logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ninbura  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2024 11:01:45 AM(UTC)
ninbura

Groups: Registered
United States

Long time OBS user, been meaning to look into vMix for a while.

Seems like it would really suit my workflow. I use OBS to composite sources, and then use OBS Virtual Camera to pipe the output to other applications (mainly FFmpeg). This works okay, but I'm limited to one virtual camera and OBS's composite process introduces stutters into my feed. vMix seems like a great alternative, but I'm immediately met with a seemingly insurmountable challenge.

My main source has a signal spec of 3440x1440@100Hz. My capture system hooks this signal via a capture card. It would seem that the "Camera" source is how I get my capture card into vMix. It would also seem that the camera source is the only video based source with canned resolution options... the resolution/framerate combination I need is simply not listed. The app clearly knows what resolution/framerate option I need to select via an error, but gives me no method of selecting it.
vMix capture resolution error

I can hook the same signal using NDI (3440x1440@100Hz), so it's not like vMix is incapable of handling such a resolution. I assume direct screen capture would work fine as well if vMix was running on the source PC. NDI isn't really a suitable replacement, as it's of a much lower quality when compared the feed that my capture card provides. I'm a bit confused by the concept of having canned resolution/framerate combinations for capture card input sources. There's limitless resolution/framerate combinations depending on the source device. Other applications like OBS & FFmpeg allow you to select any available combination per the capture card; determined by the connected source.

Am I missing something here?