logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2023 5:36:33 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Original sound is a very welcome feature (thanks!). But the release note, and the help file, do not mention anything about Echo cancellation. We would like to be able to turn it off, as we are typically taking care of potential echo elsewhere.

[EDIT, added the below together with a slight change to the Subject]
Also, it is not logical being able to alter this setting per Zoom Input, as there is only one and the same audio returned to all participants in the meeting. In my humble view, it should with the current Zoom Setup/Manage scheme be controlled in the Zoom Manager Window.
vMix_Dave  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 7:52:25 AM(UTC)
vMix_Dave

Switzerland

I agree that turning off echo cancellation is a welcome feature. In my experience, there are often situations where the Zoom guest can hear themselves through the on-site microphones. If the audio technician doesn't adjust/mute the audio source sent to Zoom every time the Zoom guest speaks or implement a ducking function, the Zoom guest will hear themselves with an unpleasant delay.

While the "Original Sound" feature significantly improves audio quality, I don't find the integrated echo cancellation in Zoom to be a major impairment to the audio signal. With echo cancellation enabled, the audio technician doesn't need to worry about it anymore.

Therefore, an "Echo Cancellation On/Off" option (of course, in the Zoom setup, not in the input settings, as Richardgatarski rightly mentioned) would be another highlight for this new vMix version.
roverradio  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 11:58:34 AM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Echo Cancellation was turned off in latest beta when in Original Sound mode. This is much improved. In our use-case, we have a lot of bumper music etc. that hosts talk over. The return audio vMix would competely cut the return audio (so remote hosts wouldn't hear bumper music if they were speaking).

Latest beta fixed the issue.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 9:18:30 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I agree, it is much improved. And appreciated :D

But, as per Zoom's KB about Original sound option for Windows/MacOS one can choose to turn on/off these three options individually:
  • High-fidelity music mode
  • Echo cancellation
  • Stereo audio

Ideally this flexibility would be the same in vMix. If nothing else for finding out which options works best in a particular setting. Sometimes we are uninterested in HiFi and Stereo, only wanting to turn Echo cancellation off.

I noticed that in beta 27.0.0.52 this option is still managed on all Zoom Inputs. Changing it on one Zoom Input does not affect any other Zoom Input.

Thanks.

/r

thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
Ned.Zeppelin on 1/6/2024(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2023 3:33:51 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I am really happy that v27.0.0.58 beta is "close to release" :D

But, the issue/bug related to the Meeting settings "Original sound for musicians" is still there.

If I have more than one Zoom Input, turning this setting on or off for one of the Inputs does not propagate its setting to the other inputs. This makes it impossible for us to know if Original sound for musicians is enabled or not, hence virtually useless. (Unless one for example plays some music and checks if it is heard in the meeting or not).

I still think this setting would fit better in the Zoom manager window, as to my best knowledge it can be turned on and off during an active meeting.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year!

/richard
Ned.Zeppelin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2024 5:09:17 AM(UTC)
Ned.Zeppelin

United States

So, should I avoid downloading and trying the Beta with my Zoom drum students until after the Original Sound for Musicians issue(s) member richardgatarski brings up are fixed?

I'd really appreciate it if you awesome vMix devs would fix the Original Sound for Musicians bug found by richardgatarski . My students and I currently must turn on Original Sound For Musicians in the actual Zoom app to be able to function in our drum lessons. Otherwise Zoom interprets our drumming as background noise and eliminates it! We also turn on echo cancellation in the Original Sound for Musicians section with no ill effects even though I've also taken care of that upstream in my various settings.

Thanks so much for building this Zoom plugin. My graphics card will be so relieved!!! (I've been running vMix & Zoom simultaneously and using vMix's "External" for 7 months for my in-lesson camera switching, etc. Using them together trips lots of video card utilization alerts in vMix which is in 4K and of course Zoom is not.

So, I'm really excited to try this when it's ready

Thanks, Ned :)