logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 9, 2023 3:17:48 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I've tested AV1 encoding in vMix 27 using an Nvidia RTX 4070ti with exciting results. Watch this YouTube video for details .

But the RTX 4000 series GPUs are out of reach ($$$) for many folks especially some that could really benefit with outstanding video at lower bandwidth (churches, school sports venues, rural livestreamers, portable streaming systems with slow bandwidth and more).

So, I have ordered an Intel ARC GPU ($94) with an AV1 encoder. But the question arises... Can that new card peacefully coexist with my RTX 4070ti? Will vMix care? Will vMix/PC performance suffer like it would with two Nvidia GPUs?

I'll be testing this for sure but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

- Tom
furtive  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2023 11:23:06 AM(UTC)
furtive

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm eager to see your findings once you've tested this! Reminds me of when we used to have one GPU for graphics and another for PhysX...

Given what I've seen of AV1, I would LOVE to know if an affordable card like ARC could be used to encode stream while a beefier 30XX/40XX carries most of the burden for mixing the show.

Even if that exact outcome isn't currently doable, I imagine it'd still be possible to mix the show in vMix and then NDI/SDI out to another application to encode stream with AV1 using the ARC card...
thanks 1 user thanked furtive for this useful post.
sinc747 on 11/12/2023(UTC)
RichDanby  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2023 11:54:55 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Also interested in the result. It feels like it should be possible but might depend on how vMix detects what hardware encoders are available on the machine - and if they are happy to move the frames between devices.

I just did a test on an Nvidia machine without Arc and vMix tried to use av1_nvenc to encode in ffmpeg, so the Nvidia specific codec. V27 release notes say AV1 on Arc is supported but that might not be tried if you have Nvidia configured as your main GPU in vMix.

With the next gen of Intel processors rumoured to have hardware accelerated AV1 encoding I could those, plus a 2/3000 series card, being popular setup if supported.

(If vMix won't use the Arc encoder, you could try running OBS on the same machine, configured to run using the Arc card, and use that to take NDI from vMix and stream it. You may aulo be able to run two instances of vMix, one on each gpu, but I think the GPU config would be shared.)
thanks 1 user thanked RichDanby for this useful post.
sinc747 on 11/12/2023(UTC)
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2023 2:44:51 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Tried an experiment today using my 4070ti and my new Intel ARC A310 GPU. It did not go well. vMix did not recognize the A310 when both cards were installed. With just the A310, vMix saw it but frame rate was terrible, render times through the roof.

I will test again when I have more time, but first time out of the box was not good.

Here's the show where I talk about it: The Streaming Idiots Show on YouTube.

Stay tuned!

- Tom
admin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2023 6:30:27 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4165 time(s) in 1496 post(s)
Unfortunately, it is unlikely vMix will ever support running two GPUs in the system at the same time, as the potential for poor performance and conflicts is too high.

When selecting the hardware encoder, vMix will search for the encoder available on the same GPU used by the rest of vMix.

The GeForce 4060 can already be found for under $300 USD on Amazon and NewEgg and no doubt cheaper options will start to become available in the near future
(such as the long rumoured 4050)

Finally, HEVC is an option to achieve almost the same quality as AV1 when streaming to YouTube and is available right now in vMix 27 on GeForce 2000 series or higher.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 11/18/2023(UTC)
Leonbeas  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2023 6:32:28 AM(UTC)
Leonbeas

Mexico

Hi guys I don't seem to find any review from intel arc with vmix, are you recommending any of the intel GPU's A380, A580, A750 A 770.
Will this cards be enough for 1080p recording and 2x streaming on GPU hardware. I'm on to buy a new GPU and Intel is looking very appealing, but vmix is a big part of the equation Thanks for your help.