we have tried to take advantage of that to its full potential.

As for the audio delay, what video and audio sources are you using? The general setup to get delayed audio into FMLE involves:

1. Setup the Video and Audio inputs in vMix as separate inputs.
2. Set the audio delay under External Output in settings.
3. Use the Stereo Mix option in FMLE as per:

http://www.vmix.com.au/h....htm?RecordingAudio.html

Note: Setting the audio delay int he External Output settings will not be audible from within vMix but the delay should be apparent in the final FMLE stream.
(Which you can check on another computer)

Also, the audio delay option in the Mixer only applies to video files at this time.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin
vMix
melody  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 6:26:55 AM(UTC)

i can show my settings, wich works perfectly with audio delay:

Settings on vMix:

1. Recording
*Audio Delay - 105ms
*Realtek Stereo Line Input
*Audio rate - 48000hz - 16 Bit - 2 Channels
*Video Codec - MPEG-2

2. Streaming to FMLE (External Output)
*Audio Delay - 35ms

Settings on FMLE
*Video Device - vMix Virtual Capture
*Audio Device - Realtek Stereo Line Input (the same as used to record with vMix)

note: you can`t listen the delay with your headphones, but is there.

regards,
melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
nsb  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 6:40:34 AM(UTC)
nsb

Hi Martin,
thank you for clarifying!

When I type in different values in audio delay - under Settings -> External output - I still get no delay in my live stream (checked using another computer that accessed the live stream on Bambuser.com)

My setup is this:

Separate live video input and live audio input. In Settings -> External output I choose the audio input device: Stereo Mix (Realtek High Def). I can only choose the audio input device when I've chosen Decklink Renderer and not vMix Virtual Capture Device.

In FMLE I choose the same audio source: Stereo Mix (Realtek High Def)

But even though I try different settings for audio delay, I can't seem to get it working.

@Melody, I just saw your new reply, thanks for sharing the details! I notice that you record your mixed signal also - I just send it directly to FMLE without recording. Might that make a difference? Otherwise it looks like we're using almost the same settings in FMLE - well, my audio device is Stereo Mix but it's the same as in vMix.

Thank you both for looking into this!

All the best

Nicolai
melody  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 6:53:09 AM(UTC)

with these settings i can stream and record at same time without problems. at once it`s all working fine here...
nsb  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 7:34:32 AM(UTC)
nsb

Hm, still can't get it to work.

But I've noticed an interesting thing: when I make adjustments in the Settings -> External output (vMix) then it seems like FMLE can't detect the changes. If I change the resolution in External output (vMix), then shut down and restart FMLE, then FMLE doesn't detect the change in the settings. Maybe there's a problem for vMix to implement the settings changes in the output signal - and therefore it also have problems with making the audio delay?
melody  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 7:48:49 AM(UTC)

i recomend you to restart vmix and fmle after any change... it takes a big difference... at least for me...
nsb  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 9:58:07 AM(UTC)
nsb

Melody, I think we are getting closer to the solution. I haven't given it a thought that I needed to restart vMix when I make changes in the settings. I thought there would pop up an info box if I needed. But now I realize that this note in the bottom of the settings actually applies to maybe most of the changes in the settings. And maybe also the delay function. I will test to see if a restart of vMix - after I've typed in the audio delay - will make the delay working. Thanks so far!
leonel261083  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:55:50 PM(UTC)
leonel261083

hi guys, I think the same, Vmix is great. but I would like to use *. swf animations with a variable called "statement" I use it in the titles for my live news. but you use the xaml, but it is not animated. XD I hope to add the option to edit *. swf text, with this variable. I use Arkaos 3.5 but Vmix is 200% better