logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TurboUK  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 3:17:13 AM(UTC)
TurboUK

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys, I would really appreciate some help and feedback on my issue please.

I am looking at a new Desktop build for a vMix/Editing desktop PC, but after watching the vMix videos, reading through the site and going through many specs of motherboards, I am simply at a loss.

I am planning on a 14th Gen i9 14900k CPU, 2 x 32GB DDR5 ram, 3060ti (I have this currently so will upgrade in the future), 3 x M.2 Samsung drives. I will also be installing a Blackmagic Decklink Quad HMDI card. My first focus is on the vMix specs, then on editing.

I am in need of a motherboard that has at least 2 x 16 PCIe slots that both run directly to the CPU, and if I can get 10gb ethernet and WiFi 6E/WiFi 7 all the better. But the PCIe slots are the most important. And also to have one of those M.2 drives running to the CPU as well without sharing the PCIe x 16 slot lanes. The other M.2 drives can go to the chipset.

The rest of the build I can work out, but I need to get the Motherboard correct.

Any suggestions to a motherboard that can nail this spec or close to it I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
thanks 1 user thanked TurboUK for this useful post.
AuditorRSTO on 1/15/2024(UTC)
TCPHX  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 3:50:57 PM(UTC)
TCPHX

United States

Have you looked into the Asus ProArt?
ProArt?
TurboUK  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2024 10:51:43 PM(UTC)
TurboUK

United Kingdom

Thanks TCPHX, I'll check that one out. vMix support have come back to me as well to look at the ASUS Maximus Z790 range to start with, so I can now look into these which is a great help. Once I have found one I'm happy with I'll post it here.
TurboUK  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 7:25:13 PM(UTC)
TurboUK

United Kingdom

Here's the build I have settled on in the end. It's for vMix but also an editing PC.

CASE : Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 Black (NO RGB, needed 2 front drive bays)
MOTHERBOARD : Asus ROG Maximus z790 Apex Encore
CPU : Intel Core i9 14900K 24 Cores 6.0GHz
CPU COOLER : Be Quiet! BK037 Dark Rock Elite Heatsink & Fan (System gets moved around weekly so didn't want water cooling)
RAM : Kingston FURY Beast 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000Mhz DDR5
PSU : Corsair HX1000i 1000w 80+ Titanium
M.2 : Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (System files)
M.2 : Samsung 990 PRO 2TB (vMix reply)
M.2 : Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (vMix program Recordings & general editing) - From old system
M.2 : Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (vMix files) - From old system
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 8TB Sata : Storage
GPU : 3060ti 8GB - From old system (Will be upgraded in the future)
Capture Card : Blackmagic Decklink Quad HDMI

I'll update in the future once it is has the hours in use for my thoughts.
decryption  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2024 8:32:18 AM(UTC)
decryption

Australia

I'm also attempting to build a vMix live production rig that'll handle a Quad Decklink and an RTX4060. This means I need a mainboard that has a 16x slot that works at 16x and another slot that operates at 8x. This is incredibly difficult to find on brand new boards.

A common setup is multiple 16x slots, but only one has 16x lanes and the rest are 4x lanes. Another less common but still available on higher end Z790 Intel or X670 AMD boards are two 16x PCIe 4.0 slots, but they can be configured to operate at 8x - which I think should be fine as the RTX4060 isn't going to hit any bandwidth limits at PCIe 4.0 8x. Problem is, that also takes out one of the M.2 SSD slots (usually the 3rd or 4th SSD slot).

If you look for boards with Crossfire/SLI support, or boards with at least three 16x slots, that'll make finding one that'll do 8x/8x easier.

I also want at least two PCIe 4.0 4x lanes for my SSDs, so need a CPU that has at least 24x PCIe lanes all up to accommodate 16x for the GPU and 8x for the Decklink.

Ryzen 7000 series CPUs have 28x lanes (4x for chipset, so 24x spare), whereas the 14th-gen Intel CPUs only have 20x lanes (1x 16 +4 or 2x 8 +4). So if you're going for maximum PCIe lanes, you probably want to get a Ryzen 7000 series CPU, not an Intel. You can hook up SSDs to the PCIe lanes on the chipset (usually get an extra x4 or x8 lanes) too and apparently there's not much, if any, performance hit.

The other option (which might be cheaper all up) is using a refurbished workstation like from Lenovo/Dell/HP off eBay or Facebook Marketplace. They are "only" PCIe 3.0, but have dual full PCIe 16x slots and even dual CPUs with heaps of cores. Just gotta be careful you get one with a PSU that'll handle an GPU with 8-pin power, some of the lower-end spec workstations don't have any PCIe power plugs!
TurboUK  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 10:23:31 PM(UTC)
TurboUK

United Kingdom

That's some good thoughts there. I'm not too technically knowledgeable, but I have been advised that running the GPU on 8x lanes is fine. The really important one as we know is the Decklink Capture card lanes as well.

I have tweaked slightly to the above spec as going with the 990 500gb for system files, 990 2t for replay, 980 500gb for general editing and now SSD EVO for vMix files as I already have that setup, meaning I can leave the other M.2 in the old machine as that has the system on it already for that system. This would mean a total of 3 x m.2 drives, 1 x SSD and 1 x Sata. Not sure yet, but am thinking of not using the top M.2 so it doesn't take away lanes from the GPU or Capture, but having the 3 M.2's go through the chipset instead.

Having already purchased my components I'm locked in now, but will share thoughts every now and then that might be of benefit for others in the future.