logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macjaeger  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 12:31:32 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
If the necessary api-calls are available, i think i could build a scheduling application. We'd need to discuss what that application should be able to do: recurring elements at fixed intervalls, like commercial breaks every half hour? elements scheduled at fixed times? or rather elements scheduled in a given order, like a slot-machine? Once the scheduling logic is defined, the actual implementation shouldn't be that hard to code.

How about that: tell me how you would like the frontend to work, in terms like "i want to select files from folders an drag them to a timetable", then we can discuss a way to build it.

Once we know what the scheduler should be able to do, we can explore what additional api-calls that would require...
melody  
#22 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 6:19:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

well, good news so... count on me to help you with the application.

i can help you using an existing request...

- movies, music video clips, advertising, live broadcast, music concerts, etc... watch foldered files (with selectable time of the day to start/finish and selectable transitions to start and finish)
- "X" minutes or "X" files randomly selected for advertising or related in a custom dedicated watch folder;
- start video/audio files in a custom position (this give possibility to do "part 1" and "part 2" for long duration files);
- dedicated logo input in a custom position (similar to existing overlay but with possibility to tick "allways on", only if "movie", only if "Live Broadcast", only if "Music Concert", "off") and choose what moment it goes on (ON "X" seconds after input starts and OFF "X" seconds before input finish);
- custom text information during play ("next presentation", "important presentation - xx:xxh", "live stream" timetable with custom name);

i think these are the master options to do a 24/7 broadcast, we can discuss all of them.

thank you macjaeger to take the challange, lets improve vmix :)

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
macjaeger  
#23 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 6:55:23 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

This is all a little to generic for my understanding. Could you elaborate on some of the points? What do you mean by "watch foldered files"? And what means "'X' minutes or 'X' files"?

To code a scheduler, i need to understand the basic concept of how the schedule should look like, e.h. give me a sort of "sample" schedule, marking what media are scheduled at fixed times, and what media are selected randomly. Are we aiming at a lot of short clips (like music videos mixed with random commercials and weather/news at fixed times/intervalls)? Or is there to be few longer elements (like movies or episodes of tv series) at fixed time slots with the gaps filled with random material (commercials)? Is vmix to be controlled only by the schedule, or would there be times when we switch into "operator mode", meaning that an operator is controlling vmix for a given period of time, e.g. halting the scheduler while we do a live show?

There are a lot of different approaches to the scheduling, and some ideas conflict with others...
melody  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 10:11:00 PM(UTC)

ok... let me clarify the ideas...
the major idea is open vmix and the schedule aplication to work together and use two different presets: "Non-Operator" Preset and "Operator" Preset;

- "Non-Operator" Preset - ability to add all files from a specific folder as a playlist using folder name to categorize content and auto-update content, based on the folder content, to facilitate add/remove files... examples of playlist/categories: "movies", "music videos clips", "advertising", "concerts", "tv series"...
- "Operator" Preset - call a vmix preset (that include cameras and other video/audio source) and operate with vmix directly to work in a live show, for example.
- ability to choose how much files and what playlists will be used in "Non-Operator" Preset, with random and loop options.
- ability to choose how much Seconds, minutes, hours and days of the week the "Presets" and playlists will be used when "automatic" feature is enabled
- ability to automatically/manually switch to "Operator" Preset when "Non-Operator" Preset is running.
- use a specific playlist, advertising for example, when switch back to "Non-Operator" Preset, while the next scheduled task doesn`t start.
- make schedule task list based on the files duration;

Schedule sample:

hours:minutes:seconds -> hours:minutes:seconds - (playlist name with related content)

00:00:00 -> 05:59:59 - (advertising)
06:00:00 -> 06:29:59 - (music video clips)
06:30:00 -> 06:59:59 - (advertising)
07:00:00 -> 07:49:59 - (tv series)
07:50:00 -> 07:59:59 - (advertising)
08:00:00 -> 09:49:59 - (Operator Preset, with custom name (Live News, for example) when specify duration is need)
09:50:00 -> 09:59:59 - (advertising)

hope this helps...

regards,

Melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
macjaeger  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:01:07 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

Thank you for the explanation, that's really helpfull.

