logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DWAM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2020 7:26:40 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Groups: Registered
Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi !

I guess this post really aims at Martin unless someone else figured how to use this non-documented new feature in vMix 24...
Checked https://www.vmix.com/help24/ but it's not up-to-date yet, certainly because it's still in beta.

So, I finally found a little time to test vMix 24 and obviously my first concern was to experiment with the long awaited DynamicInputs and DynamicValues features. Along with Doggy we tried to understand how it works and whether it solves the situations which originally motivated my Feature Request ( https://forums.vmix.com/...-Functions-for-Shortcuts )

First to make it clear to everyone, let's describe what's visible in vMix UI :

Shortcuts section :

new commands are now implemented (in the function dropdown)
> SetDynamicInput1
> SetDynamicInput2
> SetDynamicInput3
> SetDynamicInput4

Clipboard01.jpg (51kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Perfect !

In the "general" tab, one can find:
> SetDynamicValue1
> SetDynamicValue2
> SetDynamicValue3
> SetDynamicValue4

No DynamicFunctions unfortunately... It would be so practical!

new inputs also show in the input dropdown, right after "active", "hover" and before "preview" (top of the list)
> Dynamic1
> Dynamic2
> Dynamic3
> Dynamic4

Clipboard02.jpg (35kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

So far, so good !
I expected these to be named "DynamicInput1" "DynamicInput2" "DynamicInput3" "DynamicInput4" but I guess it does not matter much... Well... until you realize the same names will be used for DynamicValues too !!! Or maybe we did not understand it well... to be confirmed... But, as the case may be (sharing the same names) it seems a little confusing and it highly reduces the potential usecases to use 2 x 4 SetDynamicStuff arrays when only 1 x 4 DynamicStuff array can be retrieved. Ain't this really confusing and frustrating?

Now let's carry on the inventory.
Those DynamicInputs and DynamicValues do not show in the Triggers section ! ???
But the functions (SetDynamicInputs) do !

So we can have the triggers to set the function but we cannot have the DynamicInputs to be triggered ! ??? Weird !

They will not show in the dropdowns for multiview layers either ! How disappointing ! I know we have other commands to dynamically manage our multiviews, but an input is an input, may it be static or dynamic. Again I really expected Dynamic Inputs to be usable here and don't really understand why not.

Now let's check the API in its main representation : the XML status page > NOTHING !!!
Frankly this is the 1st thing I checked after setting a DynamicInput and I couldn't believe my eyes that it would not reflect a DynamicInput was even set!
I expected DynStuff to be reported here, like the "active" or "preview" inputs or anything else, but nothing ! Very weird!

Here's what I expected
Code:

<vmix>
<version>24.0.0.37</version>
<edition>Trial</edition>
<inputs>
<input key="d9cedf22-366b-442d-abe6-74b7a8e6332d" number="1" type="Colour" title="Colour" shortTitle="Colour" state="Paused" position="0" duration="0" loop="False">Colour</input>
<input key="7ee95cbe-0931-47fe-8efc-3d1f7e5a69d7" number="2" type="Virtual" title="Virtual - Colour" shortTitle="Colour" state="Paused" position="0" duration="0" loop="False">Virtual - Colour</input>
<input key="2a0bc7e2-a5d1-4ca5-b580-b76f51c04c15" number="3" type="Virtual" title="Virtual - Colour" shortTitle="Colour" state="Paused" position="0" duration="0" loop="False">Virtual - Colour</input>
<input key="cb10932c-cbda-48eb-99eb-6a424e99f9ac" number="4" type="Virtual" title="Virtual - Colour" shortTitle="Colour" state="Paused" position="0" duration="0" loop="False">Virtual - Colour</input>
<input key="8f486a95-c94b-4333-b6a1-6585c80fc96e" number="5" type="Colour" title="Colour" shortTitle="Colour" state="Paused" position="0" duration="0" loop="False">Colour</input>
</inputs>
<overlays>
<overlay number="1"/>
<overlay number="2"/>
<overlay number="3"/>
<overlay number="4"/>
<overlay number="5"/>
<overlay number="6"/>
<overlay number="7"/>
<overlay number="8"/>
</overlays>
<preview>3</preview>
<active>1</active>
--- ?? -----------
<DynamicInput1>2</DynamicInput1>
<DynamicInput2>16</DynamicInput2>
<DynamicInput3>4</DynamicInput3>
<DynamicInput4>15</DynamicInput4>
<DynamicValue1>100</DynamicValue1>
<DynamicValue2>test</DynamicValue2>
<DynamicValue3>1200</DynamicValue3>
<DynamicValue4>380</DynamicValue4>
--- ?? -----------
<fadeToBlack>False</fadeToBlack>
<transitions>
<transition number="1" effect="Fade" duration="500"/>
<transition number="2" effect="Merge" duration="1000"/>
<transition number="3" effect="Wipe" duration="1000"/>
<transition number="4" effect="CubeZoom" duration="1000"/>
</transitions>
<recording>False</recording>
<external>False</external>
<streaming>False</streaming>
<playList>False</playList>
<multiCorder>False</multiCorder>
<fullscreen>False</fullscreen>
<audio>
<master volume="100" muted="False" meterF1="0" meterF2="0" headphonesVolume="100"/>
<busA volume="100" muted="False" meterF1="0" meterF2="0"/>
<busB volume="100" muted="False" meterF1="0" meterF2="0"/>
</audio>
</vmix>

I suppose this would make sense if we want to be able to know what we're doing, potentially to have activators available for DynStuff someday... I'm very surprized nothing is reported here.

