logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2023 2:44:08 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
EDIT: I have changed the subject of this topic so it better describes the discussion.

First of all, huge thanks to the vMix team for implementing a Zoom functionality! <3 <3 <3 - I am very much aware of all the extra work you have put in in order to implement this extremely complex development. And I will happily pay to upgrade my licenses.

My concern here implies perhaps a tad more than a "small tweak" to the new (wonderful) Zoom integration. But, after playing a little with Zoom in vMix I cannot see the point in setting up the Zoom meeting stuff via an Input. In particular when I see four Inputs all displaying "Connecting..." in red. When in fact perhaps only one is actually connecting.

During my initial tests I have collected a small list of issues found between "Setting up Zoom Input" and "Assigning participants to each input". Before I post them, I felt it was important to address an underlying problem. Which is the mixing up of "Setting up", "Connecting", and "Assigning". I think a similar challenge was beautifully solved in the Streamer.

Why can't we insted have a the feature "Zoom", next to "PlayList", in the Footer bar?

In my wildest dream I would then be able to prepare (in a Preset) a number of Zoom meetings, of which I at any time can select one and connect to it. In the current beta I cannot even set up for a meeting, without also connecting to it. Actually, clicking "OK" in the Zoom setup Window rather connects to the Meeting.

Does anyone understand my thinking. Or, is it I who have not thought this through?
WaltG12  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2023 6:09:36 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'd second this if it were accompanied by the shortcuts present for Playlist, etc.

Since the Zoom meeting is vMix system wide, not input specific, this does make a lot of sense.

And this would, I would hope, be a precursor to not just being able to save credentials to various meetings, but also to getting vMix shortcuts (like with Playlists) to not only select a specific meeting, but also start (connect) and stop (disconnect), along with (as you also mentioned) that handy visual indicator in the footer that turns red when enabled and dark gray when not.

While I know that may not all happen in this production cycle, I think it'd be a great start to going down that road, which is how I personally would love to see it go.

I'd further suggest, if this is implemented, that Zoom inputs be added via the same menu that allows you to add Mix inputs and the Output/Preview inputs, as well as be added to the "AddInput" shortcut, so that everything is still intuitive, by keeping the inputs with the inputs by the core meeting itself separate, since it is separate & system wide.

admin  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2023 1:45:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4174 time(s) in 1498 post(s)
There is no room for any further buttons in the status bar area on many displays.
Besides this would be inconsistent with every other input that is always configured from the input itself.

As all Zoom inputs can only be part of a single meeting, them all connecting at the same time is consistent with this requirement.

I would suggest reviewing the documentation, as this is generally explained there.

As for setting up, you can setup the meeting and it will connect at that time to make sure it all works. Then you can disconnect and those settings can be saved in a preset and will be
remembered for when you plan to go live.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 11/8/2023(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 1:31:11 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

My way of thinking is of course influenced by the modus of operandi using vMix with Zoom or Zoom Rooms on a second machine for a few years. Perhaps I have to unlearn, and I am willing to do so if necessary. The thing is that Zoom in vMix seems to me operate in a similar fashion that I have become used to. Except implemented rather differently.

After your valuable feedback, and more thinking on my side, I would like to share my slightly revised ideas.

A Zoom meeting always has to be scheduled and started, or joined. That is done in the Zoom app (compare vMix's Zoom plugin). This has in my view nothing to do with Inputs.

Earlier (before v27) I have added NDI Inputs to be used to get streams from Zoom, and assigned outputs to be sent to Zoom, typically long before the Zoom event is set up. Least started. Main points are:

- I can prepare my Preset without being dependent on a Zoom meeting actually running.
- I can, for test purposes, start/end/crash meetings without fiddling with the Inputs/Output
- I can easily use the same Preset/Setting combo for different Zoom meetings (ID:s)

vMix cannot setup a Zoom Meeting. It can Host (start a scheduled meeting) or Join (a running meeting). Therefore, the "Zoom setup" window is somewhat misleading. I would prefer having a way to setup one of more Zoom Profiles. And then be able to (dis)connect vMix (from)to one of those profiles. I typically setup a test meeting, different from the one to be used live. Compare setting up Streaming Profiles and later select which one to start or stop.

Whenever vMix is connected to a Zoom meeting all Zoom inputs can (re)establish their feeds. Zoom Input specific properties like Participant Source, Source Type, Max Resolution, and Audio Source might very well be altered whether the feed is established or not.

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
There is no room for any further buttons in the status bar area on many displays.
Where outside the Input (Footer bar) is not important. The Hamburger menu might be an alternative?

Besides this would be inconsistent with every other input that is always configured from the input itself.
To me the current Zoom Input is not very consistent with all other Inputs. Disconnecting one disconnects all is rather unique. I can select "Connect" in one, but all are connected (if successful).

As all Zoom inputs can only be part of a single meeting, them all connecting at the same time is consistent with this requirement.
I would suggest reviewing the documentation, as this is generally explained there.
I apologize for being unclear earlier. I meant being able to choose to connect to one of a number of predefined meetings, as I now have hopefully explained above.

As for setting up, you can setup the meeting and it will connect at that time to make sure it all works. Then you can disconnect and those settings can be saved in a preset and will be remembered for when you plan to go live.
Of course one always have to connect at least once to make sure that everything works. I am not convinced though, that one must do this when the Inputs are created. For example, because one need those Inputs to use them in different X-Up Input layers.

admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 1:52:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I guess then the main requirement can be solved by having a "Save for later" button in the Zoom setup window, so you can save the details entered without
actually connecting to a meeting at the time.

However, I still believe this is problematic as vMix can't verify the details are connect without actually trying to connect to the meeting.
WaltG12  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 5:42:00 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I guess then the main requirement can be solved by having a "Save for later" button in the Zoom setup window, so you can save the details entered without
actually connecting to a meeting at the time.

I’d add the request that it be accompanied by vMix shortcuts, just as with things like Playlists, to recall/connect to the meeting and disconnect from the metering.

This would extremely helpful when you have multiple different recurring meetings—you could then cue up the correct one via script instead of having to do so manually or create different, otherwise identical, presets for each meeting & keep each of them updated as workflows change.

However, I still believe this is problematic as vMix can't verify the details are connect without actually trying to connect to the meeting.

With the full fledged Zoom app, I join meetings my modifying the link that Zoom provides to fit their zoommtg:// protocol and add it to my Stream Deck.

At the time I do so, I manually test it to make sure that I’ve modified it properly as the zoommtg:// protocol link isn’t 1:1 with the https:// protocol link.

vMix users could manually do the same when they add the meeting to vMix or simply hope that they entered everything correctly and take the risk, come production time.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 5:59:22 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Understandable indeed. Perhaps I am naive, being ignorant about how the API/SDK between vMix and Zoom works. Can´t help thinking though that I will not actually know if a SRT Input works before it is connected. And I guess the same thing applies for Call Inputs. True. NDI Inputs can´t be added without having at least NDI source available. That´s not more than annoying, and the fix is ease cause there are always some out there.

I suspect that it is perhaps impossible to prepare a "Zoom profile" without at least one Zoom Input to tie up the Connection. If so, that Input could be automatically added if none exists.

I am changing the title of this topic to better reflect what it is about.
admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 12:04:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Just to clarify, you can add as many Zoom inputs as you like without setting them up or connecting to the meeting, so you can prepare layouts etc.
That is already how it works.

It is only the connecting to the actual meeting that you can bring up the Setup window later. And then once connected
assign all the participants through the right click menu. At that point it only takes a few minutes to setup as everything else is already done.