logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gickosa  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2022 4:01:57 PM(UTC)
gickosa

Groups: Registered

hello together

I have a delay problem with a canon legria hf g30 and blackmagic decklink minirecorder 4k. When I monitor the video signal in vmix, it has a massive latency over 8 seconds. I have looked to see if there are any adjustments on the camera or on the capture card, but to no avail. This is my setup:

1x Canon Legria hf g-30 (US version is called Vixia) to blackmagic minirecorder 4k
1x Canon Legria hf g-25 (US version is called Vixia) to blackmagic minirecorder

(The problem is the same for both cameras).

PC system:
- Asus Sabertooth x299 Mark 2 MOBO
- 64gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
- Asus Strix Geforce 1060 graphics card
- i7 28 lane cpu (I would have to look up the exact type)

It's tedious to adjust the audio signal with such a huge delay. The system is used to stream DJ sets, so no realtime telephony or other applications that need very short delay times.

My basic question: what is the problem here? In the camera settings, in the decklink recorder or in vmix ???? I really need help.......

Thanks a lot to all of you!
Sascha
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 3:20:43 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
What is the length of your HDMI cables from the Canon cameras to the decklinks?

Have you experimented using just one (1) card in your system to see if the problem goes away?
xaver  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 3:50:00 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gickosa Go to Quoted Post

PC system:

How Many FPS
Whats about the vMix status (Render time / GPU Mem / CPU vMix / total ?
What's you vMix Setup

We also use a BMD MiniRec 4K (SDI input) without any visible delay

gickosa  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 4:15:25 AM(UTC)
gickosa

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
What is the length of your HDMI cables from the Canon cameras to the decklinks?

Have you experimented using just one (1) card in your system to see if the problem goes away?

many thanks for your response sportsnet usa! i tried very short until long ones (1.5m, 3m, 6m)

of course i tried only one card in different slots (my cpu does support 28 lanes, so the last pci slot is deactivated)

are there any settings on the capture card? i don't see there anything
gickosa  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 5:12:48 AM(UTC)
gickosa

Originally Posted by: xaver Go to Quoted Post

PC system:

How Many FPS
Whats about the vMix status (Render time / GPU Mem / CPU vMix / total ?
What's you vMix Setup

We also use a BMD MiniRec 4K (SDI input) without any visible delay

i almost dare not write this, but i selected 59.97fps (ntsc) instead of 50fps (pal) (am in europe, switzerland)...... now it is very good, estimated only 100-200ms delay! I suppose this is normal. i tried this now with the hf g30 at 50fps on the BMD minirecorder 4k. I still have to grab out the hf g25 first and then i will try the same with 25fps with BMD minirecorder duo.

While we're at it: I plan to run the hf g25 (unfortunately can't go higher) at 25fps and the hf g30 at 50fps (this is necessary because of relatively fast changes). do i have to set a "master framerate" in vmix when i run cameras with different framerates? i haven't found a tutorial on this exact topic, or did i miss something? Here you can also give a link to a tutorial, that you do not have to write so much. As you can see I am a video beginner!

Further, I also have a problem with my lighting. This is a LED strip lighting (RGBW) with controller. As soon as I dim the light, it begins to flicker (I could have come earlier because of the clocking of the power supply ...) . Can I fix this with the shutter speed? We have in Switzerland a power grid with 50hz, should I set a shutter of 1/50? Otherwise I would have to buy a video light, but my money is very limited. If it does not necessarily have to be, then rather not! But if it must be, what do you think of this?

https://www.fotichaestli...VTgb0EAQYASABEgJSsfD_BwE

thank you very much for your support!
sascha

P.S: sorry for my bad english....
gickosa  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2022 5:19:27 AM(UTC)
gickosa

sorry, render time is 1-2ms, gpu mem 2%,cpu vmix 2%,total 4%
paco3346  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:50:09 PM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Two thoughts comes to mind:

I've seen a lot of Vixia series cameras that have substantial delay on their HDMI ports (but nowhere near 8 seconds). Have you hooked the camera up to another display to see what the latency is?

When you're selecting your input in vMix are you selecting the Decklink card or the Decklink Video Renderer? The latter uses Blackmagic software to do the capture (as opposed to vMix talking directly to the card) and can add significant latency.
gickosa  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 8:01:50 PM(UTC)
gickosa

sorry for the wait, i write back in the evening cet (europe time), many thanks for of you!
markleman  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2022 1:29:36 AM(UTC)
markleman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a delay problem with a canon legria hf g30 and blackmagic decklink minirecorder 4k. When I monitor the video signal in vmix, it has a massive latency over 8 seconds.

That is a really odd problem, 8 seconds is a lot of data to be buffered or stored somewhere. I would be surprised if the camera it's self is causing that much delay, but you live a learn.

If you plug the camera directly into a TV or monitor via HDMI do you see any delay? That would indicate if the delay was in the camera (at least for that specific set of HDMI handshaking - so not 100% ruled out)

Have you tried the looking at the video live in the BMD 'media express' program? That would show if the delay was present with a different capture program.

I have 2x 'Canon Legria HF G-40' which I have captured with no delay using both my vmix setups:
1) Asus Zenbook Ux325E + Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G via thunderbolt 3 (tried both HDMI and 3G-SDI inputs )
2) Desktop PC with choice 3 different capture cards: BMD DeckLink Duo 2, BMD DeckLink mini recorder (tried both HDMI and 3G-SDI) & Magewell Pro Capture Quad SDI.

I capture 1080p50 and normally go directly from my camera via a short HDMI cable in to a 'BMD HDMI to 3G-SDI converter' and then off to the vmix system. But if the camera is local I may use the HDMI inputs on the BMD devices that have it.

In all cases there has been no perceptible delay between the camera and screen.

I recently added a PTZ camera over NDI and that does have short delay (going to guess ~250ms)

Good luck and do report back when you find out what the problem is.

Regards,
Mark
gickosa  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2022 11:09:39 PM(UTC)
gickosa

Hi, im back, sorry for the late reply. I found out! I took the old cam input from my template. There i have a different cam in the past. When i make a complete new vmix template with the right resolution, it work very well. Sorry for this beginner fault! many thanks for all that help me out! thread closed

greetings sascha