logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TL68  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2022 8:49:24 PM(UTC)
TL68

Groups: Registered
Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi!
I´m getting old and I admit I am kind of an old school guy. Still driving a petrol powered car, enjoying a cold no frills lager in my glass (not while driving the previously mentioned car of course?), thinking my music sounds best played from an LP on my record player. And I like to run our companys master control room with separates.

But all you cool dudes out there seem to be moving to software based systems and maybe I should try to embrace all this coolness before I kick it.

I have been playing around with vMix in our test environment for a while now and color me impressed! I can definitely see us using this for shorter on site productions, off tube commenting, smaller control rooms and so on.

But we also run a couple of master control rooms for live broadcasting that need to be up and running 24/7/365. Current setup is based on hardware video mixerS, hardware encoders/decoders, separate CG system, separate replay system etc etc. A lot of humming boxes and wires as you can understand.
But it is VERY reliable and if one part fails the rest can work while fixing the issue. I also KNOW that our videomixer can handle 20 SDI inputs without stuttering one frame (not that we´re using them all at the same time but it feels good to know the exact capacity).

Putting everything into one powerful windows computer is of course very tempting (and good for the wallet). But is it reliable enough to deliver uptime all day all year around? I´m just worried that this can be a risky all-the-eggs-in-one-basket where for example a corrupt videofile may crash an entire production or a windows update will make us in a very bad mood.

I would really appreciate some honest input regarding the above rambling. Whats your experience? What are the pitfalls?

Cheers!

nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2022 9:49:18 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
My opinion for big productions is to use vmix as a help-backup-extra system and not as main system. For 20 sdi inputs you need a pc that will be a beast of cpu power and gpu power. if all these inputs are devices that cannot be networked (@connect them via ndi and here you`ll need of course to be sure of the maximum stabillity to have 10gig ethernet) or the price to do this is too much then is a no go to do everything in a pc/vmix system
In multiple vmix systems that you split the workflow dont problem.
The big advantage of sw based mixers is that give the illusion that have unlimited capabillities. For example vmix says 1000 inputs but of course you cant connect for example 50 cameras and 100 ndi sources at same time even it in theory supports it. Of course if you know that there are limits you can do many things
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
TL68 on 12/21/2022(UTC)
TL68  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2022 10:12:32 PM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
My opinion for big productions is to use vmix as a help-backup-extra system and not as main system. For 20 sdi inputs you need a pc that will be a beast of cpu power and gpu power. if all these inputs are devices that cannot be networked (@connect them via ndi and here you`ll need of course to be sure of the maximum stabillity to have 10gig ethernet) or the price to do this is too much then is a no go to do everything in a pc/vmix system
In multiple vmix systems that you split the workflow dont problem.
The big advantage of sw based mixers is that give the illusion that have unlimited capabillities. For example vmix says 1000 inputs but of course you cant connect for example 50 cameras and 100 ndi sources at same time even it in theory supports it. Of course if you know that there are limits you can do many things

Thanks for input!
As I posted we don´t use all of the 20 SDI:s. More realistically we run 4-5 SDI:s and one HDMI input. Output is one program SDI along with 2-3 SDI auxes for different purposes. We also use a couple of SDI:s for key/fill for graphics and the studio chroma. But some of those chores would be handled by vMix if replaced.
I could see some of those SDI inputs being replaced by NDI...

I think the challenge with VMix and such systems is to know it´s limits "on paper" to be able to plan setup. We cannot afford too much trial and error :-)
Peter Berglund  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 12:03:54 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

I have been using vMix for several years now and done hundreds of live events - without ANY issues at all. Nothing related to vMix anyway. I would say it is very reliable platform.

A typical setup:
  • Xeon or i9, 64GB RAM, RTX2080(11GB) or RTX3090(24GB)
  • 1080-25p productions
  • Two 4K HDMI cams (BMD interface)
  • Two 2K HDMI cams (BMD interface)
  • Two 2K NDI(HX) PTZ cams
  • One 2K NDI(HX) cam
  • One 2K NDI(HX) HDMI in from PC
  • One ATEM mini as HDMI switcher for PC sources (BMD interface)
  • One 2K HDMI rendered output (BMD interface)
  • Two NDI outputs
  • Guest speakers via vMix call or MS Teams (NDI)
  • YouTube and/or MS Stream 1080p
  • Dante
  • Skaarhoj panels
  • APC 40 midi
thanks 2 users thanked Peter Berglund for this useful post.
TL68 on 12/21/2022(UTC), nikosman88 on 12/21/2022(UTC)
paco3346  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 12:40:41 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I have mixed feelings about it broadcast-grade usability but I lean toward it being a pretty good option for most places.

I've used vMix since 2013 so I've had the pleasure of seeing it add more features and become more stable. Outside of occasional frame drops when running 4k@59.94 (on an RTXA6000 no less) it's dependable and stable.

The biggest struggle you'll have is with I/O. Only having 2 hardware outputs (with latency) is a tough pill to swallow if you're trying to replace a hardware mixer.

When not doing IMAG I've never had a problem- it has done everything I ask. For small IMAG events (single operator, 1-4 cameras) it works pretty well.

In a large setup, I recommend pairing it with a hardware mixer/router.

I used to run vMix 24/7 for on-campus slides/announcements and found that as long as your drivers were stable (early BMD was a gamble) it would run forever.
thanks 2 users thanked paco3346 for this useful post.
TL68 on 12/21/2022(UTC), nikosman88 on 12/21/2022(UTC)