logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichShumaker  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 4:24:44 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
With the increase in Live productions being Vertical Video 9:16. I would like an easy way to create an entire production that way.

For my productions I have rotated my preview screen 90 degrees and I record 1080p 16:9 and then I rotate in "post".

This feature request rotates the main output and preview 90 degrees.

That way you are actually looking at 1080 X 1920 and not 1920 X 1080 with Vertical lines

If you currently do 9:16 productins you must have 4k as you must "overshoot" and allow to crop.

Oh and side not I do a lot of 1.575 rotations.
RichShumaker  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 4:41:24 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

I am not trying to talk my way out of a feature. I just want to discuss difficulty. I know this is a BIG ask and I wonder if my simple rotate the end screen could be applied up front. Force the preview and Master Out into a 9:16 rotation?

I don't code much and I hack when I do. I can see the monumental task to do this and that is why I say it is a big ask
Unfortunately more and more clients want or need this

The current method to do it is clunky at best and typically requires another streaming software to get it done. It also requires you to "waste space" using a higher resolution so you can chop off the sides and end up with what you need.
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 10:10:56 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Wow zero traction so far. I was hoping for at least one +1.

I am back to further explain the goal here as more people have asked and made comments about this request on other forums.

The goal is WYSIWYG 9:16 with no workarounds

The same way that when you choose 4:3 as your production size vMix will re-configure things. I know this exists because SD is the old standard and existed before we adopted 16:9.
9:16 is being used more and more and I would love a native 9:16 production experience.

Thanks again everyone for checking this out. Hi Martin.

melody  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 7:54:21 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi,

First of all, as you can imagine, vMix team is not watching second by second for new requests, you can check out the "Note about this forum" on the link bellow:

https://forums.vmix.com/...ad-Note-about-this-forum

to help you, vMix itself is not optimized for vertical productions... Yet... however you have some "workarounds" using the external vmix video feature, you can easily setup OBS, Prism Live Studio or StreamLabs by Stretch or cut the source to fit a 9:16 production.

Cheers,
Melody
gzifcak  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:05:51 PM(UTC)
gzifcak

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1

I see you already commented on my earlier request for this, hopefully we get a solution soon!

https://forums.vmix.com/...t--vertical--Resolutions

RichShumaker  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2022 2:12:30 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Originally Posted by: melody Go to Quoted Post

Cheers,
Melody

Thank you so much for your reply.
I was never expecting to post here and it gets done(possibly some day maybe is all I hope for) or even seen right away. I sincerely apologize if it sounded that way.

I do appreciate you giving me some workarounds.

My goal is to end the workarounds for VV(9:16) content.

I have been doing workarounds when I do VV(9:16) content with vMix for years and when I am being told just use OBS this way or another software that way I get bummed.

vMix is my favorite software I have ever used. I hear the day to day arrrrgh and oweee that I and others experience producing VV(9:16) content for themselves and clients and it makes me want a better way.

When I started making VV(9:16) content it was niche. Now it is the largest platform in the world(TikTok) with everyone else having a flavor(YT Shorts, FB Stories, ect ect ect )

Oh and I have heard after posting from many people there complete dislike of VV(9:16). It is the Pentax of video formats. As I said on those threads don't hate the player hate the game

Also I know when Martin reads this he will want to know "why should I spend the time" especially if there is an "easy" workaround. My answer to that is there is no "easy" workaround they all require sacrifices. Produce landscape and flip in post or in other software.(nightmarish to easily create titles animations and other things 1.575 is my friend). Or overproduce and over tax a computer at 4k for 1080p content because of the crop. Also your previews for overproduced are 1/3 visual size as you can not rotate the preview you get a heavily masked(read greatly reduced) preview.