logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2023 5:49:41 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Here are some findings as I have played along with Zoom in vMix. Please consider them as feedback to the vMix team. I do not expect answers, comments, or discussions. Therefore, the questions I pose are rhetorical.

Regarding the installation of vMix. For Zoom we need the "latest version of vMix and the latest Zoom Plugin for vMix". Which made me, and likely other users, wonder: Install in which order? Perhaps it does not matter, but not knowing makes me uncertain...

I guess/hope we will get a suite of nice shortcuts for Zoom. As there are currently none, this is perhaps worth commenting in the release notes of the beta...

In the Help the "Zoom" section is confusing. It is more like a list of features, than a clear directory of the varius settings and options. Some examples. "Setting up Zoom Input" is rather about "Setting up for Zoom" or "Zoom Setup window". A "Zoom Input Settings" could encompass the current subsections of "Multiple Zoom Participants" and "Screen Sharing". Actually the latter heading is rather mis-leading. Unfortunately vMix cannot Screen share, but one can select a participants Screen share as a Source type.

Where are the various Zoom settings stored between vMix sessions, and PC´s? For example, if I open up a v25 Preset it starts with the last Zoom setup settings. If I do a Settings Default and then a New Preset the content of the Zoom Setup window remains. Seems it is stored in neither the .vMix file, nor the .config file.

Regarding "Paste Invite Link". Pasting a link without a password (e.g. for a Personal room) does not work. Also, would it not be possible for vMix to instead parse the content of a "Meeting ID/link" field and figure out how to fill in the ID and the password?

Is it by design that Previous meetings show up in the dropdown meny of available meetings that can be joined? Note, on the Zoom web site you cannot Start a Previous meeting.

Consider starting the available meetings entries with the ID, instead of as now have it at the end. If the Meeting Topic is too long the ID will not be shown. That makes it impossible to differentiate between meetings that have the same topic.

Some Zoom meetings does not have a password. When joining such meetings the Zoom app simply omits asking for a password. In vMix's Zoom Setup window there is always a password field, even though it is not required. Sometimes with an old, and not relevant, password. Therefore, consider blanking the password whenever a new ID is entered.

Consider explaining in the documentation that the different capture modes (Recording/Streaming) does not affect vMix's performance. Also, make a note of that the chosen mode often has to be granted to the vMix participant by the Host. Either when setting up the meeting, or whan requested from the host by vMix.

In the Zoom Setup Window, would not "Connect" be more logical than "OK"? And I think it would be nice with a "Save for later" option, as brought up by the admin in another topic.

There is a slight, sometimes long, delay between clicking objects in the Zoom Setup window and when the response appear. For examples, between [Host a meeting] and that the dropdown appears and between [OK] and that the Zoom Setup window closes. The problem is that this latency causes the user to believe that the click did not go through. To avoid this, an instant response like "Getting meeting info" or "Closing the Zoom setup" would help.

For the Zoom Input, the "Audio source" choice of "Isolated" or "Mixed" is a little bit confusing. First, for Video Call Inputs "Audio source" means which source from vMix should be sent to the Call. In Zoom Inputs the choice refers to which type of audio vMix should get from Zoom. Second, what is "Mixed"? Consider changing this choice to "Isolated audio", "Yes" or "No".

If a participant Mute their camera, the Zoom Input displays a freeze frame. Not black, as in the release notes of .46.

If a participant's name is changed in the meeting, the change is not recognized by vMix. If vMix then dis- and reconnect the names are changed in the Participant Source lists of both the Zoom Inputs and the Zoom Manager. But, for the latter the old names are shown in the top section.

According to the Help, "the chat window will allow you to communicate with each participant Chat in Zoom Manager". But messages are always sent to everyone. It would of course be useful to chat with a specific participant. Furthermore, an incoming message has no indication of wether it is personal (for vMix) or to Everyone.

If I disconnect from a joined Meeting, the Zoom Manager reports "Meeting ended" even though the meeting is still going on. Furthermore, the participants names remain listed. If I Connect again the Manager reports "Meeting started". Should not the Manager's messages be "Disconnected" and "Connected"? Unless, of course, the meeting is hosted by vMix.
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2023 12:27:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

A couple of notes:

Documentation

As a general rule, if we do not document it, then it is not applicable or does not matter.
So it does not matter what order you install them in, only that you install them before running vMix.
Also performance does not matter between Stream and Record so this will not be documented as a result.

Settings

Settings are saved both in the Preset and the main vMix settings.
This is consistent with other features such as Data Sources.
The preset settings will always override the main vMix settings.

The only adjustment we can make is to ensure it is cleared when going to New Preset.

Passwords

Passwords on Zoom meetings are a security requirement, we do not have any plans to change this to support legacy meetings without passwords.

Shortcuts

There are no plans for additional shortcuts for the Zoom input, as there are not many use cases we can find that make sense, people
can certainly make requests for some in particular for a future release though. (In Feature Requests)

Blank

This is a misunderstanding, we cannot switch to blank when a participant switches their camera off.
The switch to blank is only when switching between participants or types, so you can be sure the switch applied, but there is currently no feed available.

richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2023 2:23:15 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

After spending quite a few hours with 27.0.0.55 I'd like to add a few notes.

