logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowby  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 5:15:07 PM(UTC)
rowby

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I know vMix has its built in audio meters, where we can see the audio levels.

And I have the Ipad Surface app which also shows meters and their levels.

But I want to pay better attention to my audio mixes. So I guess I am looking for an external USB based audio mixer that shows audio levels. Windows 7.

I don't want just knobs and sliders -- I want to see a visual representation of the audio levels -- so I can know if the audio is just right.

I don't need anything "fancy" -- maybe about 12 (or more) audio levels tops.

All of the hardware solutions I see on amazon "just" have knobs and sliders. Maybe I am not doing the best search.

Thanks
Rowby

SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 7:27:13 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Rowby,

Not a hardware solution, but a software one that will work with Win7. If Martin and Michael give it a thumbs up it's good.

zenvideo wrote:
mjgraves wrote:
You might consider installing the Wide Range Audio Meters from Darkwood Designs. They're inexpensive and they include a phase meter, which will show if you have phase problems.
https://www.mgraves.org/...wide-range-audio-meters/

I can certainly endorse the software audio meters from Paul at Darkwood Designs. Given my TV background, I particularly like the BBC-style PPMs, but they're all good meters.

rowby  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 7:38:37 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Thanks SportsNetUSA and mgraves,

This multi-meter one looks good http://www.darkwooddesigns.co.uk/pc2/Multi.html Multi meters.

I'm putting this on my short list.

Checking for any other suggestions.

Rowby
thanks 1 user thanked rowby for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 3/26/2018(UTC)
JW  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:09:17 AM(UTC)
JW

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
These are awesome VU meters.
I use them also to get a realtime indication without the latency of vmix and they are a lot smoother than the vMix ones.
thanks 1 user thanked JW for this useful post.
rowby on 3/25/2018(UTC)
rowby  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:20:50 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Hi

I bought the multilevel meter.

I haven’t tried it yet. Can it handle the audio native to a vMix production? For example, I can see where it could monitor an en external microphone or the webcam microphone. But can it show the levels of a mp3 in a vMix audio output or the audio in a vMix Call?

In other words is there a way for the multilevel meter to show the levels of all vMix’s individual audio outputs.

Thanks

Rowby
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:00:20 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
rowby wrote:
...I can see where it could monitor an en external microphone or the webcam microphone. But can it show the levels of a mp3 in a vMix audio output or the audio in a vMix Call?
In other words is there a way for the multilevel meter to show the levels of all vMix’s individual audio outputs.

The Darkwood meters monitor the levels of Windows Recording devices, so to use the vMix outputs (Main, A, B, Headphones) you would need to feed those to something like the "virtual audio cables" which effectively take an output (as a virtual Playback Device)and make it available as an input (as a virtual Recording Device). If you have a Realtek audio chip in our PC, then you can usually use the Stereo Mix device to perform this task for one output group, but if you want to meter Main, A-bus & B-bus then you'll need something more than that.

Of course you can also obtain these various vMix audio bus outputs as individual NDI streams, which may be of use in some way (perhaps more in the future?). I did write to Paul at Darkwood to suggest he might like to include NDI support but I don't think he's looking to add anything new. There's an audio meter in my NDI NoAudioMeter application and I also have an 8-channel NDI audio meter (for checking NDI audio levels), so it's a pity that vMix doesn't include all the audio busses in a single NDI stream, which is perfectly feasible and has the advantage that all the channels within that stream are inherently in phase, which is not so easy to guarantee when receiving multiple NDI audio streams.
thanks 2 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
rowby on 3/25/2018(UTC), SportsNetUSA.net on 3/26/2018(UTC)
JazzyJ  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 2:33:07 AM(UTC)
JazzyJ

United Kingdom

I know this is an old thread! But I'm looking for 3rd party software that shows the 'USB Audio Interface Input Levels' - (Not windows built in Mic ones!). Does anything exist apart from buying an entire DAW?
zenvideo  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 3:06:58 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JazzyJ Go to Quoted Post
I know this is an old thread! But I'm looking for 3rd party software that shows the 'USB Audio Interface Input Levels' - (Not windows built in Mic ones!). Does anything exist apart from buying an entire DAW?

Have you tried any of the Darkwood meters? They will let you select any audio input device (that shows in the Windows list of Record devices) as the meter source.
That can include USB audio sources, as shown in the attached pic of the Dual PPMs in which the audio sources from a Magewell USB Capture device are included in the list of available sources, and it's the same for the other meters in the range (if you don't like BBC-style PPMs).

PPM-InputDevices.PNG (138kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
JazzyJ  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 8:38:11 AM(UTC)
JazzyJ

United Kingdom

Thanks, will give it a try..