logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scareacon  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 2:05:42 AM(UTC)
scareacon

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a radio background so maybe I am not thinking about this clearly, but how do I use an external mixer to bring in audio elements such as music, telephone callers, and my microphone - without creating an audio loop problem. I understand the mix minus concept, but since the remote guests/hosts in Vmix Call need to hear all of the elements EXCEPT their own audio, but the master audio out in Vmix needs to have ALL of the elements, I am not sure how to do this. I'm hoping that someone has already figured out the proper routing and can guide me. Thanks.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 4:57:44 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
There is already an enormous amount of litterature about this subject in the forum and the Knowledge Base as well as the manual obviously...

Maybe you should start by checking the tutorial videos of vMix YouTube channel here : https://www.youtube.com/c/vMixhd/playlists
scareacon  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 11:48:53 AM(UTC)
scareacon

United States

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
There is already an enormous amount of litterature about this subject in the forum and the Knowledge Base as well as the manual obviously...

Maybe you should start by checking the tutorial videos of vMix YouTube channel here : https://www.youtube.com/c/vMixhd/playlists

Thanks for the reply. I have scoured these sources and nothing discusses the level of detail, and the specific issues that I am trying to resolve.
WaltG  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2020 7:23:32 AM(UTC)
WaltG

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The thing with this is that you're limited by the capacities of your mixer.

Your mixer takes multiple sources and combines them into 1 (or more, depending on the mixer's capabilities--but it still combines the sources).

If you then feed that combination into vMix as the single source that it is, there's nothing vMix can do with it except use it or not use it.

What you described:

Quote:
use an external mixer to bring in audio elements such as music, telephone callers, and my microphone

won't create feedback in vMix as you described it. What would create Feedback is if you're feeding your vMix output into your mixer then feeding all of it back into vMix. Which, again, comes down to the capacity of the mixer.

If that is what you're doing, and your mixer has separate buses, you need to use them. If that's what you're doing and your mixer doesn't have separate buses, then that's your problem, and the only way to solve it is to change your setup.

If that's not what you're doing, then you shouldn't be having feedback problems, because

Non-Computer Audio (telephone, external music device, microphone) --> Mixer --> Computer --> vMix --> vMix Call

doesn't have room for feedback, because nothing is being fed back into a source it came through, so you'd need to be a lot more specific for anyone to even hope to identify the problem.
Darryl  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2020 1:13:05 PM(UTC)
Darryl

Australia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Walt,

I use an external mixer regularly with vMix, and I can't find a lot either about external mixers even though there is a lot about Audio inputs and the VMx mixer. What mixer are you using? That has a big bearing or how you set it up. I regularly use a Behringer XR16 or an Allen & Heath SQ7. You mention routing so I presume you are on a digital mixer. You must set up multiple busses on the mixer, and probably in the vMix mixer as well. If you are taking the call audio in through your mixer, then you need to setup a buss for the return audio which does not include the caller. I set up the audio for an OBS system last year for someone else who had telephone callers and vMIx call is definitely a lot easier to set up. We endup up using 4 busses. One for the studio. One for recording. One for the stream output, and one as return audio for the caller. Doing this on the mixer allowed us to set different levels on each channel in each bus. As far as I can see vMix only allows you to turn individual channels on or off in each bus, and once they are on they all have the same level. In the phone return audio bus, the callers audio channel was taken out but left in the other channels. Similar thing for the studio buss but it was the presenter's channel that was taken out. The record and stream busses had all the output channels, but at levels appropriate to each. I think we also had the producer's channel in the Studio bus and the Phone return bus. The studio bus was sent to IEM'S worn by the presenter so that it didn't overflow unto the studio mic.

If you are using vMix Call then a lot of these complexities are handled automatically, but you would have the logistics issues of getting people to swap a phone for a browser, and vMix Call is really designed for guests to connect, rather than the viewing audience to phone in with questions and/or comments. vMix handles that situation very well with the Social Media features, but that is text, not audio.

Hope this helps,
Darryl.
DaveT  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 2:49:22 AM(UTC)
DaveT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Dante is your friend.

Need a mixer with a Dante module (e.g. on a Behringer X32 or Allen & Heath SQ5/6/7).

On the PC, you can get a Dante card ($$$) or try installing Danta Virtual Soundcard (will need a spare ethernet port...USB to ethernet adapter works, too).

All mics on set just go through the mixer. Sound effects, etc, too. Basically anything external.

You can then send all this out as one mix or as several separate feeds into VMIX via Dante. You setup the routing, and bring in as many audio inputs into vmix as you need.

If you need to EQ calls or assets and want to do it through the mixer, you can send them out through the buses into the Dante network although the processing will cause a slight audio delay and you can't delay video assets or calls (the video) in VMIX. We'll do some trickery in some of these cases, but it's a pain and takes multiple computer systems to achieve. Also, the max number of channels you can send out of vmix is limited to the master and number of buses (I believe 7?).