logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtynz1  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 10:30:19 AM(UTC)
mtynz1

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi All, it seems freezing of an NDI source is not uncommon but is universally irritating. I am hoping someone can save me some frustration here.

I have three to four NDI inputs into VMix, mixed into a 2x2 display. I am primarily using Kiloview U40 encoders being fed by Panasonic BGH-1 cameras. I am finding that occasionally the feed from one (sometimes both) encoders will freeze (as in the last frame is still shown). I have yet to determine a rhyme or reason for this, however lower resolutions seem so cause it less, but not prevent it altogether. If I power cycle the cameras so that the encoder 'no input' splash-screen comes up, the feed returns and everything is ok again.

It only seems to happen with the feed from these encoders, although they are providing the highest resolution feed. I also have an RSTP input which never has any problems. I also have a birdDog encoder which doesn't seem to do it, although I haven't used it so much as it does not have a pass-through network port and power (a great feature of the U40's!).

Does anyone have ideas on this one?

Cheers
mavik  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 9:05:09 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Ideas:
#1 Network
#2 PoE budget
#3 NIC overload
#4 firmware
#5 device heat issue
#6 switch

Birddog Dyno can help to understand. Otherwiese keep on monitoring the NIC/switch. Mirror the port and log traffic with wireshark.
mtynz1  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2023 9:44:56 AM(UTC)
mtynz1

New Zealand

Interestingly I have discovered that:
1. The problem occurs when running the client on the 1GbE wired network.
2. The problem occurs when running the client on a 1.2 gig wifi network (dedicated AP in close range).
3. When I connect the client by both the wired and wireless network the problem doesn't happen (at least got a full day without it presenting, where previously it'd happen with an hour or so).

Interestingly the total traffic is about 350 mb/s, when connected to both networks it splits it roughly evenly between the wired and wireless network. I don't know if this is the AP or the NDI protocol doing this as the wired network is piggy-backing off the AP.

Perhaps this points to a bandwidth issue, however it seems odd given the data stream is not utilising anywhere near capacity, and this network is temporarily setup and dedicated to the NDI feeds with a central 2.5 GbE switch and either CAT 5E or CAT 6 cabling. Thus I wonder if NDI somehow uses the two networks for redundancy? I'm on the verge of my knowledge here.

Keen to try out Dyno and see what it tells me.