logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spinfold  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2024 6:44:13 AM(UTC)
spinfold

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just been playing with the latest beta after not touching it for a few months (since the Bus C bug).

It seems the only way to change the video or audio source going into the meeting is to disconnect the whole meeting, dumping everyone off, and then setup and start the meeting again, and then get everyone to connect again.

Given "normal" Zoom has the ability to select an audio and video source right from its UI, without even going into a settings dialogue, suggests this should be possible?

Our use case would be allowing other types of contributor to a show (in the studio, on vMixCall, etc) to have a conversation off-air with the Zoom callers. For this we need to be able to quickly select an audio bus which the Zoom call is receiving, and switch it back again quickly afterwards. Another example might be for IFB talkback from the studio.
Narcogen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 2:11:31 AM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think the intent is to choose one of vMix's available outputs, and then change what is sent to Zoom by changing what you send to that output.
spinfold  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 3:57:40 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Narcogen Go to Quoted Post
I think the intent is to choose one of vMix's available outputs, and then change what is sent to Zoom by changing what you send to that output.

That's normally good enough for video outputs. But for audio outputs, at least, I would expect the ability to change on the fly just as you can with vMixCall inputs.

There is no other way to have an off air conversation without this ability.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 6:01:48 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I certainly agree that it would be much better if one was able to change the return video AND audio feed for Zoom calls after the connection is made.

For now we use shortcuts and trigger to control an audio bus dedicated for the audio return to Zoom.

On a side note we will probably host the Zoom meeting on a separate tablet/PC for safety reasons. I learned the hard way a while ago that it is dangerous to be dependant on one single PC for both the video production and the Zoom management. Hosting Zoom meeting separately offers the additional benefit of being able to talk/listen to the meeting via the host device.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
spinfold on 1/9/2024(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 7:43:32 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Richard, using your appraoch of a separate PC for a Zoom meeting, how would that be different from the previous way of bringing Zoom guests in via second PC, via NDI, for example?

Just trying to understand your setup. Thanks.
spinfold  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 9:28:58 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mgrayeb Go to Quoted Post
Richard, using your appraoch of a separate PC for a Zoom meeting, how would that be different from the previous way of bringing Zoom guests in via second PC, via NDI, for example?

Just trying to understand your setup. Thanks.

My interpretation is that the host is on a separate laptop. So, on the laptop, start the meeting, then join in vMix as a guest (rather than host). That way, if the PC dies, you don't lose vmix AND the meeting, as the meeting is hosted by the laptop.

I presume (will test tomorrow when back at my machine) this means that you don't need to kill the entire meeting when changing video/audio source in vMix, as the host laptop continues hosting and the guests don't get disconnected. Then all you need to do is reconnect vMix as a guest again and reassign the other guests to inputs.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2024 10:58:49 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Originally Posted by: mgrayeb Go to Quoted Post
how would that be different from the previous way of bringing Zoom guests in via second PC, via NDI, for example?

Short answer: For venue productions I strive for compact and light equipment. With Zoom Inputs in vMix I don't need a second laptop to bring the guest speakers in. Even a mobile phone could host, and audio interact, with the Zoom meeting.

Longer explanation:

Having a secondary device hosting the meeting allows the production team to have a backchannel/green room solution via, for example, a headset connected to that device.

The pre v27 way to bring in multiple guests via NDI requires a relatively high powered Zoom PC, compared to just hosting a Zoom meeting. Furthermore, to get isolated audio one needs either an add-on app like ZoomISO, a cloud service like Epiphan Connect, or Zoom Rooms. With vMix 27 I can always add Zoom Inputs, even if I have not prepared/brought equipment for that. (I have not played with Epiphan Connect, which in addition requires extra network capacity).

My tests so far is that I can easily add four 720p30 Zoom inputs on our (gaming) laptops running vMix 1080p. A Zoom Room doing the same requires another (gaming) laptop, far bulkier than a mobile phone.