So basically we'd schedule not media elements, but rather "operation modes", where an operation mode could be:
- play clips from a folder (or other kind of list) randomly, e.g. random commercials, or random videoclips
- play a specific media element or playlist (e.g. teaser -> weather forecast -> prerecorded newsflash -> premium commercial ("the following show is sponsored by") -> tv series episode -> premium commercial)
- load a specific vMix-configuration (and don't do nothing until next event, because vMix will be controlled manually until then)

To facilitate the "random element" operation modes, both vMix and the scheduling machine would need access to the same media library (e.g. shared folder), or at least vMix would need to provide metadata about the contents of a local / shared folder (e.g. list all playable files in folder x, including playtime), so i'd say we think of running vMix and the scheduler at least in the same local network, right?

Is vMix able to seamlessly load a new configuration while it's playing a video? E.g. playing the prerecorded opening sequence for our live show while loading that show's configuration in the background?
Damn2Good4U  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:28:00 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
macjaeger wrote:
To code a scheduler, i need to understand the basic concept of how the schedule should look like, e.h. give me a sort of "sample" schedule, marking what media are scheduled at fixed times, and what media are selected randomly. Are we aiming at a lot of short clips (like music videos mixed with random commercials and weather/news at fixed times/intervalls)? Or is there to be few longer elements (like movies or episodes of tv series) at fixed time slots with the gaps filled with random material (commercials)? Is vmix to be controlled only by the schedule, or would there be times when we switch into "operator mode", meaning that an operator is controlling vmix for a given period of time, e.g. halting the scheduler while we do a live show?

There are a lot of different approaches to the scheduling, and some ideas conflict with others...

melody wrote:
ok... let me clarify the ideas...

Schedule sample:

hours:minutes:seconds -> hours:minutes:seconds - (playlist name with related content)

00:00:00 -> 05:59:59 - (advertising)
06:00:00 -> 06:29:59 - (music video clips)
06:30:00 -> 06:59:59 - (advertising)
07:00:00 -> 07:49:59 - (tv series)
07:50:00 -> 07:59:59 - (advertising)
08:00:00 -> 09:49:59 - (Operator Preset, with custom name (Live News, for example) when specify duration is need)
09:50:00 -> 09:59:59 - (advertising)

Thank you Macjaeger for this and also Melody for your contributions so far... I guess we are n the right part to making this possible, and I am willing to contribute as well.

My issue here and with vMix is for the experienced programmers to simplify things and make it user friendly for the rookies.

Now back to the issue of the playout (scheduler) I feel we should look at at a way of simplify the operation, by using a drag and drop system if possible or an option whereby the clips can be arranged and re-arranged on the timeline.

Here is my own little way I think it should go: scheduler should be an automated system while the use of vMix input system should be manual e.g.

1. I as a User click on the playout to schedule my channel/iptv for the day which is going to be from 00:00hrs - 23:59hrs for each day.
2. On the GUI, I can now drag and drop my videos or upload my set of videos, be it movie, cartoon, animation, music etc...
3. Because each video is got duration, if I dropped a movie that's 50mins on the timeline, at 00:00hrs the next clip which may be a commercial can be dropped at the end of the movie at about 00:50hrs and a music or more commercials can follow until 01:00hrs when I will have to drop another major clip.. Until I fill in the whole day.
4. But should I have a Live show in-between those hours, all I need to tell vMix is to schedule live in the hours we will be going live, and vMix will automatically recognise it will have to pause at that hour to switch to Manual mode where an operator will now have to be switching between the cameras, overlays and any other clips manually, and after that show/hour, vMix switches back to the playout to continue the next scheduled clip.. Etc

By this, we can run our IPTV 24/7 and will only need to mount the system when going for a studio live and want to switch between cameras...

Therefore, whenever you wanna do a studio show with camera inputs, vMix goes Manual for period specified on the playout timeline...

I hope this helps, I can as well do a rough graphical illustration if you need for me to do...

Once again thanks for the interest, together we shall make vMix the best.

