logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djones02  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 7:51:01 AM(UTC)
djones02

Groups: Registered
Canada

I'm wonder if it's possible to add a custom transition similar to how swipes and cubezooms work.
Not a stinger animation covering up a transition.

For example here are some neat transitions that I would like to use and wondering if instead of having the flat edge of a swipe it would be wavy or diamond or whatever pattern your image is.

vfx.productioncrate.com

Another way of explaining it would be that the current live input would use the alhpa channel or background and the incoming input would be displayed using the green layer.
Also check out the latest PowerPoint slide transitions, they are amazing.
jdeaver0  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2021 5:37:30 AM(UTC)
jdeaver0

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So you got me curious...It's tedious, but it can be done in a creative work around.....

It involves using either two outputs, or an output and a mix bus.

Make a video starting in a solid color that will work for your show as a luma/chroma key that then transitions to Alpha using your custom transition.
The solid color you Key will be where program lives, and the alpha reveals preview.

Bring your video in as an input (lets call this input 1)

Assign an output to preview, and then create an NDI input of same output (lets call this input 2). In this input assign the video(input 1) to the multi-overlay. It will cover "preview" and reveal it as the alpha transitions in the video.

You now need an input that is the rendered version of input 2 (because you can only key on the main layer). You can either do this with an output and NDI input the same we did to pull preview in, or a mix input. (Lets call this input 3). Do the appropriate chroma/luma key to remove the solid color of the video on input 3. Where it gets tricky, is your key will have an effect on what is being revealed, so it needs to be something that won't key out your content during the transition as well....If you don't understand, start playing with it and you'll see what I mean.

The result is Input 3 ends up with an alpha channel that transitions to preview via what was originally alpha channel in input 1. Input 2 replaces the original alpha channel with preview. You can then use input 3 as the input for a stinger. Set the cut point for the length of your original video (input 1). I also ended up putting triggers on Input 3. One that plays Input 1 on overlayIn as well as one that restarts input 1 after a small delay on OverlayOut.

Probably not realistic to do on most shows, but was a fun experiment none the less.
gzifcak  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2022 7:25:06 AM(UTC)
gzifcak

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for detailing this, very helpful!

I found a way that prevents the key from messing with the video input: on the NDI loopback of the Preview output, set the Key/Fill Input to the animation input (use a white animation with alpha). Then set the Stinger source to be the NDI loopback input. White will be replaced by the NDI Preview signal, Alpha will show Program.

The downside of these workarounds is that there is a small timing glitch when it cuts from the NDI signal to the actual input that was in preview as the transition finishes. It would be great if we could just load alpha animation files into a custom transition slot.