Besides the current topic's issue with return video and audio, participant selection in vMix 27 has currently some drawbacks compared to Zoom Rooms and ZoomISO. More about that in an upcoming Feature request I will post later.

JohnFoltz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 12:17:23 AM(UTC)
JohnFoltz

Using (v 27.0.0.58)-to bring in guests from Zoom calls

I created a few Zoom inputs and joined a Zoom call hosted on another computer. The video connects easily for both Zoom sources, but the audio fails to connect. The participants hear each other but vMix doesn't get their sound. I have the audio activated in the inputs.

I tried a different computer with a vMix instance, and it gives me the same result. I tried restarting vMix and rebooting the computers with no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks. What am I missin?
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 2:24:54 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

@JohnFolz, I am afraid your issue is off topic. I suggest you look at the troubleshooting advice at https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t31452-Zoom-failure
Narcogen  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 4:14:20 AM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: spinfold Go to Quoted Post

That's normally good enough for video outputs. But for audio outputs, at least, I would expect the ability to change on the fly just as you can with vMixCall inputs.

There is, depending on how you've set up the routing of devices to various audio busses.

I pick a bus to be used for outputs to various targets, then I use Companion to assign various sources to those busses.

So I'll make Output 4 an NDI output and assign it Bus G in vMIx.

Then, by adding or removing my microphone from Bus G, I can do talkback to Zoom guests. I can also make a button that, while held, puts my mic on that bus, takes that bus off master so it is not broadcast, and solos that bus so I'm hearing only that.
spinfold  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 4:38:47 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

There is, depending on how you've set up the routing of devices to various audio busses.

I pick a bus to be used for outputs to various targets, then I use Companion to assign various sources to those busses.

Then, by adding or removing my microphone from Bus G, I can do talkback to Zoom guests. I can also make a button that, while held, puts my mic on that bus, takes that bus off master so it is not broadcast, and solos that bus so I'm hearing only that.

Getting *your* microphone to a bus is easy. As you said, just assign Zoom to send Bus C, route other programme elements to Bus C, and when you want to use talkback, route your microphone to Bus C (and, if you like, take all programme elements temporarily off Bus C). Then revert on button release.

However, how do you get a Zoom contributor, an in-studio presenter on a microphone, and a vMixCall contributor to talk to each other during a show, eg when playing a VT?

(We do this by having a "Green Room" on Bus G, and route everyone who wants to conference there, both incoming and outgoing audio. When they're done, they come off Bus G and back onto Main to be broadcast. This method works for vMixCall because the outgoing audio source (that the contributor is listening to) can be easily switched. However, this is currently not possible with Zoom contributors - once you have selected the audio bus they're listening to, it cannot be changed without killing the entire meeting and booting everyone off it)
JackMortonAuditorium  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 3:55:13 AM(UTC)
JackMortonAuditorium

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Getting *your* microphone to a bus is easy. As you said, just assign Zoom to send Bus C, route other programme elements to Bus C, and when you want to use talkback, route your microphone to Bus C (and, if you like, take all programme elements temporarily off Bus C). Then revert on button release.

However, how do you get a Zoom contributor, an in-studio presenter on a microphone, and a vMixCall contributor to talk to each other during a show, eg when playing a VT?

(We do this by having a "Green Room" on Bus G, and route everyone who wants to conference there, both incoming and outgoing audio. When they're done, they come off Bus G and back onto Main to be broadcast. This method works for vMixCall because the outgoing audio source (that the contributor is listening to) can be easily switched. However, this is currently not possible with Zoom contributors - once you have selected the audio bus they're listening to, it cannot be changed without killing the entire meeting and booting everyone off it)

I leave the bus the remote is listening to the same, and take the other devices on or off that bus.

I also use G as my green room, and A for playback and B for mics, so I take people on or off live by either adding or removing their output from the appropriate bus, or moving the designated bus on or off master, but my remotes, whether they are vMix Call or Zoom, are always listening to G.
spinfold  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 7:50:13 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: JackMortonAuditorium Go to Quoted Post

I leave the bus the remote is listening to the same, and take the other devices on or off that bus.