Regards,
Rottimmy
melody  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:39:51 PM(UTC)

macjaeger wrote:
To facilitate the "random element" operation modes, both vMix and the scheduling machine would need access to the same media library (e.g. shared folder), or at least vMix would need to provide metadata about the contents of a local / shared folder (e.g. list all playable files in folder x, including playtime), so i'd say we think of running vMix and the scheduler at least in the same local network, right?

right, would be good if just one machine could run vmix and schedule app. i know that this can increase CPU usage but this is just to avoid sharing issues on the network.

macjaeger wrote:
Is vMix able to seamlessly load a new configuration while it's playing a video? E.g. playing the prerecorded opening sequence for our live show while loading that show's configuration in the background?

good questions, i didn`t think about that... maybe change preset during a live event or a "non-live" event will cause some issues.
let`s improve presets...
1. "Non-Operator" Preset;
2. "Non-Operator" + "Operator" Preset;
The user will work with just one of these two presets. to avoid issues, no changing preset is needed. these presets give to user the possibility to choose if he wants to just make an automated broadcast based on pre-recorded files ("Non-Operator" Preset) using categorized playlists or combine categorized playlists with live video/audio sources ("Non-Operator" + "Operator" Preset) if a live stream is needed.

changing a little the subject of the topic, let me ask you... are you think about to sell the aplicattion or just free distribute it?

Damn2Good4U wrote:
I feel we should look at at a way of simplify the operation, by using a drag and drop system if possible or an option whereby the clips can be arranged and re-arranged on the timeline

i agree 100% with a drag-n-drop timeline, it will be a big improvement. very nice perspective by the way.

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
Damn2Good4U  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:33:38 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

melody wrote:
changing a little the subject of the topic, let me ask you... are you think about to sell the aplicattion or just free distribute it?

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc

I totally agreed with Melody on his last opinion, and also with the above quotes...

Regards,
Rottimmy
macjaeger  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:14:38 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

I'm not interested in selling software, i neither have the programming skills nor the time to develope a fully grown, sellable application. So please don't expect too much from what i'm offering here, there'll surely be no shiny, polished app, but from what we've dicussed so far i think i could code a working tool with a simple gui that will do the job (e.g.: don't expect a full featured timeline like in video editing software, rather expect an ordered list where you can drag/drop elements and sort by mouse).

I'd like to build the application in a way that it _can_ (but not necessarily _need_ to) be run from an other machine in the same local network, so that one operator could schedule the next day from pc#1 (scheduler) while someone else performs a live show at pc#2 (vMix). But of course scheduler could also run on the same machine as vMix. Probably the programm will actually be two programms, one "server" running on vMix machine, providing local services (like listing folder contents, or transferring files to/from the machine) and actually controlling vMix, while the other part is a "client" running on a deliberate machine, providing the GUI to setup the schedule.

Once we create a working version of this programm - probably with Martins help, adding some API functionality - i think there will be others who'd take the concept (or even the code) and adjust it to their needs, building on top of and extending the basic concept we provided...

Some personal note: please don't expect me to provide said software in the next couple of weeks - in my daytime job i have a school to run, and right now we are heading to the final exams...
Damn2Good4U  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:10:33 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

This sounds promising, and as you rightly said, with Matins help, we can move on from here...

How about using the LIST functionality in vMix to achieve the task by just adding a better GUI, drag n drop, as well as the time code...? As far as I am concerned the video list function is half of what we are looking for except that it lacks time schedule.

Regards,
Rottimmy
melody  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:47:15 PM(UTC)

macjaeger wrote:
I'm not interested in selling software, i neither have the programming skills nor the time to develope a fully grown, sellable application. So please don't expect too much from what i'm offering here, there'll surely be no shiny, polished app, but from what we've dicussed so far i think i could code a working tool with a simple gui that will do the job (e.g.: don't expect a full featured timeline like in video editing software, rather expect an ordered list where you can drag/drop elements and sort by mouse).

