logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hypohamish  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 9:22:10 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
This however puts me back to square 1 - why is my CPU being maxed out to 100% when having 8 callers in & sending 4 videos out?

Yep !
There might be something with THIS card ?
or
maybe something wrong in the BIOS ? (try resetting it to defaults)
or
is this RTX 2070 card in the first PCI-Express 16x slot ?

We're going with the idea it could be this card - so hoping to try the 2070 in the machine with the 3070 in the next couple of days and we'll see if that helps, I'm not optimistic though.

Re: BIOS - Most settings are already set to default, the only tweaks have been to disable the internal graphics device, and set an XMP profile for the RAM.

Re: x16 slot - yeah, it's sat in the first slot and is receiving the correct amount of bandwith. The GPU has no performance issues at all for any gaming that I do or anything else, it's only vMix where I'm getting strange results.

DWAM  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 9:36:23 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
There's no need to completely disable the discrete GPU from the integrated graphic device on the MB. Just make sure the PCI-Express has priority.

In case you're familiar with FFMPEG, you could try to encode/decode on CUVID and NVENC, just to make sure it works.
Hypohamish  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2020 4:58:07 AM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Happy holidays all - I come bearing an update.

So, we exhaustively tested three different test benches.

My main machine: i7-9700k & RTX 2070
Test bench: Ryzen Threadripper 3960x & RTX 3070
New machine: i9-10920x & RTX 2070

We discovered that in the main machine build, the GPU wasn't being utilised properly. We put the same GPU into the Ryzen build, and it would get 30%+ usage compared to when it was sat in the i7 build.

Swapping out the i7 for the i9 & a new mobo, ran the test again with the 2070, and ended up seeing the same result as the i7 - the CPU would be getting loaded to about 30%, but the GPU only hitting 10%. What was important here is that we didn't reformat/reinstall windows at first with the i9 build, so still had the same OS as the i7 build.

What did the trick was re-installing windows. Once we'd done this and ran the test again, the i9 was sat at 30% usage, but the GPU was now also hitting that 30% usage mark.

I've conducted further tests since with the i7 build (it's now in a different machine, with a GTX 960). Running the same preset on it now yields a 75% CPU usage and a 40% GPU usage.

The 'too long didn't read' is basically there was an issue with Windows. Either some setting, software or some config somewhere was stopping the i7 build from utilising the 2070 properly (all drivers had been properly checked, including chipset/GPU, BIOS had been updated & reset, all of this achieved nothing - only reformatting windows solved it!)

I am now sat on an i9-10920x build regardless because I needed a CPU with more PCIE lanes for utilising capture cards etc, but I'm glad I was able to get to the bottom of the issues with the i7, as it'll now be used as a secondary machine for encoding/streaming/whatever else.

Thanks for the help all :)