logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JefHaugh  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 11:09:04 AM(UTC)
JefHaugh

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When I run a playlist, the next input pushes the old to the preview window. I would love it if the upcoming input were shown the the preview window.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 6:04:31 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
This is normal behaviour and your request makes no sense: the principle of a playlist is to run unattended "automatically". Why would you need a preview for next input?
JefHaugh  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 12:20:13 AM(UTC)
JefHaugh

United States

I run a worship service each week with vMix. My playlist changes week to week (adding or removing elements) and the playlist really does makes my life easier. But since I don't have the playlist showing, having the next input showing in the preview window could prevent a problem.

Besides, for my purposes, seeing what's coming is better than what has already been shown.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 1:13:51 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

The very concept of a playlist is to make sure that each item is as it must be PRIOR to the show...
JefHaugh  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 11:30:32 PM(UTC)
JefHaugh

United States

Showing a preview just helps me catch mistakes. Besides, what use is showing the previous input? What's the harm?

DWAM  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 11:52:08 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

There's no harm, it's just the way it works.
A Playlist sends elements in PGM at once 'cos it's designed to run UNATTENDED.
Sending them in PVW makes no sense 'cos it would require to send them before they're supposed to play and would require a second command to switch from PVW to PGM. A Playlist has an internal mechanism to trigger next element on previous element completion. That's the very nature of a playlist.
A Playlist is supposed to be built correctly and it shows in the list what's next in the right order...
If this design does not suit you (although it's logical), just go manual...
JessShake  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 2:40:15 PM(UTC)
JessShake

United States

Respectfully, showing the next item in preview makes perfect sense, especially if you're running the playlist in manual mode. It's a PREVIEW window, not POSTVIEW, after all. Just because it may be difficult to program does not make it illogical from an end user's point of view. The preview window is there for you to confirm what you're going to see live before you switch to it. The playlist function offers a very nice manual mode to let you click through a series of inputs. It would be that much more handy if you could see a preview before you switch to the next input. It would be very useful to me, and I believe for others as well. Showing the most recent slide in preview may make sense from a programming perspective, but it serves no useful purpose from an operator's perspective.

Jess

thanks 1 user thanked JessShake for this useful post.
Mark508 on 3/31/2022(UTC)
David_in_Philly  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:07:46 AM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1 - as an option, when in "Playlist Mode"
Mark508  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2022 1:43:08 AM(UTC)
Mark508

United States

I am new to livestreaming and vMix (1 year), so please excuse my inexperience if I’m going at this wrong. Our church just installed a second camera, which is great, but it also presents new challenges. I now have triggers on the various camera presets (pulpit, lectern, piano, organ full church view, etc.) that are set to preview each upcoming camera preset in our worship service Playlist. The Playlist alternates between camera 1 and 2 so viewers don’t see camera movement. The question I have is how to automatically move to the next item in the Playlist (without viewers seeing camera movement) when the input for that preset was used previously in the service to ready/trigger a different view? Following is an example Playlist with inputs and triggers to show what I’m trying to explain. Steps 1 to 5 go smoothly, but as I advance to step 6, how would I hide the dizzying Cam 2 movement between Full Church and Piano inputs? As a workaround, I have added lots of additional inputs of the same view (i.e. Lectern to trigger Full Church, Lectern to trigger Piano) just so I can avoid camera movement in the Playlist, but I’m finding that to be confusing and it adds lots of input overhead. In line with the original poster's question, it would helpful if the Playlist could somehow preview the NEXT item instead of the LAST one. If it did that I wouldn’t need these preview triggers. Is there a better way for me to do this? Thanks!

1. Cam 1 Pulpit – triggers preview of organ on Cam 2
2. Cam 2 Organ – triggers preview of lectern on Cam 1
3. Cam 1 Lectern – triggers preview of full church on Cam 2
4. Cam 2 Full Church – triggers preview of lectern on Cam 1
5. Cam 1 Lectern – how to automatically preview the piano on Cam 2 without seeing movement from Cam 2's last position, which was Full Church?
6. Cam 2 Piano
melody  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2022 4:29:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

JeffHaug, i understand your situation, specialy in productions with a fixed guide, playing specific inputs when they are ready to go.

in fact, there is a way to preview next item on playlist, just add this two triggers in all inputs of your playlist:

OnTransitionIn - PreviewInputNext - 500 (delay)
OnTransitionIn - PreviewInputNext - 600 (delay)

for some reason, this is working only when second item on playlist is going live, but when you start playlist just click on the second input to see it in preview.

+1 for add this feature as an option on Playlist
Caroline  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2022 12:52:41 AM(UTC)
Caroline

Canada

Hi Mark508,

Our church uses title cards to hide camera movements. In your example it would be

1. Camera on pulpit
2. title card with "Reflection" or "Meditate" or whatever
- put camera preset as a layer
- make that layer zero size
3. Camera on piano
JefHaugh  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2024 2:32:18 AM(UTC)
JefHaugh

United States

melody - thanks, I had given up on this but went back and saw your post. It's helpful except it is showing the next input in numeric order, not playlist order. But I can make that work, I think.

Any other ideas?