logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ispyisail  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 11:29:36 AM(UTC)
ispyisail

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all

Has anybody managed to set up a bonded network/redundancy for a vMix SRT connection?

Thanks
gre2gor  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 4:17:04 PM(UTC)
gre2gor

Slovenia

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Not totaly vMix related, but you could use vMix as we do.
I have openMPTCProuter, which is a two part thing. One is the VPS (Amazon, hosting providers, … or your office) which needs to be at least KVM if virtual and it needs to be Linux (Ubuntu/Debian). You install one part of the openMPTCProuter software (special kernel) on your chosen VPS server, the other part is RaspberryPi, Netbook or any other computer capable of running Linux (64bit preferred).
We bond up to 8 connections, but mostly 4 is enough (3x LTE, one 5G). We get around 100/100mbit.
I have Cerevo Liveshell encoder, which sends MPEGTS to another PI running Linux and Nimble server. This Pi takes the stream (MPEGTS, RTSP or RTMP) locally from the encoder (you could use vMix > RTMP > Pi > SRT > VPS) and this Pi "converts" any input to SRT. SRT is then sent to VPS server which runs Nimble as well (Nimble & openMPTCP). From VPS server the signal goes to Restream.io via RTMP and SRT to our MCR. Before I was sending 8-10mbits and has some troubles (doing approx. 150 sport events per year, had problems 3, 4 times). Now I can send from the event 15mbit via SRT. The stream is almost flat line at 15000 mbit which never happened before. I pulled out 2 connections during the stream, but it survived.
thanks 3 users thanked gre2gor for this useful post.
ispyisail on 10/7/2021(UTC), aircooled76@gmail.com on 3/24/2022(UTC), SPSTech on 4/8/2022(UTC)
ispyisail  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2021 6:16:18 PM(UTC)
ispyisail

Thank you

This is exactly what I'm after
ispyisail  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2021 10:12:53 AM(UTC)
ispyisail

@Admin I'm not sure what your status is on including opensource software in vmix is, but have you considered hard baking something like this in vmix?
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2022 10:22:08 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gre2gor Go to Quoted Post
I have openMPTCProuter, which is a two part thing. One is the VPS (Amazon, hosting providers, … or your office) which needs to be at least KVM if virtual and it needs to be Linux (Ubuntu/Debian). You install one part of the openMPTCProuter software (special kernel) on your chosen VPS server, the other part is RaspberryPi, Netbook or any other computer capable of running Linux (64bit preferred).
We bond up to 8 connections, but mostly 4 is enough (3x LTE, one 5G). We get around 100/100mbit.
I have Cerevo Liveshell encoder, which sends MPEGTS to another PI running Linux and Nimble server. This Pi takes the stream (MPEGTS, RTSP or RTMP) locally from the encoder (you could use vMix > RTMP > Pi > SRT > VPS) and this Pi "converts" any input to SRT. SRT is then sent to VPS server which runs Nimble as well (Nimble & openMPTCP). From VPS server the signal goes to Restream.io via RTMP and SRT to our MCR. Before I was sending 8-10mbits and has some troubles (doing approx. 150 sport events per year, had problems 3, 4 times). Now I can send from the event 15mbit via SRT. The stream is almost flat line at 15000 mbit which never happened before. I pulled out 2 connections during the stream, but it survived.

Thanks for sharing this. I am currently typing on my OPENMPTCP setup. Starlink and my home internet joined, working very well.

I am trying to send an SRT Stream directly from vMix to AWS Elements via the OPENMPTCP setup. I can send from my vMix Machine on my OPENMPTCP network to my other vMix machine on my home internet. So the OPENMPTCP setup seems not to be blocking it. But when I try to send to the AWS Elements Flow SRT input it will not connect. I can send to the AWS FLow from my home network vmix. So each part is working, but just not playing nice.

The OPENMPTCP Server is based on an AWS instance too... So wondering if I need to do anything different when talking between AWS elements.

Not sure where to look now Ill keep playing with it!
Maximus  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2022 8:56:11 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
They are permission settings in the Security configuration for the AWS Instances to allow communication between instances. It is required for NDI between instances, so I am guessing a similar requirement exist for your particular scenario. You might have to do some research to find the correct config

Maxi
Kata  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2022 6:51:33 PM(UTC)
Kata

Originally Posted by: aircooled76@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for sharing this. I am currently typing on my OPENMPTCP setup. Starlink and my home internet joined, working very well.

I am trying to send an SRT Stream directly from vMix to AWS Elements via the OPENMPTCP setup. I can send from my vMix Machine on my OPENMPTCP network to my other vMix machine on my home internet. So the OPENMPTCP setup seems not to be blocking it. But when I try to send to the AWS Elements Flow SRT input it will not connect. I can send to the AWS FLow from my home network vmix. So each part is working, but just not playing nice.

The OPENMPTCP Server is based on an AWS instance too... So wondering if I need to do anything different when talking between AWS elements.

Not sure where to look now Ill keep playing with it!

You can try to setup FastoCloud on AWS and receive your srt stream.
fabfab10  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2024 12:13:02 AM(UTC)
fabfab10

Italy

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Has anyone managed to make vMix with SRT working over bonded network using OpenMPTCP router?
gre2gor  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2024 5:21:18 AM(UTC)
gre2gor

Slovenia

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 6 post(s)
We dropped OpenMPTCP completely. Now using / testing SRT live transmit and SRT bonding. The results are much better than OpenMPTCP and much more reliable.
fabfab10  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2024 8:54:20 PM(UTC)
fabfab10

Italy

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We dropped OpenMPTCP completely. Now using / testing SRT live transmit and SRT bonding. The results are much better than OpenMPTCP and much more reliable.

Could you please give me some more info on what you are using exactly?
Speegs  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2024 3:42:24 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)

Also interested in knowing more about this. I've been testing OpenMPTCP and if that's not needed and there is a better way I'm all ears. Particularly if I don't have to carry another router around. First attempt with an Edgerouter X I had around working with OpenMPTCP but tops out at about 30mbit/s and the CPU on that very low spec router is not up to the task (so get a more powerful router if using OpenMPTCP). So have OpenMPTCP working, just awaiting delivery of a router that's a PC with an Intel N100 CPU, which should do much better.