I also use G as my green room, and A for playback and B for mics, so I take people on or off live by either adding or removing their output from the appropriate bus, or moving the designated bus on or off master, but my remotes, whether they are vMix Call or Zoom, are always listening to G.

I also use G as the green room audio.

Let's say we have a presenter in a studio, two vMixCall presenters and a Zoom presenter. I have a Streamdeck button for each (apart from Zoom, so far) which toggles them individually between listening to Output and talking to M, or listening to G and talking to G. This enables the two vMixCallers to speak to each other (on G) while the studio presenter is going to programme. Alternatively, the studio presenter and one of the vMixCallers could speak while the other vMixCaller is presenting.

As we are unable to change the audio bus going to Zoom once the meeting is setup, it is impossible for this to happen with Zoom presenters. I could set them up initially listening to G, and could toggle their *speaking* to G or M button, but they would always hear green room and never programme. I could route the programme elements also to G for them, but then the two vMixCallers cannot have an off air conversation because the programme feed would interrupt their off air conversation with each other.

I could have a dedicated bus just for Zoom (let's say bus F) but it would work differently to the other selections (would be changing audio channels going into the bus, rather than the audio permanently going into the bus and just changing which bus they hear) and would need two buttons, one to toggle their listen and one their speak. It would work, but it's not very elegant and means the workflow cannot be standardised across all sources.

Given that Zoom themselves allow changing of the audio source from a context menu directly in the UI of their app (without even going through a whole settings dialogue) I don't know what the issue would be.
Narcogen  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2024 3:37:56 AM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Let's say we have a presenter in a studio, two vMixCall presenters and a Zoom presenter. I have a Streamdeck button for each (apart from Zoom, so far) which toggles them individually between listening to Output and talking to M, or listening to G and talking to G. This enables the two vMixCallers to speak to each other (on G) while the studio presenter is going to programme. Alternatively, the studio presenter and one of the vMixCallers could speak while the other vMixCaller is presenting.

As we are unable to change the audio bus going to Zoom once the meeting is setup, it is impossible for this to happen with Zoom presenters. I could set them up initially listening to G, and could toggle their *speaking* to G or M button, but they would always hear green room and never programme. I could route the programme elements also to G for them, but then the two vMixCallers cannot have an off air conversation because the programme feed would interrupt their off air conversation with each other.

I could have a dedicated bus just for Zoom (let's say bus F) but it would work differently to the other selections (would be changing audio channels going into the bus, rather than the audio permanently going into the bus and just changing which bus they hear) and would need two buttons, one to toggle their listen and one their speak. It would work, but it's not very elegant and means the workflow cannot be standardised across all sources.

Given that Zoom themselves allow changing of the audio source from a context menu directly in the UI of their app (without even going through a whole settings dialogue) I don't know what the issue would be.

I'm guessing the issue is what while it can be done in the app, it is not exposed to the API.

Ultimately this is just a personal preference, I guess-- I already prefer to work where I'm dedicated a bus for this use and I take devices on and off it-- I don't necessarily need two button presses, I just need buttons that move multiple devices on and off the relevant bus to toggle talkback, and since I'm already used to working that way with vMixCall, changing to Zoom does not require me to change, so I'm just lucky in that respect. If your workflow depended on changing which source goes to Vmix Call, then that breaks for Zoom because we currently can't do it.

I'm speculating that it's not supported in the API because I think if it was they'd have already implemented it, since they do have that functionality for vMix Call.
spinfold  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2024 6:42:42 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

I'm guessing the issue is what while it can be done in the app, it is not exposed to the API.

Ultimately this is just a personal preference, I guess-- I already prefer to work where I'm dedicated a bus for this use and I take devices on and off it-- I don't necessarily need two button presses, I just need buttons that move multiple devices on and off the relevant bus to toggle talkback, and since I'm already used to working that way with vMixCall, changing to Zoom does not require me to change, so I'm just lucky in that respect. If your workflow depended on changing which source goes to Vmix Call, then that breaks for Zoom because we currently can't do it.

