logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steven Forster  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2022 6:05:02 AM(UTC)
Steven Forster

Groups: Registered
United States

Have been getting a lot of complaints about the latency of vMix call and the ability to hold a normal conversation. Most of the presenters are used to Zoom/Teams and when logging into vMix their attitudes immediately get cranky. I'm trying to shy away from the ZoomISO route to be able to maintain audio control. vMix 25.0.0.9 x64 / Windows 10. I've searched, but haven't found the magic answers yet of where to start looking for a way to reduce this time or change settings on their vmix call interface.
ShermanPat  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2022 11:22:40 AM(UTC)
ShermanPat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Saw your post and thought I would point out that ZoomISO V2 now has ISO Audio and Video outputs. You can use SDI, NDI and HDMI for video and audio or even use Dante or audio interfaces.

https://www.liminalet.com/zoomiso
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2022 4:03:27 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Steven, how is your audio routed? We use vMix call regularly and people can indeed "have a normal conversation".

We also Zoom Rooms (will evaluate ZooomISO) with NDI ISO Audio out, but generally less video/audio quality and REALLY miss not having talkback functionality.

But, nowadays almost all our vMix Callers want to be able to change their background (a very pop FR in this Forum).
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2022 1:15:37 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post
But, nowadays almost all our vMix Callers want to be able to change their background (a very pop FR in this Forum).

Sigh. This makes me sad. The background replacement "feature" of these services is dreadfully bad. The nasty, wobbly composite edge is so distracting. It's much worse than whatever real background they might have had.

It just screams out "lazy" to me.

I admit, earlier in my career I was an online editor responsible for creating Ultimatte composites in commercials. I want green screen composites to be clean.

Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
mavik  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2022 1:59:00 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Background removal is nice. I agree. It would be a cool feature.
As an alternative there are AI cams that do it in-cam, or there is additional software like chromacam or xsplit vcam. All three options do a perfect job.
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2022 7:04:07 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Background removal is nice. I agree. It would be a cool feature.
As an alternative there are AI cams that do it in-cam, or there is additional software like chromacam or xsplit vcam. All three options do a perfect job.

I presume you meant "imperfect."

From what I've seen and tried, they vary from abysmal to merely bad.

mavik  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2022 10:02:05 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
It really depends how high you set the expectations. For a web-conference they all do good enough. For broadcast neither of them does a perfect job. I get the best results with the AI driven cam. No software needed, just plug and play.
Noradavis  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2022 7:20:28 PM(UTC)
Noradavis

Woman
United States

This latency can range from approx 200ms for guests on the same or nearby network to between 1 and 1.5 seconds for guests located on different continents or on congested networks.vMix Desktop Capture has an option in settings called Use GPU Acceleration. This is ticked by default and is recommended to be left on in most situations. fullscreen games in most situations. For the technically minded out there, it uses a Windows technology called "DXGI Desktop Duplication API".
The bottom line is both vMix and OBS are powerful platforms. If your budget is low, OBS is the obvious choice, as it is if you're a Mac or Linux user. However, vMix comes with a more robust feature set, especially if you opt for the higher-priced versions
https://www.clickercounter.org/