logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neato23  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2024 12:37:35 AM(UTC)
neato23

Groups: Registered
United States

So I ran a rather successful SRT stream last night. Things went actually really smoothly. We've been running a solid hardware production for several years and lugging equipment around to the venue was getting to be painful.

I'm happy to say we were able to setup a 2 camera sporting event with 2 commentators and 1 announcer (think boxing ring) in about an hour and a half. A bit of that was teaching and waiting for other things to be in place before we could proceed.

The real bonus was breaking this all down at 1am only took 25 minutes!

Anyway, one of the problems/questions I'm having a hard time with is the audio. We're using a laptop with a copy of vMix and vMix call to send audio from 3 sources back to our production studio. The audio comes through delayed on the production end and I fully expected that. Where the trouble is is the delay the commentators are hearing. They're utilizing headset because it's a loud environment and can hear themselves talking but it's delayed a fraction of a second and it makes talking very odd and it really screws people up.

I should add that commentators don't need to hear themselves but they do need to hear their Co-commentator, so Commentator A should hear Commentator B and B should hear A. Also both should hear the ring announcer and me (producer on a dedicated bus)

All of that considered, outside some weird mix minus stuff or a larger mixer, I'm not sure I can accomplish this with the 404.

Anyone have any thoughts?
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2024 5:42:56 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
The interface has a Direct Monitor function, so you hear the mics before they run into vMix. I assume your mic is also connected to the interface.
neato23  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2024 7:03:28 AM(UTC)
neato23

United States

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
The interface has a Direct Monitor function, so you hear the mics before they run into vMix. I assume your mic is also connected to the interface.

Yea, I decided to take a look and do some more experimentation after posting this.

For anyone in the future (maybe even me) needing assistance with this. It's actually really simple. I took the phones out (front side) into a headphone amp (to split it and give it to two headsets). There is a knob call mix (IN/PB) Left is the inputs on the device, PB is the USB playback from the computer.

This setup with the mix knob just about center gives me the producer's talkback mic and gives me the internal commentary headset, but it is actually repeating because it comes from vMix as well. To aleviate that I added another audio bus. Commentary mics go into bus A and I send bus B back to my production studio. Only the master bus is monitored to output (back to USB) so you don't hear the local inputs.

Hope that makes sense and helps somebody else.
kross  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2024 8:51:26 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I think you can simplify even more. Instead of using another audio bus, in the audio settings for the mic inputs, just turn off headphone monitoring. That's what I do, works like a charm :)

headphones monitoring.JPG (52kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
kross  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2024 8:56:37 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Also, in the spirit of simplification, you don't need a headphone amp, the Behringer headphone output can power multiple headphones just fine with a simple splitter.
WaltG12  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2024 7:22:57 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
A powered amp should provide full independent volume control.

The best you'd get with a passive splitter is attenuation.