Being able to change an Input's type from/to Zoom is wonderful, thanks for that! We can easily reuse our old NDI Inputs (from a Zoom room) to Zoom inputs and change back :D

The waiting room, if enabled in the meeting, is ignored when vMix is "Setup Zoom" as Host and connects. vMix just let all that join to come in. This might be by design, but sort of circumvents Zoom's security measures. Might be an issue if one re-uses old meetings and don't want participants from previous shows to join again (on purpose or mistake).

Perhaps it should be impossible to "Host" a meeting that is already running. Or have vMix as a co-host of a meeting. If a meeting is started on a separate PC by Zoom user X as a Host, and vMix is logged in as the same user X and Connect to that meeting vMix becomes co-host and strange things happen. One can Disconnect, but not Connect again - or rather get back to the "Zoom Setup" window. One must on the other PC leave and assign vMix as the Host.

Once connected there is no way knowing the Zoom Setup settings, except the meeting id which is shown in the Zoom manager. In particular I would like to be able to check the Video and Audio sources.

Zoom Manager - a couple of odd issues.

1. The red dot in the list of participants seems to indicate if used in an Input. But, if a Zoom Input is changed to None the red dot is still on. It remains so until clicking on the participant's name, or closing and reopening the Zoom Manager window. Same thing if the Zoom Input is cleared.

2. Then I have noted a few things that I fail to replicate. At one time, when I had three Zoom Inputs, the Zoom manager window listed five. And, if I recall it correctly, the last two were orange. And at leas once, the list if participants and the names above the Input names remained even after vMix disconnected from the meeting.

p.s.
Changing a Zoom Input's Meeting setting "Original Sound..." still does not propagate to other Zoom inputs.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 1:26:44 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

No customers needing my attention this close to the holidays, so plenty of time to dig into the future. And today I found these issues.

When opening a Preset with valid Zoom Setup settings as Host for an existing meeting the Zoom Input(s) reported "Meeting details incorrect". If one then opens the Zoom Setup window and Connect, it does indeed connect. Maybe this is because the Preset was saved before the scheduled meeting time had run out, and then the meeting was re-scheduled to "soon" and the Preset was opened with "incorrect" Zoom Setup settings. At least, if I connected to the "incorrect" setup for the meeting happening soon, saved, exited and opened the newly saved Preset I get a "Click here to Connect" (i.e. no incorrect).

Without any warning for a potential Zoom disconnect and Hosting connected to a meeting one can Open another Preset as well as quit vMix. Perhaps there should be the same warning as when disconnecting from Zoom...

The not being able to disconnect issue (I´ve touched upon this before). If vMix as a non-host attempts to connect to a meeting that is running I might get stuck. This happens, for example. if vMix is not let in by the host. I definitely think there should always be an "Abort connection attempt" (or similar) option. Otherwise one might get stuck in the middle of a production...

Thanks.
admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2023 12:09:39 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post

When opening a Preset with valid Zoom Setup settings as Host for an existing meeting the Zoom Input(s) reported "Meeting details incorrect".

Please send us an email and support report as we are unable to replicate this. Something must have changed in the meeting details saved in the preset vs connect.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 12:00:55 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post

When opening a Preset with valid Zoom Setup settings as Host for an existing meeting the Zoom Input(s) reported "Meeting details incorrect".

Please send us an email and support report as we are unable to replicate this. Something must have changed in the meeting details saved in the preset vs connect.

Hmmm, I've sent a report, but the error message is probably correct. Although strange things happened. Not sure if my report and notes here clarifies anything. Still I hope it helps...

To begin with, the preset with the "incorrect" message had a meeting ID that was probably from a previous instant meeting that I started on another PC using the same Zoom account I experimented with.

Today when I first opened that Preset I did not get the error message. I then checked Previous scheduled meeting for the same account, but could not find any.

I then, within vMix that was still running, logged into that account and then exited vMix without saving. Now, when I re-opened the Preset I got the error message. At that time I sent the Error report.

When I then Clicked to Connect vMix showed another Meeting I0 (in the dropdown list). And when I cancelled the Zoom Setup window the error message was gone. I could repeat this, that is re-open the same Preset, get the Error message, Click to connect, got another ID, cancel and error message was gone.

My next step was to open the Zoom app on some other PC's to find the missing ID. Sure enough, on two PC's using the Zoom app, that Meeting id was listed among the choices which meeting to join. Sorry, I don't remember on which PC I started that very instant meeting a few days ago.

Now the strange thing. In vMix I logged out from Zoom, cancelled the Zoom setup Window, opened the Preset and did NOT get the error message. Note, I have not saved a new Preset, I have on all attempts opened the original Preset. I have not re-started the meeting with the ID that was incorrect. No matter how I try, including rebooting the vMix preset, making sure being logged out in vMic, etc. I cannot replicate the error message.

With that I just wish everyone a Marry Christmas holiday!

admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 12:31:42 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Richard,

Something important to note. Due to Zoom security requirements the Zoom account is not saved in the preset, it is saved in the encrypted vault on the Windows machine.
This means you can't have different accounts on different presets, they will all use the last logged in Zoom account you used.

This probably explains the issue if you are using different Zoom accounts to login and then using a preset that requires a second Zoom account to work.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
rogerone on 1/27/2024(UTC)