I'm speculating that it's not supported in the API because I think if it was they'd have already implemented it, since they do have that functionality for vMix Call.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it's not personal preference, it's necessary to do what we need to do (I think!)

You say you have a dedicated bus - let's say Bus G. To me, that means that you have all (up to) 8 vMixCall callers listening to Bus G all the time, and you then switch in and out which other audio sources (including other vMixCalls) are routed to Bus G. Is that correct?

If so, how do you as director/producer speak individually to one vMixCall without the other callers hearing you? The only way I can think of is to switch the bus to that one vMixCall.

Another scenario we need is the ability for one vMixCall caller to speak to another vMixCall caller, while a third vMixCall is speaking on air and the other 5 are listening to programme. Again, how is this possible without switching audio source to the various vMixCall inputs?
Narcogen  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2024 9:37:51 PM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it's not personal preference, it's necessary to do what we need to do (I think!)

You say you have a dedicated bus - let's say Bus G. To me, that means that you have all (up to) 8 vMixCall callers listening to Bus G all the time, and you then switch in and out which other audio sources (including other vMixCalls) are routed to Bus G. Is that correct?

If so, how do you as director/producer speak individually to one vMixCall without the other callers hearing you? The only way I can think of is to switch the bus to that one vMixCall.

That's what I'm getting at about Zoom, though. It makes sense for vMix to implement this feature for vMix Call because each call is individual. But no matter how many Zoom inputs you configure, you're only in one meeting; as far as I know, there's no way to talk to just one participant in the meeting, you're always just talking to the meeting, unless you're using the backstage functionality of a webinar, and even then, I think you're speaking to everyone who is backstage.

Another scenario we need is the ability for one vMixCall caller to speak to another vMixCall caller, while a third vMixCall is speaking on air and the other 5 are listening to programme. Again, how is this possible without switching audio source to the various vMixCall inputs?

It's not! But that won't be possible with Zoom even if vMix implements the feature you describe, because AFAIK Zoom doesn't have this functionality at all.

That is the backstage functionality in Webinar-- that's how Zoom implements this. But vMix isn't going to be able to make this work the way it can with vMix Calls, because whether you're speaking or appearing onstage or backstage in Zoom is based on where your account is. If you're one-manning a show and appearing in a Zoom webinar via Vmix, you can't be "onstage" providing program video and audio to webinar participants, and simultaneously be "backstage" doing off-air comms with future presenters. I think the presumption that underpins Zoom's design choice in this area is that events are first and foremost Zoom events, and everything else is secondary. A lot of our events are recorded, streamed, but also hybrid-- so the audience just isn't the target of vMix's program audio and video feed, but may be watching live on YouTube *or* spectating via Zoom.

So if you're only worried about vMix program audio/video as the audience, you're free to assign whatever outputs you want for each individual vMix Call participant, and route audio to and from a TD or between remotes as you describe, and as long as none of it goes to program, you're fine. But Zoom muxes all the audio in the cloud, so if you're in a meeting, there's no way to send audio to particular participant but not the others, and no way short of using the webinar backstage feature of sending audio that isn't going to the Zoom event's equivalent of "program".

I guess this is just a long way of saying that vMix Call was built to be a solution for both remotes coming on to program and to provide comms, whereas Zoom's design presumes it is a first class program output. If Zoom had a way, in the webinar backstage, of routing audio from one client to one or more clients without going onstage OR to the general backstage feed, then it'd be woth vMix implementing input device level changing for a Zoom input, but without that, it's not that missing feature that's stopping it from reaching feature parity with vMixCall, it's that Zoom assumes you have one big room, or at best, one big stage and one big backstage, whereas vMix Calls are isolated by design, and if you want one big backstage, you have to build it that way yourself.

I only hope that vMix's choice to implement Zoom the way they have doesn't mean they'll give up on vMix Call.