logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
engelschall  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2022 6:08:32 AM(UTC)
engelschall

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 17 post(s)
In OBS Studio one can use the ultra-useful add-on plugin "Source Mirror" to mirror the content of any source or even a complex scene into a new regular source in order to apply new filters and others things on top of the (mirrored) content. In vMix, it seems only the instance-limited (max 3) "Mix" inputs are somewhat of this kind, but because of a maximum of 3 instances, this input is practically useless to be used for this purpose.

I've now multiple times hit the wall by recognizing that one cannot easily create an input in vMix hich really 1:1 mirrors/inherits the content of a source input in order to allow me to apply e.g. a chroma-key effect or apply a Virtual PTZ functionality on the source input AND THEIR MERGED IN layers of the source input.

The "Create Virtual Input" functionality looks(!) like this, but it isn't, because it mirrors/inherits the main content layer and the layers 1-10 individually(!) instead of merging/mixing/pre-rendering the main content layer and the layers 1-10 of the source input into the new main content layer of the target input.

So, what I would like to see in vMix is a new type of input which has the same layer merging/mixing/pre-rendering functionality of "Mix", but without any Preview/Program mixing functionality and without the nasty max-3-instance limitation. This would make vMix even cooler and opens the door for more flexible input setups and this way more complex events.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2022 4:46:23 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Would, if implemented, Flattening solve your problem? See
https://forums.vmix.com/...yers-for-Easier-Cropping
engelschall  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:53:17 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

Yes, indeed. Such a "flatten" feature would also solve my problems. Unfortunately, it isn't available in vMix and the alternatives (using the max-3-instances "Mix" input and the NDI-export-and-re-import workaround) are not really practically usable. So, I really hope that in the next vMix version we get such a "flatten" functionality...
doggy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2022 10:42:04 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: engelschall Go to Quoted Post
Yes, indeed. Such a "flatten" feature would also solve my problems. Unfortunately, it isn't available in vMix and the alternatives (using the max-3-instances "Mix" input and the NDI-export-and-re-import workaround) are not really practically usable. So, I really hope that in the next vMix version we get such a "flatten" functionality...

v25 also has the OUTPUT as input directly!
engelschall  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2022 8:39:51 AM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

But this "Output" input is just for the "official" outputs, right? Do you really recommend that whenever one needs to apply a chroma-key or a virtual PTZ on an (intermediate) input, one should first send this input to an output and then get it back as an input in order to apply anything on it? How many "Output" inputs can be used at all? For "Mix" input we have at least 3 instances. How many "Output" can be used?
engelschall  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2022 9:26:31 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

Until vMix gets a real pre-rendering/flattening/mirroring functionality, we have to stick with the Mix inputs. As it is ultra inconvenient that we have just 3 of them available, we are forced to reuse them for the purpose of pre-rendering/flattening/mirroring, of course.

In order to simplify this process I've created a VB.Net script for vMix 4K/Pro which automatically reuses and reconfigured two configured Mix inputs whenever a scene input comes into PREVIEW. Find the scripts under https://github.com/rse/v...b/master/auto-pre-mix.vb and its documentation under https://github.com/rse/v.../master/auto-pre-mix.md.
doggy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2022 3:30:44 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Full screen size mirrored UV map (virtual set)
engelschall  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2022 9:01:43 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

Oh, great tip: the Virtual Set with a full-screen UV Map (like the https://www.vmix.com/download/uvmapsample.zip which can be used 1:1) is really another interesting workaround. Indeed, I've checked it, it works similar to a Mix-input for flattening the content. And it has not the limitation of just 3 instances. Many thanks for the great hint.
doggy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2022 9:05:24 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: engelschall Go to Quoted Post
Oh, great tip: the Virtual Set with a full-screen UV Map (like the https://www.vmix.com/download/uvmapsample.zip which can be used 1:1) is really another interesting workaround. Indeed, I've checked it, it works similar to a Mix-input for flattening the content. And it has not the limitation of just 3 instances. Many thanks for the great hint.

outofthebox.jpg (44kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
engelschall  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2022 7:50:08 AM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

The UV Map based Virtual Set "doggy" mentioned really works as expected. Unfortunately, I was not able to find UV Maps for both 4K, FHD and HD, so I've generated them and assembled a Virtual Set template out of them exactly for this purpose: https://github.com/rse/v.../vMix-VirtualSet-Flatten This is a Virtual Set which provides three UV Map based inputs (just use the one which fits best for your source input and disable the other two) and hence can be used as a "flattening/mirroring/pre-rendering" intermediate input.
thanks 1 user thanked engelschall for this useful post.
Roy Sinclair on 7/9/2022(UTC)