logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dontpanic  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2024 7:15:06 PM(UTC)
dontpanic

Groups: Registered

We have a setup where we stream an MTB Race. Everything is IP-based with NDI converters for camera operators and a few PTZ cameras over NDI as well. Other than this, we also have 12 fixed Reolink IP cameras. Since we do not have a lot of staff for this event, this is a great way of adding more value for the viewers at the arena and YouTube. I was about to purchase vMix since I really like the workflow and PTZ support better than OBS. But when it comes to adding the IP cameras as sources, I reach 100% CPU pretty fast. In comparison with OBS, I never get above 20% CPU usage with all sources combined: 4 NDI converters, 4 PTZ (NDI), and 12 IP cameras over RTMP while streaming at 60fps to YouTube.

I have tried a lot of options within vMix, including VLC input both RTMP and RTSP, vMix input with RTSP over TCP and UDP. I reach 100% CPU usage with just adding the sources, no stream started or anything.

Is there something else I can test? Or is it just that vMix is poor at handling multiple RTSP streams?

My setup is:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Radeon RX Vega 8GB
32GB RAM
kross  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2024 6:32:07 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I believe vMix only uses CPU decoding for RTSP streams, not GPU decoding. And converting the RTSP streams to NDI on, say, a second computer wouldn't really be an option either, since 12 NDI streams will be too much for a 1 Gb ethernet connection.

Most IP cameras have settings on them to change what codec they use for encoding. Usual options are h.264, MPEG-4, and MJPEG. You can try setting up the cameras with different codecs and see if they give better CPU usage results, and if the video quality is acceptable.
kross  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2024 6:38:07 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
One other option that might be worth experimenting with, is using OBS as an RTSP to NDI converter on the same machine as vMix, since that won't send NDI over the network, so you won't need to worry about the bandwidth limitation.

In OBS, add each camera as a source, and enable NDI output for each one (so you'll have 12 NDI outputs). Then in vMix, add the NDI sources. Since OBS can decode the RTSP streams more efficiently than vMix, this might just work. It might still use too much CPU, but you never know until you try.

To enable NDI output per camera, you need to add the "dedicated NDI output" filter to the source in OBS.
dontpanic  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2024 11:47:37 PM(UTC)
dontpanic

Originally Posted by: kross Go to Quoted Post
One other option that might be worth experimenting with, is using OBS as an RTSP to NDI converter on the same machine as vMix, since that won't send NDI over the network, so you won't need to worry about the bandwidth limitation.

In OBS, add each camera as a source, and enable NDI output for each one (so you'll have 12 NDI outputs). Then in vMix, add the NDI sources. Since OBS can decode the RTSP streams more efficiently than vMix, this might just work. It might still use too much CPU, but you never know until you try.

To enable NDI output per camera, you need to add the "dedicated NDI output" filter to the source in OBS.

Thanks, great idea. I was also thinking of using another machine for OBS and using an HDMI output to my Elgato capture card on the Vmix machine. Then, in Vmix, somehow send HTTP commands to OBS every time I switch to a scene in Vmix to activate that scene in OBS and output the right camera.