logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
filmmaker75  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2024 9:04:11 PM(UTC)
filmmaker75

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. I have a slowdown and dropped frame issue with my system. I suspect it is a problem related to the PCI-E lines but I would like to understand if this is really the case and how to solve it, even by changing platforms. I hope someone in the forum can help me. My current configuration is this:

MB Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU Intel i7-8700K
RAM 32GB DDR4 (2x16)
GPU EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
SSD M2 500GB for O.S. (Windows 10)
SSD SATA 1TB for recording
CAPTURE CARD Decklink Duo 2

If I understand correctly, my CPU does not have enough PCI-E lines to support two acquisition cards in addition to the video card. I added the second Decklink card recently. As long as I only had one everything worked fine. The use is quite simple. 6 to 8 SDI cameras input in 1080p25 format. Some titles, some videos. a recording and a streaming. Sometimes it happens that I need to give a video output and I do it from the second HDMI port of the graphics card via "FULLSCREEN".
Can I solve it? Do I need to change the motherboard and CPU? How do I find the right combination that's right for me?
Thanks to anyone who can help me in any way.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2024 12:00:03 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: filmmaker75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. I have a slowdown and dropped frame issue with my system. I suspect it is a problem related to the PCI-E lines but I would like to understand if this is really the case and how to solve it, even by changing platforms. I hope someone in the forum can help me. My current configuration is this:

MB Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU Intel i7-8700K
RAM 32GB DDR4 (2x16)
GPU EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
SSD M2 500GB for O.S. (Windows 10)
SSD SATA 1TB for recording

If I understand correctly, my CPU does not have enough PCI-E lines to support two acquisition cards in addition to the video card. I added the second Decklink card recently. As long as I only had one everything worked fine. The use is quite simple. 6 to 8 SDI cameras input in 1080p25 format. Some titles, some videos. a recording and a streaming. Sometimes it happens that I need to give a video output and I do it from the second HDMI port of the graphics card via "FULLSCREEN".
Can I solve it? Do I need to change the motherboard and CPU? How do I find the right combination that's right for me?
Thanks to anyone who can help me in any way.

Hello. Have you enabled in vmix settings-->perfomance the "Show CPU/GPU alerts" and see when you have dropped frames and system slowdown if you have any message like "cpu/gpu overloaded"? Also you can see in vmix statistics button if your cameras start to drop frames. If i understand correctly in the gigabyte mb specs your mb for pci2/pci4 they run in 4x but from chipset lanes not cpu lanes. The duo 2 cards are 4x so in theory must be ok. If you want to possible free up some lanes for testing, try to load your windows in a sata ssd drive and see how it goes
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
filmmaker75 on 2/8/2024(UTC)
filmmaker75  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2024 12:56:04 AM(UTC)
filmmaker75

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. Have you enabled in vmix settings-->perfomance the "Show CPU/GPU alerts" and see when you have dropped frames and system slowdown if you have any message like "cpu/gpu overloaded"? Also you can see in vmix statistics button if your cameras start to drop frames. If i understand correctly in the gigabyte mb specs your mb for pci2/pci4 they run in 4x but from chipset lanes not cpu lanes. The duo 2 cards are 4x so in theory must be ok. If you want to possible free up some lanes for testing, try to load your windows in a sata ssd drive and see how it goes

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes, I have enabled alerts in vMix and the message GPU OVERLOAD appears. I try to remove the M2 and install the system on a SATA SSD. in this way, if I understood correctly, I should free 4 lines. At the end of the day, however, I'm limited. The Intel 8700k has 16 lanes and they are used for the GPU. So both Decklinks use chipset lines that are slower. I think I necessarily have to change platforms to use two capture cards. However I will test it and update the tread. Thank you.
filmmaker75  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 3:32:34 AM(UTC)
filmmaker75

HI. I tried removing the M2 SSD and installing the system on a SATA SSD. I connected 7 cameras to the SDI inputs of the decklinks, added 2 video calls, a video playlist, 3 subtitles, an MP4 recording, a YouTube streaming, an external Fullscreen HDMI output, a multicorder recorded camera, two web browsers with YouTube videos. .. and everything went smoothly for an hour and a half. Could it be that the M2 was occupying 4 lines and creating the problem? Now in Render Time it doesn't go above 14ms. Previously it even reached 60.
I will do further tests and simulations to be sure. I'll try to put the M2 back and do the double test. I will keep you updated. Thanks for now.
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 4:55:38 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: filmmaker75 Go to Quoted Post

HI. I tried removing the M2 SSD and installing the system on a SATA SSD. I connected 7 cameras to the SDI inputs of the decklinks, added 2 video calls, a video playlist, 3 subtitles, an MP4 recording, a YouTube streaming, an external Fullscreen HDMI output, a multicorder recorded camera, two web browsers with YouTube videos. .. and everything went smoothly for an hour and a half. Could it be that the M2 was occupying 4 lines and creating the problem? Now in Render Time it doesn't go above 14ms. Previously it even reached 60.
I will do further tests and simulations to be sure. I'll try to put the M2 back and do the double test. I will keep you updated. Thanks for now.

Maybe yes. When you say multicorder recorded camera,how many cameras do you multicorder? Im asking because i also have the 1060 gpu and if i make 2 cameras multicorder 1080i from 2 decklink mini recorders and 1 output in mp4 format,then for streaming it start to use cpu
filmmaker75  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 5:08:31 AM(UTC)
filmmaker75

Maybe yes. When you say multicorder recorded camera,how many cameras do you multicorder? Im asking because i also have the 1060 gpu and if i make 2 cameras multicorder 1080i from 2 decklink mini recorders and 1 output in mp4 format,then for streaming it start to use cpu

I tried recording a single camera with the multicorder but I don't usually use it. I have a habit of recording directly with cameras onto their SD cards.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 10:09:29 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ filmmaker75

Not sure if it has something to do with the configuration of the PCIe lanes on that MB:
https://www.gigabyte.com...rd/Z370-HD3-rev-10/sp#sp

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x4 (PCIEX4_1, PCIEX4_2)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

It is not clear which lanes are to the CPU and which are to the Chipset but it is an unusual configuration that might not work optimally for you with the hardware you have plugged in as mentioned in this video:

Ice