logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TRMaCoy  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 3:06:27 AM(UTC)
TRMaCoy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Anyone have thoughts/experience on the M2 form factor capture cards from Magewell and Yuan?

I've been using the Magewell for a while, and it's perfectly fine, aside from running at temps that seem absurdly hot to me; 85-95C is quite common. Another post here mentioned the Yuan cards seem to run cooler; think that might have referred to one with an active cooler though, the one I'm testing with a passive heatsink also seems insanely hot. Anyone had one or the other fail during a show? Or are they really okay under that kind of heat? (I start to tense up if my CPU breaks 60C.) I'm experimenting with different heatsink configurations on one Magewell where I've got the space, definitely possible to do better than the stock variant.
Thanks
paco3346  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 6:19:01 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Wow, that's nuts!

The DeckLink 8k Pros max out at 50C. The AJA equivalent maxes out at 40C.

Do Magewell or Yaun publish a max temp limit for their m2 cards?
TRMaCoy  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 10:25:44 AM(UTC)
TRMaCoy

United States

I seem to recall coming across a note from Magewell that anything under 100C was perfectly fine which... doesn't sound safe to me. The Magewell driver info lets you inspect the card temperature, which is currently in an open air case in a slightly warm room cruising at 102C. Haven't found any similar data on Yuan's side, but pressing a thermal probe against the heatsink gives me near 70C on the Magewell, 66C on the Yuan. So the Yuan runs a little cooler, but not much. And that's all without any load besides an input or two opened in vMix; on the Magewell at least temperature doesn't seem to vary much regardless of what the card's doing.
TRMaCoy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2022 6:19:54 AM(UTC)
TRMaCoy

United States

Should anyone else search this, for what it's worth, I pointed a small USB blower style fan at one of the Magewell cards with the stock heatsink and dropped the temp from 95C to 65C in less than two minutes. Highly recommended.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2022 7:47:23 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
As a rule, there are two kinds of capture cards; FPGA-based or ASIC-based.

Magewell are FPGA-based models. They are typically first to market, and typically a bit more $, but run hotter. Their functionality may be extended over time via firmware updates.

Yuan are ASIC-based models. These are much later to market, since it takes time to have the ASIC designed and manufactured. Once it's available it's cheap to manufacture in quantity. That makes the resulting capture cards less expensive. Their functionality is typically tightly defined. While drivers might be updated, the onboard firmware is not as extensible.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
TRMaCoy on 7/6/2022(UTC)
TRMaCoy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2022 12:39:39 PM(UTC)
TRMaCoy

United States

Thanks for the note. I recall reading something along those lines, which led me to see if the Yuan card ran any cooler. Maybe it makes more of a difference in the full sized PCI versions, cause the M2 form factor both brands felt like they were running insanely hot. Yuan doesn't appear the have the thermal readout you can get in the Magewell though, so couldn't tell for sure aside from a thermal probe. For now, I'm going with rigging fans up for active cooling in the Magewell builds.