Furthermore, I believe this has consequences when it comes to using DynStuff with the API and not the least: it simply does not seem to work at all ! Or I am the idiot of the year ! Which is possible btw but here's what I tried to do (trying to keep it as simple as possible) without any success at all

New project
2 color inputs
2 shortcuts
> shortcut 1 : numkey 1 > SetDynamicInput1 to input 1 (red color)
> shortcut 2 : numkey 2 > SetDynamicInput1 to input 2 (blue color)

Alright now I press 2. Although it does not report anywhere, I expect my input 2 to be set as Dynamic1
Let's try with a basic http request (I always start here):
http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/?function=fade&input=Dynamic1
Nothing happens ! WTF ???

Scratching my head, I decide to test by creating a new shortcut
> shortcut set to key A > fade > Dynamic1
It works ! I see my blue color input fading in PGM

Hmm !!! Now I try again with HTTP request but using the WebController way (not through the API but with direct access to internal shortcuts GUID)
http://127.0.0.1:8088/?shortcut=GUID
It works !!! But only because an extra shortcut was created.

I'm not sure I understand what is happening here but it seems DynamicInputs and DynamicValues are not implemented at the API level. They can only work internally within vMix from shortcuts "which are already defined" (when the point was to use the API dynamically for less shortcuts at the end)... I have not tested the "scripting" feature yet (I think Doggy did btw) but again this is very surprizing considering the fact that the main reason that justified this Dynamic Logic feature request was to REDUCE the number of required shortcuts. At the moment, as implemented, if I get it right, it requires even more shortcuts than before !!!

I might be totally wrong and I really hope I completely missed the point on how to use these DynamicInputs and Values because so far, as I understood it, it's pretty much useless but, again, I'm possibly the idiot of the year !

I also did some quick tests with DynamicValues and thanks to Doggy I could figure how to use them (not obvious at all). I must say I was taken aback to realize that it can only be used to set TEXT values (when any values especially numeric were expected) and how it is supposed to be working but let's talk about this later on.

I hope someone can explain I'm totally off track.

I also hope Martin will explain if the implementation is over or still work in progress and if the expectations I mentioned above are way beyond the limits or not.

Bien à vous tous
Guillaume, aka DWAM
thanks 4 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
clafarge on 11/30/2020(UTC), doggy on 11/30/2020(UTC), rudyengels on 12/2/2020(UTC), MickeyMJJ on 12/3/2020(UTC)
clafarge  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 1:38:32 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Ick. I do hope that it's just "under construction".
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2020 7:40:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
I do hope that it's just "under construction"

Me too ! Unfortunately, for the moment, one can only assume...
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 3:54:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
I would suggest reviewing the updated Dynamic help page below:

https://www.vmix.com/help24/DynamicShortcuts.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
DWAM on 12/11/2020(UTC), avsoundguy on 12/12/2020(UTC)
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 4:05:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Some further thoughts:

1. Dynamic Input and Dynamic Values are completely separate and do not overlap in any way, hence why you can use the name Dynamic1 for both without causing issues.
Dynamic1 in the context of inputs stores an input, Dynamic1 in the context of values stores the values.

2. You can absolutely call these functions from the API, but you can't retrieve the values at this time.
The primary purpose of Dynamic functions version 1 is to simplify controller shortcut layouts, which was the main intention of the feature request, at least in my mind. Apologies if you only intended to use it via the API, but from a customer perspective that is far more of a niche case and harder to justify allocating development time for.

3. It was decided to avoid using Dynamic inputs in triggers at this time. I think it would add far too much confusion if a trigger would go to some random input that could change at any time.
Not to mention making it next to impossible for us to diagnose from support perspective.

I am sorry if this is not what you wanted, but the feature was designed much broader in scope to cover what a lot of customers ask for, and I think we have achieved that.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 4:12:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Finally, I do see a bug with the Input parameter in the API, so can get that fixed in the next update.
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 5:49:07 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

@Martin

Thank you so much for taking some time to give us a clarification and updating the help files. Much appreciated. And much clearer now!

I guess we now have more information for exploring the new scopes that Dynamic functions offer and it's great ! Sorry if I felt to be disappointed at first, I was very excited to test but rapidly got confused - and so was Doggy btw - when I noticed that http requests wouldn't work. This is my first move for testing before anything else (and I'm not even sure that third party apps like UTC, VMPB or Central Control have implemented Dyn functions yet). However I now know what to focus on, I will do more testing with shortcuts and my midi controller directly.

Quote:
Finally, I do see a bug with the Input parameter in the API, so can get that fixed in the next update.

Is this what justifies that something like
http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/?function=fade&input=Dynamic1
does not work yet ?

Thanks again for the fantastic work you're doing with vMix !

Guillaume
admin  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 6:59:43 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes, due to a bug in 24 the &input=Dynamic1 does not work correctly in the API just yet.
thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
DWAM on 12/11/2020(UTC), doggy on 12/11/2020(UTC), avsoundguy on 12/12/2020(UTC), stigaard on 12/22/2020(UTC)
admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 4:04:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

New update here should hopefully cover all the suggestions and requests:

https://forums.vmix.com/...eview-Released#post86756
thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
doggy on 12/21/2020(UTC), DWAM on 12/21/2020(UTC), stigaard on 12/22/2020(UTC), eduardocfs on 12/22/2020(UTC)
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 1:22:38 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
New update here should hopefully cover all the suggestions and requests

Thank you so much Martin, you're the man ! ;o)
Everything seems to work perfectly so far, that's just fantastic and it's so great that we're very likely to ask for more very soon !!! Just kidding... Maybe not?
And the addition to the XML status will make it available for Panel Designer and other apps/dev that don't rely on activators. Very cool !

1000 merci et bien à toi !
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 12/22/2020(UTC)