logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Farles21  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 4:46:48 PM(UTC)
Farles21

Groups: Registered

Hi I am posting for my church that bought vmix for our recording and streaming messages. I am using windows 10 Pro on a computer bought from Dell specifically to stream and record. I am having just one issue every 10-30 minutes vMix will crash while I am streaming and/or recording, it will also crash if it is just sitting open (no inputs no streaming or recording) . When it crashes the program freezes for a few moments then it closes and restarts, sometimes the input cameras I had are still going sometimes it opens like I just started it,(no inputs just blank screens)
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall twice now but the issue remains, it is also fully updated as of 12-10-2017. I am only doing a facebook live stream (today I just streamed no recording) and when I record I am doing it in an mp4 format. No other programs are crashing but there aren't very many extra programs on here other than Movie Studio and Microsoft office suit.

The computer's specs are:
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v4 @ 3.5 GHz
16GB RAM
64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
AMD FirePro W4100 Graphics Adapter
SVSi Nseries audio device
realtek audio (recording device I don't know exaclty what it is)

We also have a Touchmix-30Pro sound board/mix board (sorry I don't know much about those but I am trying to learn)

When recording or streaming FPS: 30 Render time:2ms CPU vmix: 7-10% total 11-13%
When both recording and streaming the only change is the CPU vmix:9-11% Total 13-15%

I love using vMix the tutorials are great and easy to follow, but having it crash in the middle of a livestream or recording is a bit of a problem for us. Since it is just vMix that is having the issues I am wondering if there is a setting or particular bit of hardware that isn't compatible and maybe causing the issue so if I have to change something out I can do that. I have a bit of computer savvy (I can google things faster than others in the church) but am brand new to recording video so any help is appreciated.
NHT  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 5:46:19 PM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Farles I assume you've turned any kind of power saving like monitor off or disk/network off, off?
Farles21  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 6:02:17 PM(UTC)
Farles21

Yes I turned off all power saving options, nothing goes to sleep, monitor, drives, or computer. And the power settings are set for max performance.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:00:51 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Are you using multiple monitors?

Is Use Hardware Encoder checked/ticked in Streaming Settings when you have streamed?

Do you have an NVidia graphics card you could test in the system?
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:33:05 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I think the PC you bought to run vMix does not meet the specifications outlined by vMix in their Reference Systems: https://www.vmix.com/pro...-reference-systems.aspx. Key among those specs is the Nvidia video card.

Whoever advised you on the Dell purchase flat steered you wrong.

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
mjgraves on 12/12/2017(UTC)
admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:15:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4160 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

The symptoms described (vMix resetting, with inputs sometimes blank) are caused by the graphics card resetting itself.
This could be due to a faulty card, or a bad driver. You can try upgrading
with the latest drivers from AMD, failing that it may need to be replaced with a suitable NVIDIA card such as the GeForce 1060.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
NHT  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:18:43 AM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Bob makes a good point about the GFX card, I should've noticed that.

I don't know how hard you're pushing the card but I wouldn't consider that card for a vMix system, TBH I wouldn't touch an AMD card at all these days.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:59:11 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
There's a thread about some users having crashing issues with AMD Firepro W4100 in Dell T5810 workstations.

https://community.amd.com/thread/197764

Scroll down through the post where alternate drivers are mentioned for the Firepro.

The posts by NHT, Tom Sinclair, and Martin Sinclair confirm the Firepro being the culprit in this situation. Best to get the NVidia card, saving yourself time and having a system that has a recommended graphics card in it.
Farles21  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:57:31 PM(UTC)
Farles21

Thank you guys for the help. Looks like I am going to be getting a new video card.