logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
udo.schneider  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2022 8:12:07 AM(UTC)
udo.schneider

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm currently building Virtual Sets for vMix and I'm wondering about the maximum possible size.

If I want to use the full 5x Zoom Range for a 1080p Project I'd need to provide a 10K Virtual Set. This would mean a whopping 395MB per UV Layer (in Memory - Disk might be compressed). For a 4K project this would be a 20K Virtual Set with 1.5GB per Layer ... The 1.5BG is IMHO definitely pointless. But even "just" 395M per Layer is quite taxing ... esp. when using multiple Layers.

So I'm wondering if there is a hard limit? Or even just a informal one.

Thanks,

Udo
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2022 6:21:22 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Currently the maximum resolution that vMix supports is 4K.
udo.schneider  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2022 1:31:54 AM(UTC)
udo.schneider

Germany

Originally Posted by: sinc747 Go to Quoted Post
Currently the maximum resolution that vMix supports is 4K.

Thanks for the info. It seems this only applies to other sources though.

I finally had the chance to checkout the virtual set in vMix (rendering 10K/20k sets takes days ...). I was able to successfully import a 10K Set (9600x5400) in vMix. This would allow the full 5x virtual set zoom with HD1080 sources.

20K (19200x10800) didn't work - but I didn't check anything in between. So not sure about the range >10k but <20k.

I checked on a Quadro P4000 and RTX3060. Same result.

CU,

Udo

freefishday  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2022 9:59:40 PM(UTC)
freefishday

China

Udo,

Do you mean you are able to change resolution of virtual set over 4K? How did you do that?
udo.schneider  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2022 2:32:55 AM(UTC)
udo.schneider

Germany

Originally Posted by: freefishday Go to Quoted Post
Do you mean you are able to change resolution of virtual set over 4K? How did you do that?

I wasn't able to change existing sets to 4K. Those are mostly 1080p AFAIK.

I generated my own virtual sets in Blender. And vMix imported those sets up to 10K. Everything above failed.

So for a 1080p project a 10K set (9600x5400) allows to use vMix's maximum 5x zoom in virtual sets w/o any bluring.

Some samples (4K, 8bit) are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/...ImYQejV9D-L2tS3edLa?dl=0

CU,

Udo

thanks 1 user thanked udo.schneider for this useful post.
Reinaldo on 4/12/2022(UTC)
udo.schneider  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:24:53 PM(UTC)
udo.schneider

Germany

Originally Posted by: udo.schneider Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: freefishday Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the requests I got regarding those sets. I just decided to release the 16bit versions as free/beta versions as well. So no jaggy 8 bit UV maps anymore. Just use the same link as above.

License
The virtual sets contained in this folder are licensed under CC0. So basically you're free to do anything with it you like. I'd be happy to hear about it's usage and/or get feedback though.

Virtual Set 1 consists of several camera angles all depicting the same stage like virtual sets. It features:
  • A large main screen
  • Two smaller (left/right) screens
  • Two talents
  • A "lights on" and "lights off" version of all sets.
  • Some "advanced" stuff like dynamic screen/talent influence on the environment (ambient/diffuse).

Camera Angles Light/Dark
Using a combination of dark and light sets can lead to some very impressive effects. E.g. start your show on a dark camera angle with some intro video playing on the screens. The video will also ilumminate your audience. Then use the exact same angle in it's light version and fade to it. The effect will be similar to a real event where you start in darkness and then turn on the stage lighting.

All camera angles in this set use the same set of dynamic inputs. So if you use multiple cameras you can simply copy your layer settings between them.

UV Placement
Please note that you SHOULD NOT change the placement of the UVs in the Virtual set settings as this would also move their influence (ambient/diffuse) on the environment. If you need to change a talent position please do so in the talent input. The size_chart.png file provides some guideance how to position/size your talent.

Talent in Dark set
The talents in the dark set should be completely black. The easiest way to achive this in vMix is to create a virtual copy of your (keyed!) talent and reduce it's color gain to zero. This should leave you with a totally black silhouette of your talent. Use this silhouette as talent in the Dark Sets.

Shadows in Light set
The Light sets do contain an optional shadow layer. The easiest way to get a usable shadow layer input is to create a silhouette like for the dark talent. Then (virtually) copy it and change the opacity as you like (I like 25%-50%). Use this transparent silhouette as shadow in the Light Sets.

Caveats
  • The set is not final. I'm not yet 100% satisfied with the ambient/diffuse influence. Consider it "beta".
  • The camera angles/focus-lengths are "kind-of" correct. If you would like to have other angles please contact me. Please also note that most camera angles are pretty wide intentionally, because they were rendered with the possibility for 5x Zoom in vMix in mind.
  • The set is 4K "only". This allows you to zoom it 2x in a 1080p and ~3x in a 720p project without any loss in quality. The final set will also contain 10k images allowing for vMix's full 5x Zoom in a 1080p project.

"Eval" Versions
The folder also contains two "Eval_*" folders. Do not use those in production because the UVs in there are 8bit only and will lead to horrible looking "jaggy" images.

Contact
You can contact me under Udo_Schneider@homeaddress.de