I'd like to build the application in a way that it _can_ (but not necessarily _need_ to) be run from an other machine in the same local network, so that one operator could schedule the next day from pc#1 (scheduler) while someone else performs a live show at pc#2 (vMix). But of course scheduler could also run on the same machine as vMix. Probably the programm will actually be two programms, one "server" running on vMix machine, providing local services (like listing folder contents, or transferring files to/from the machine) and actually controlling vMix, while the other part is a "client" running on a deliberate machine, providing the GUI to setup the schedule.

Once we create a working version of this programm - probably with Martins help, adding some API functionality - i think there will be others who'd take the concept (or even the code) and adjust it to their needs, building on top of and extending the basic concept we provided...

Some personal note: please don't expect me to provide said software in the next couple of weeks - in my daytime job i have a school to run, and right now we are heading to the final exams...

macjaeger, feel free to take the time you need and to do what you know. every time you need help you can count on me (and Damn2Good4U i say :D)

i just need to say a big THANK YOU VERY MUCH for you to take this challenge. just tell us something about your application when done :)

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
macjaeger  
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:28:09 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

I'll be exploring the possibilities already available in vMix' API in the next days, and probably do some "proof of concept" testing, e.g. creating a simple app to test drive basic API calls etc. Once i get to know the possibilities and limitations i can start planing the actual application, and i'll be needing your thoughts and ideas in the process a lot - so count on me to keep you in the loop (or even drag you in there... ;-) ).

But maybe this "feature request"-thread isn't the right place for our ongoing discussion; is there a developer's board or something similar?

@melody: it seems your signature-link is broken...
melody  
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:01:02 PM(UTC)

our web site is down due an hacker attack... nothing that a (blessed) daily backup system can`t restore... a few hours more and all will return to normaly.

so, about your app, for all you need from me just post here... i will look into this post to see the updates...

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
Damn2Good4U  
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:05:04 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

macjaeger wrote:
I'll be exploring the possibilities already available in vMix' API in the next days, and probably do some "proof of concept" testing, e.g. creating a simple app to test drive basic API calls etc. Once i get to know the possibilities and limitations i can start planing the actual application, and i'll be needing your thoughts and ideas in the process a lot - so count on me to keep you in the loop (or even drag you in there... ;-) ).

But maybe this "feature request"-thread isn't the right place for our ongoing discussion; is there a developer's board or something similar?

@melody: it seems your signature-link is broken...

I am very much in and ready to contribute as well. Please count me in

Regards,
Rottimmy
macjaeger  
#35 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:12:34 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

Glad to hear you two on board ;-)

I've done a little basic testing yesterday, and found that vMix will stop the output when you load a preset. That's no big deal though, there's actually no need for seperate presets. The scheduling app will add an input, run it, and afterwards remove it - so basically the loaded preset won't be touched. New inputs will be added to the end of the list, so it won't even alter the order of inputs, which may be critical for running live shows.

I've successfully built a basic application that calls vMix' web-api (sending http requests and receiving the results), and could add inputs, make them active, start and stop them, and remove the input - so the basic building blocks of our scheduler are all available. But there are some obstacles:

To my understanding, web-api-calls only reference inputs by number. But the numbers change when you rearrange the inputs (happens only occasionally) or when an input is closed / removed (happens all the time), making it difficult to _reliably_ reference the right input. In my testing application when i want to remove clip "myclip.avi" after it was played, i have to call the api without parameters to get the list of inputs, parse it, extract the input number corresponding to "myclip.avi", and then send the api-call "remove input number xx". This produces some overhead (two api-calls instead of one) and could lead to problems if the input-number changes at that exact moment.

It would be a lot easier and more effective (in both terms of workload and reliability) if we could reference inputs by some other identifier that won't change, preferably one that could be set when adding the input via an api-call. Each input has a "name", with video-files that usually is the files name, this could be the identifier used to reference the input, but that would be ambiguos as multiple inputs can have the same name, and there's no way (that i know of) to change/set the name via api-calls.

Martin, are you with us?

