logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulProe  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2022 4:36:49 AM(UTC)
PaulProe

Groups: Registered
United States

We are using vMix to send our church services to Zoom and also to record the service. We are using only the audio controls that come with the program, no other plugins. The compressor is enabled at 4:1, sorry, I forget the exact threshold dB. The noise gate is enabled and set to about -85 dB.

We have one member who sits fairly close to the microphones that pick up the congregation. He has a very loud, sharp cough/hack. When this occurs, we notice the sound seems to cut off and takes about 500ms to come back on.

Can anyone help me to understand this delay on return of sound processing. Is it something built into vMix or a factor of one of our settings? I read about release settings on compressors but I don't see any settings in the vMix app that apply to this.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to address this. Not able to move the mic's and getting him to sit further away is not an easy option. ;-)

Thanks in advance

Paul
mtone  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2022 10:04:27 AM(UTC)
mtone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
if you can make the microphone near him its own input in vMix and run a second compressor on it that should help prevent coughing from affecting the rest of the audio from other microphones.. in that scenario a cough would trigger the compressor on his mic only and the other mics/audio shouldnt be affected..

if you cant make his microphone its own input then you could try a VST plugin that has adjustable release settings but release settings alone may not fully fix it.