Could you add an additional parameter to the "AddInput"-api-call to either set the inputs name or to set some other global unique identifier (guid)? And could you extend the other api-calls so that the "Input=" parameter would accept the inputs name or the guid respectively? This would help a lot!
melody  
#36 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:29:02 AM(UTC)

martin, a topic with more than 1000 views (growing every day) deserves some help. it would be great if more api`s were available on next release.

macjaeger, maybe sugesting some api`s that aren`t available yet would be nice.

melody wrote:
let`s improve presets...
1. "Non-Operator" Preset;
2. "Non-Operator" + "Operator" Preset;
The user will work with just one of these two presets. to avoid issues, no changing preset is needed. these presets give to user the possibility to choose if he wants to just make an automated broadcast based on pre-recorded files ("Non-Operator" Preset) using categorized playlists or combine categorized playlists with live video/audio sources ("Non-Operator" + "Operator" Preset) if a live stream is needed.

update: i noticed that martin has implemented a "Video List" input, wich is perfect to use on your aplication instead a playlist.

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
macjaeger  
#37 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:15:28 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

I'm going to evaluate videolist and playlist for our purposes soon, right now i am a little blocked because my developement pc was running the trial version of vmix which happened to run out a few days ago, and my video-machine is in use at school... i'll have to setup either yet another machine running the trial, or maybe a virtual one, to continue my testing (basic version won't allow playlists).

admin  
#38 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:03:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Regarding the AddInput function and the Input parameter, vMix already uses GUIDs internally so I could
expand the Input command to support GUIDs as well.

For example:

?Function=AddInput&Input=ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862&Value=Video|c:\video.wmv

Would assign the GUID to the new input so you could do this:

?Function=RemoveInput&Input=ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862

Or this:

?Function=Fade&Input=ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862

Would that be suitable?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
macjaeger  
#39 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:17:06 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

That would greatly help designing the scheduling application! If using our externally provided guid poses problems (e.g. you can't be sure that our guid is really globally unique...) it would be enough to send your internal guid with the web response. Like:

Code:
?Function=AddInput&Value=Video|c:\video.wmv

returns something like

Code:
Function completed successfully. Added Input "1" with guid "ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862".

Quote:
Would assign the GUID to the new input so you could do this:

?Function=RemoveInput&Input=ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862

Or this:

?Function=Fade&Input=ee6c5558-a0b5-4fdf-ae53-e90eb1fa2862

That's exactly what I asked for ;-)

It would also help to see the guid listed in the xml-style status-display (the one you get when calling api without parameters).

Thank you Martin for reading in and considering to add to the api!
macjaeger  
#40 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:25:52 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

Here's a question:

I guess we will have at least some media elements starting at a specific time, e.g. news cast at 18:00. It will not always be possible to fill the time before completely with other media elements, so there could be gaps in our schedule. How to treat these situation? Would you rather schedule longer clips and cut away before they are finished? Or would you fill the gaps with variable length elements like (seamlessly) looping video clips or (timeless) images (e.g. "upcoming next: newsflash")?

@Martin:

Is there a way to set an input to "loop" via api? If not, could you add this please?

It would also be really helpfull to add "VideoList" to the function "AddInput", like:

Code:
?Function=AddInput&Value=VideoList|c:\mylist.m3u

or, maybe even better:

Code:
?Function=AddInput&Value=VideoList|c:\video1.wmv|c:\video2.wmv|c:\video3.wmv

And i have one more request (sorry to bother you!):

There are so many container/codec-combinations, and vMix handles most but not all of them, so there could be files on our schedule that vMix can't play. I'd like to avoid this situation, but i think it's almost impossible from my end to discern what files will open in vMix, and which won't. Do you think you could add yet another api-call for us that will take a filename, try to open it, and report back in web-response? Like

Code:
?Function=ExamineFile&Value=Video|c:\myvideo.avi

followed by a web-response like

Code:
File can be opened, media length is 23000.

or
Code:
File can not be opened.

Otherwise i will have to do a sequence of "AddInput" and subsequent status-request and "RemoveInput" calls for each file; that would work too, but i think this is a rather ugly workaround...

Bytheway: it's a little strange that vMix reports "Function completed succesfully." after "?function=AddInput&value=nonsense" ;-)